The Professor Life Book Club discussion

Underground Railroad > Our July Book!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Macy (new)

Macy Skipworth (theprofessorlife) | 13 comments Mod
Hey all! Here is our selection for July. Go ahead and check out/buy/order/borrow the book...and comment here when it's in!

We are just doing the one text this time so all 46 of us can chime in on together.

Although there is one "folder" for this book, please feel free to start new "threads" so facilitate discussion! Good Reads is great as an app or on the computer, but I have found that a computer gives you more accessibility to maneuvering the group.

Can't wait to all be on the same page!

Also...tell friends and family! The more that join, the more nuanced and rich the discussion. :)

xoxo,
Macy

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyjay94) | 5 comments I picked my copy up from the library this morning and I've already read almost 75% of it. I'm just thoroughly captivated by the narrative and the plot is completely devastating but I expected to be emotionally crushed by this book. I can't wait to see what everyone else thinks about it!

message 3: by Porter (new)

Porter Taylor (porterctaylor) | 4 comments I’m really excited to participate on this one. Still only 25% through but I started yesterday morning and cannot put it down!

message 4: by Macy (new)

Macy Skipworth (theprofessorlife) | 13 comments Mod
I am admittedly behind and just now halfway through Big Magic, but I can’t WAIT to read this. I realized that I read one of Whitehead’s other books, John Henry, for a class one time and really liked his writing style.

message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (foxie_wilde) | 6 comments I feel like I'm coming a little late to the game here as July is almost over, but it's been a hectic month. However, I didn't want to write a comment until I had to time to give this book the proper attention it deserves.

This is the first one of Whitehead's books that I have read. Although at first I found it a little confusing to keep track of all the characters, after I got my head around things I was hooked and read the entire book in a matter of days. I found Whitehead's writing style gripping, as at the end of each chapter he always left me wanting to read on.

The underground railroad was something I knew little about before starting the novel, but as I read more and more, I became fascinated. The courage of both the escapees and those who ran the network and safe-houses astounds me. But something that especially struck me was the acuteness of Whitehead's comment on America in the 1800s, and the wider comment on issues of freedom and fear. The image of 'white people' being equally imprisoned by their fear whilst Cora is hiding in the attic in North Carolina made me think in particular. Overall, I found Whitehead's novel a moving and poignant reflection on both American history and this wider question of freedom.

I'd be really interested to know what everyone else thought about the novel, particularly those of American heritage given that I'm British. As an American, did you feel more of a connection to the events and history depicted in Whitehead's novel?