Play Book Tag discussion

2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Buddy Read Discussion-Cloud Atlas-Hide Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Jun 27, 2018 04:21PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Cloud Atlas

Pop your name in so I know if you want to buddy! Thanks

message 2: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I’m not sure I’ll manage to get to it but will make an effort :)

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I hope I'll finish this, I'm in!

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments I want to take a try in this. I’m in.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Sharon wrote: "I want to take a try in this. I’m in."

Oh wonderful! I am going to library to get my copy before I leave town on Sunday-I will be spending time in Philly with a friend I have not seen in ages, will surely get some reading in, but won't be on-line to much-back on the tenth and will be checking in!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments So happy to have found some buddies! This book really intrigued me-looking forward to sharing it~!

message 7: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I'm in too! Not sure how I'm going to like this but it seems like a really interesting premise.

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments How's everyone coming along here? I'm 18% into this and it's holding my attention. Currently on the second POV, and though the shift was abrupt, the explanation for it came along soon enough that I found it intriguing. I've watched the movie so I know a little of how it's going to be, but I can't remember storylines from the movie anymore (I just have this picture of Tom Hanks in rough clothing and speaking a weird language constantly in my mind), so it's all new to me.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments annapi wrote: "How's everyone coming along here? I'm 18% into this and it's holding my attention. Currently on the second POV, and though the shift was abrupt, the explanation for it came along soon enough that I..."

I got the book from the library before I left town,and then forgot to pack it! Returning home on Sunday and will dig right in.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments Haven’t started yet. Still reading another book..

message 11: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I'm at 47%, just finished the first actual dystopian part of the book. I must say, the mind that can conceive such incredible creativity must be fascinating!

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments annapi wrote: "How's everyone coming along here? I'm 18% into this and it's holding my attention. Currently on the second POV, and though the shift was abrupt, the explanation for it came along soon enough that I..."

Got through "The Pacific Journal", will move onto the next story today. So far, so good. This is way "out of the box" for me, but enjoyed the first bit. And I actually learned a new word "Hawser"~!

message 13: by annapi (last edited Jul 10, 2018 11:28PM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I'm at 80% (page 411) and have just 2 1/2 more sections to go. It's almost as if Mitchell took 6 of his ideas for a story and stuck them together to create a full-sized novel. I think that the crazy 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1 format might have annoyed me if I hadn't seen the movie first, though I don't know - I might just as easily have been intrigued from the get-go. I'm certainly enjoying it though I can't say I love it. Now I will have to go back to the movie just to see it again once I've finished the book.

message 14: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Finished! I must say it went faster than I expected, and I enjoyed it more than I expected. Posted my review.

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments annapi wrote: "Finished! I must say it went faster than I expected, and I enjoyed it more than I expected. Posted my review."

It will be a awhile before I finish-5 other books on my night stand at the moment-lol-I have to stop doing that! I am going to avoid all the other reviews until I am a bit farther a long. So far, I know I would like to discuss a few things with the other readers! Looking forward to that nearer to months end.

message 16: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Just finished the first part (I know I'm incredibly slow I'm sorry) and I thought it was interesting although I'm glad I saw the movie first for this one or else I think I would be too confused right now to keep going.

About to dive in to the second part!

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Guess it is time for me admit: I had no idea this was made into a movie.
I think that is a good thing though, because I doubt I would have signed on to read it. I just cannot visulize this on the "big screen". I am only half way through the second entry Magdalena, so don't have any worries you that you are at the back of the pack alone ;)

message 18: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Don't give up on it, just keep going. There will be resolution in the end!

message 19: by Magdalena (last edited Jul 14, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Finished the second entry. It's fascinating, I don't think I've ever read anything quite like it.

message 20: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Just finished the third part. I think it was my least favorite so far but I did like the way it was tied into the last story. Very clever.

message 21: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Magdalena wrote: "Just finished the third part. I think it was my least favorite so far but I did like the way it was tied into the last story. Very clever."

I am in the middle of part 3 and I am feeling the same. It may be that I love all things in the past and this section is not that.

message 22: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Yes exactly, I love historical fiction more than almost any other genre so I knew I'd probably like the first two stories the most.
Finished the forth part and I thought it was interesting although I wasn't really rooting for the main character.

message 23: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Really struggling to get this read-The writing is first rate, the genre(my first and probably last exposure) just not my thing. I have a free afternoon, so going to take myself and the book out into the sunshine and try to make some progress

message 24: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments You're not alone and I agree 100%. The writing is astounding but I just can't seem to make it though the fifth story. It's just really not my kind of thing. I've thought about skipping the fifth story for now but I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to come back to it. Enjoy the sunshine hopefully it'll inspire you to get reading!

message 25: by Joanne (last edited Jul 20, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Magdalena wrote: "You're not alone and I agree 100%. The writing is astounding but I just can't seem to make it though the fifth story. It's just really not my kind of thing. I've thought about skipping the fifth st..."

I got through the 3rd story, started on the 4th...(view spoiler) Now I am just curious as how this is all going to come to together-annapi says there is closure at the end, so I am going to believe her and keep muddling through

message 26: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Ok about 7 days to finish, and I will finish-but the 4th story is killing me.....3/4 of the way through with it and I am hoping the rest of the book does not bog me down like this-absolutely hating when I know I have to pick it up and go on...LOL-gonna kick into high gear this afternoon and move on..

message 27: by Joanne (last edited Jul 23, 2018 04:21PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Feeling like I am here all alone, but that;s ok.....made it through the 4th story and moving on...

message 28: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Like everyone, the writing is good, but it's a little hard to wrap your brain around. The stories do interconnect though. Watch the movie afterwards - the comparison is interesting and adds to the reading experience.

message 29: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Colleen wrote: "Like everyone, the writing is good, but it's a little hard to wrap your brain around. The stories do interconnect though. Watch the movie afterwards - the comparison is interesting and adds to the ..."

Thanks Colleen-not much of a movie person, but I may give in an view it in hopes of getting more out of the book. Started the 5th story and committed to finish

message 30: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Finished-Thank God!!!-review being posted