Christian Historical Fiction discussion

Any books set in Philadelphia? or London?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amandasaved (new)

Amandasaved Hello all!

Are there any books that you know of that are set in either Philadelphia or London? I live in and travel to and from these cities annually and I am very curious as to what historical novels take place in these towns. It seems with Christian fiction a lot of novels takes place in small towns.

message 3: by Charmaine (last edited Aug 16, 2009 12:13PM) (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments If I remember correctly, The Falcon and The Sparrow takes place in England. Correct me if I'm wrong, Margaret! Oh, but I don't know if it's London, though, but it seems like it.

message 4: by Amandasaved (new)

Amandasaved I've read "A lady of high devotion" and the other ladies books in that series and the pace was a bit slow for my taste, although the over all story was good. I'll Have to look into the Falcon and the Sparrow.

Now no one knows of any novels which take place in Philadelphia?

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
Charmaine wrote: "If I remember correctly, The Falcon and The Sparrow takes place in England. Correct me if I'm wrong, Margaret! Oh, but I don't know if it's London, though, but it seems like it."

It is England and France, I'm pretty sure the main city is London...

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 15 comments I think some of Ruth Axtell Morren's Regency series is set in London.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Philadelephia...hmm, I believe that a book or two from The Shiloh Legacy series by Brock and Bodie Thoene are set in Philadelphia. I know the second one does for sure. It's set during the roaring twenties and right after WW2A Thousand Shall Fall
There's Actually four in the series. She wrote the fourth one later. I'll have to look through my other books to see if there are more

message 8: by Amandasaved (new)

Amandasaved Oh wonderful! I am always on the look out to see books set in Philadelphia, and I love the 1920s. I'll have to look into that.

message 9: by Linore (new)

Linore (linrose) | 10 comments My two books are set in London. Before the Season Ends, and, The House in Grosvenor Square. The third book, (which can be pre-ordered, but won't be out until January) is set in Middlesex, which is traveling distance from London, even during the Regency. I think Margaret has read both the books, and really liked them. (Right, Margaret?) : )

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Yep, it's just the second book that is set in Philadelphia. Each book tells the story of a family having to deal with the reprecussions of the Great War. It's a good series despite the fact they all aren't set in Philadelphia

message 11: by Margaret (new)

I have yet to get my hands on the second one, but I have and love the first one. :)

message 12: by Linore (new)

Linore (linrose) | 10 comments Thanks, Margaret!
Are you a writer too? Right now is a great time to get the second one, because I'm running a contest for writers. Anyone who emails me a receipt for any of my books is entered in a drawing for a full free edit from me--up to 300 pages.
And besides--lots of people like the second one better than the first! So don't wait--I'd love to know your opinion!!
Thanks, and hugs,
Linore

message 13: by Amandasaved (new)

Amandasaved Wonderful!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments The last book in The Carolina Cousin Series by Michael Phillips is set in Philadelphia too. Well, they don't start out there, but they travel by train there. All about the KKK and the south's mentality and slavery.

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Linore wrote: "Thanks, Margaret!
Are you a writer too? ..."

Nope, just an avid reader and book review blogger.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments You should totally check out her blog! It's good.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Jennifer wrote: "You should totally check out her blog! It's good."

You're too sweet! thanks Jennifer

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments :D No prob!