Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #16)
This topic is about Death on the Nile
Archive - Group Reads > Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie - 07/01 thru 07/21

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Jul 01, 2018 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Death on the Nile and your hostess is Gem.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contain spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.
Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot #17) by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17) by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17) by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17) by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17) by Agatha Christie

Summary

The tranquillity of a cruise along the Nile is shattered by the discovery that Linnet Ridgeway has been shot through the head. She was young, stylish and beautiful, a girl who had everything - until she lost her life. Hercule Poirot recalls an earlier outburst by a fellow passenger: 'I'd like to put my dear little pistol against her head and just press the trigger.' Yet in this exotic setting, nothing is ever quite what it seems...

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Excited that this is on sale today on Audible - I'll grab it and participate in this discussion once it's up and running!

message 3: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
Hi folks, I'll be leading our discussion for Death on the Nile. If I've ever read this on it was when I was a teenager or very young adult (so about 100 years ago, lol). I haven't read ahead but we're traveling tomorrow and I'll have some time to read on the plane. We're sightseeing on Tuesday, so I'll check in on Wednesday with thoughts.

Happy Reading!

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I loved this! Contained the best aspects of Christie and kept me engaged the whole time. I had suspicions of who the murderer was, but the delight of the book was watching Poirot puzzle it out. His "puzzling" started about 2/3 the way through the book and I loved how he would create several scenarios over the rest of the book that sounded conclusive and then show why each one was not quite right.

I can't recommend enough the audiobook with David Suchet reading. I think that greatly added to my enjoyment!

message 5: by Debra (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debra Jeakins | 1 comments Suzy wrote: "I loved this! Contained the best aspects of Christie and kept me engaged the whole time. I had suspicions of who the murderer was, but the delight of the book was watching Poirot puzzle it out. His..."

Suzy wrote: "Excited that this is on sale today on Audible - I'll grab it and participate in this discussion once it's up and running!"

message 6: by Katherine (last edited Jul 14, 2018 01:13PM) (new)

Katherine Dering | 4 comments I recently read this. And I was intrigued. I had some suspicions but I was wrong, then just as I thought I knew who it was--the big reveal. Loved how the characters were introduced and then morphed. Of course, as with any Christie I've read, there are some clues that were so obscure, there was little way to see them. But then again, that is her genius.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I saw that a new movie version of this is in discussion by Kenneth Branagh. I’m going to revisit the one with Peter Ustinov as soon as it comes from the library.

message 8: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
I'm way behind in my reading on this one. I expected to do some reading on my vacations but the best-laid plans and such.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I'm way behind in my reading on this one. I expected to do some reading on my vacations but the best-laid plans and such."

I totally relate - I always envision myself getting through a bunch of books on vacation and then rarely spend time reading!

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments I just loved it! So many twists and turns but yet you follow every word! The characters so enduring yet so devious! Brilliant

message 11: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
I'm just over halfway through and the murder has just taken place. I love the pace, all the peripheral goings-on, and kept thinking "crazy stalker girl", lol. I can't wait to see the resolution especially as I don't have a clue about whodunit!

Ninna | 32 comments I read this just a couple of months ago and I really enjoyed it. I loved the pacing, the big reveal (which I almost always get wrong with Christie - part of the reason I love her!) and the characters are so eccentric and entertaining. I read somewhere that this is not considered one of her best but I have to disagree. I, personally, enjoyed it more than Murder on the Orient Express.

Suzy - I haven't seen the Branagh Orient Express yet and I've heard mixed reviews but I usually enjoy his movies so I'd be all for him doing a new Nile movie. I saw the Ustinov version in the theaters so it's been awhile but I may check my library for it too.

message 13: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Ninna wrote: "I read this just a couple of months ago and I really enjoyed it. I loved the pacing, the big reveal (which I almost always get wrong with Christie - part of the reason I love her!) and the characte..."

Yes, the Branagh Orient Express got pretty terrible reviews. I'll loop back after I watch the Ustinov version of Nile - it's taking forever to get it from the library! I hope for better reviews of the new version of Nile!

