readers advisory for all discussion

Stephen King books

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments I have only read a couple Stephen king books and only just recently but I REALLY enjoyed them. I’m almost finished with his book The Outsider and read The Stand about a year ago. I would love to read more of them. What are some of your favorite Stephen king books?

message 2: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (bizarrojones) | 4 comments I am about 1/3 through Pet Sematary right now. I am enjoying it. It builds slow, but it is truly enjoyable. I think it may be one of his best. Deep and honest rumination on life and death and love. You can see fresh fears emerged in him as a parent, and he worked through those fears in the book. Very chilling.

message 3: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Great! I’ll check it out 😁

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) | 3 comments Stephen King is my favorite. Some of his best, IMO are:
Carrie
The Shining
The Bachman Books
Blaze (as Bachman)
It
Insomnia
The Green Mile
Bag of Bones
11/22/63
And the Mr. Mercedes trilogy

His short story collections are all great, if more of a mixed bag. If that’s your thing. Enjoy diving in!

message 5: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Awesome! ThNks!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I highly recommend It. It is not just a horror book, I promise!

message 7: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Thanks! I will

message 8: by Lily (new)

Lily | 1 comments I’ve read many of his books more than 10 years ago and now I’m reareading them. I’ve read,
Sleeping beauties 4 out of 5
The shining 5/5
Dead zone 4.5/5
The stand 5/5
Obviously I love his writing and charechter building but till now my favorite is the shining. It’s nothing like the movie if you’ve seen it.
Now a days whenever i don’t know what to read next I pick up one of Stephen kings books. They never disappoint me.

message 9: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Thanks Lily. I am reading the outsider right now and just bought sleeping beauties. I will def check out the others 😊

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry Orr | 2 comments The only book by King that I have read is 11/22/63, which I "read" as an audiobook. While I only gave it three stars, mostly because of its disappointing and unrealistic ending, I mostly enjoyed it. I would like to find similar books on the subject of time travel.

message 11: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Larry, I actually did read that one too a couple years ago. I totally forgot! I did enjoy it. There is also a mini series in amazon prime I think.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 10 comments I'm currently reading 'Salem's Lot which is campy and fun. I read The Shining in college for a class and I literally had to sleep with the lights on for a couple of nights. On Writing, though, is probably the best book of his that I've read.

message 13: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Thanks Rachel! I’ve never even thought about Salem’s lot. I’ll check it out

message 14: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (missbonnie) | 1 comments The Long Walk is one of his Bachman novels but it's one of my absolute favorites.

message 15: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Thanks! I’ll check it out 😊

message 16: by J. L. (new)

J. L. Dodd (jldodd) | 2 comments I recently read the entire Dark Tower series. This is no small undertaking, mind you, and it gets weird, really weird, at times, but it’s an amazing journey. (Don’t watch the movie though!)

I also read It, which was dreadful and horrifying in all the good ways until one small plot device threw me for a loop at the end. Still a great read though. (You should watch the movie!)

On Writing has some of the most practical, on-point advice for aspiring authors. There’s quite a bit of autobiographical content, which I found entirely riveting.

I also want to read more of King’s books, so thank you for creating this thread!

message 17: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments I read the first book of the dark tower series and it was really hard for me to get into. Have you read the stand?

message 18: by J. L. (new)

J. L. Dodd (jldodd) | 2 comments I have not read The Stand but I understand it’s one of his better ones.

The first book is very different from the rest of the series. I can appreciate it now because I continued to read, but you are right. I struggled to finish it, and wasn’t real impressed with the conclusion. I hate it when people say “Keep reading! It gets better!” But in this case it’s the absolute truth. 🙂

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet | 1 comments Dolores Claiborne. My absolute favorite.

message 20: by Lee (new)

Lee | 1 comments I"ve read a few of Stephen KIng novels, some of which were great and the others were substantially meh.

I liked Pet Sematary, The Shining, The Stand and The Long Walk.

message 21: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Do u think the long walk is appropriate for a twelve year old boy? I haven’t read it but it was on a list for middle schoolers. My son likes scary stories but I don’t want anything too adult for him

message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire Cross (clairecross) | 39 comments Shawna wrote: "Do u think the long walk is appropriate for a twelve year old boy? I haven’t read it but it was on a list for middle schoolers. My son likes scary stories but I don’t want anything too adult for him"
YES, but read it to be sure it's a good fit for your family. I encouraged both my boys to read RAGE and THE LONG WALK. Both are excellent for Tweens and Teens.

message 23: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Awesome! Thanks!

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 1 comments IT tops my list, suspenseful and extremely insightful. A fast read for a book that long.
Misery is a great book too couldn’t put it down. Highly recommend.
Been reading a lot of king lately and just finished the outsider. It was pretty good. I’ve been debating whether or not to start dark tower or the stand? Anyone have thoughts on those two?

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin Mandrell (jmandrell02) | 1 comments Desperation & The Regulators. He uses the same characters for both books, but with a twist. With the reemergence of King fandom that has taken over the last few years, both of these books should be in everyone's to read list. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, was the reason I started to read King. It is shorter but still a good story. You cant go wrong with any of his short story collections.

message 26: by Farseer88 (new)

Farseer88 | 2 comments Misery is a must - incredible thrill, suspence, craziness. Maybe you've seen the movie, but the book is worth a read on its own, anyway.

message 27: by Agustina (new)

Agustina (agustinars) | 3 comments I havent read a lot of King's work but the one that I like the most was 11/22/63