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 9862 comments While I think Branagh, Ustinov, and Finney are all fine actors, they just don't look like Poirot. That's just one of the reasons that I prefer David Suchet's portrayal.

message 15: by Frances (new)

Frances Ohanenye | 8 comments Ah, David Suchet! If ever a man was fitted into a role, he was Hercule Poirot hands down. I still catch his interviews about Agatha Christie once in a while.

Yes, I saw the remade "Orient Express." I am used to Agatha Christie's surprised endings, so I gave up trying to guess. Still I was surprised because it was a group crime. This is a first. This was the only place I held my breath and wondered if Poirot (who plays by the rule) will have them all arrested. I was disappointed and happy at the same time because he let them get away with murder.
The story line was great. Some of the characters/roles were not.

message 16: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan | 14 comments Okay, I'm not going to use spoiler tags because it's right at the beginning, but a mansion for £60,000 and a car for £15 -- a real car that runs and doesn't have the words Hot Wheels stamped on it! Such fun to read. And I like the characters in this one. They're vibrant.

message 17: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
This book, in my opinion, is just one example of Agatha Christie at her finest. She spins an interesting tale with enough detail to keep me wanting more, but not so much that I lose focus. Then, of course, there is the murder, any number of suspects, all kinds of things going on with the characters that keep you guessing, and of course Poirot. I love to "watch" as he does what he does and in the end unpacks the solution like a Christmas gift. I didn't see the solution to these murders coming.

I have to admit that Poirot used to annoy me, but 35 years later (since the last time I've read Agatha Christie), I can see the more humane side of him. And after reading several books where the murder is known but gets away or away with it, his compassion and humanity shine through in what would otherwise be a distant, cold, and uncaring character.

Ninna said: I, personally, enjoyed it more than Murder on the Orient Express. And I absolutely agree. For me, this story met or possibly even exceeded Murder on the Orient Express which I've always counted as my favorite Agatha Christie story.

message 18: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan | 14 comments This is definitely one of Christie'sbest, well-plotted and full of interesting, three-dimensional characters. I want to know whether Poirot told Miss Van Schuyler the truth about Ferguson or just made that up to mess with her.

message 19: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Betsy wrote: "While I think Branagh, Ustinov, and Finney are all fine actors, they just don't look like Poirot. That's just one of the reasons that I prefer David Suchet's portrayal."

I agree about David Suchet. It's a reminder that Masterpiece Mystery did this one in their Poirot series, so I'll have to watch that one as well. Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but I listened to this book, read by Suchet - such a delight!

message 20: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "This book, in my opinion, is just one example of Agatha Christie at her finest. She spins an interesting tale with enough detail to keep me wanting more, but not so much that I lose focus. Then, of..."

I think it's easy to be annoyed by Poirot! He's so full of himself - the "great Poirot", but that's part of the charm for me. :)

I hadn't thought about this before, but one of the things I liked about this book was how Christie brought in the dynamics of The Great Depression. Even if she was writing about her familiar milieu of high society and their holidays, there was lots of mention of how people were being affected. Interesting.

message 21: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I liked about this book was how Christie brought in the dynamics of The Great Depression. Even if she was writing about her familiar milieu of high society and their holidays, there was lots of mention of how people were being affected."

Interesting. That went right over my head, although now that you mentioned it I see it. Part of my downfall as a read, where mysteries are concerned, is that I get terribly focused on the crime and the clues often missing things like it. Thank you for pointing that out.

message 22: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Suzy wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I liked about this book was how Christie brought in the dynamics of The Great Depression. Even if she was writing about her familiar milieu of high society and their ho..."

And now that you point out your focus on the crime/clues, it makes me realize that I am more focused on the story in mysteries with guesses at the murder(s) playing more in the back of my mind. What I love about comparing notes on specific books with other readers - a chance to reflect on your approach to reading, not just the book in question. :)

message 23: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "What I love about comparing notes on specific books with other readers - a chance to reflect on your approach to reading, not just the book in question."
So true. I'm contemplating a foray into classic Russian literature. I definitely need to think about my reading "style" if you will and how I process information on topics I know little to nothing about.

Louise Culmer | -8 comments it's quite good, though not one of my favourites. The murder.location chosen seems most unwise to me - too few people crowded into a small space, too.many chances of being seen etc. And I find Poirot's affection for Jacqueline inexplicable - she was a ruthless murderer.