What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Story of a young girl who runs away and lives in the woods.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jorjann (new)

Jorjann Walther | 1 comments In the early 70s I read a book about a young girl who ran away. She lived in the woods in a big hollowed out tree. She found a dog, worked occasionally in a local store. She got sick at one point and was assisted by a man who lived in a cabin in the woods. At the end of the book she had decided to go home.

message 2: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 193 comments Do you remember where the story was set? In the US or another country? Why did she run away? Where from? Was she hiding from someone/something, or was she trying to be a survivalist? Was it a "modern" setting, or in the past? Any of these bits of info may help us narrow it down.

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments I know I read this, but unfortunately I also cannot remember the title or author. If what I am thinking of is, in fact, the same book, it was set in modern (at the time) times and in the US or Canada or unspecified. I don't remember why the girl ran away, but she went prepared to live in the wilderness, it wasn't like she suddenly found herself in the woods with no supplies or anything like that.

message 4: by Aerulan (last edited Jun 27, 2018 03:58PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1247 comments Are you sure it was a girl protagonist? It's a long shot but My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George is a bit similar, but it's a boy who runs away and lives in a hollowed out tree. It was first published in '59 so it would have been available when you read yours, and I know some of the books I read as a kid the boy hero got mentally translated into a heroine, so I thought it worth a mention.
There's also a sequel where the boy's sister comes to stay.

You might take a look at these lists of wilderness survival fiction and see if anything jumps out at you
Middle_Grade_YA_Wilderness_Survival_Stories

Best_Wilderness_Survival_Books

message 5: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 989 comments It's on my To Read list so I'm not sure if it's a match, but maybe Harry Mazer's The Island Keeper?

message 6: by bookel (last edited Jul 07, 2018 05:34AM) (new)

bookel | 2516 comments http://www.librarything.com/work/1346...
Charley by Joan G Robinson?
Alternate title: The girl who ran away.

message 7: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Charley for the link.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Jorjann, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 10: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments Or Jasmin?

message 11: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 399 comments The House Without Windows by Barbara Newhall Follett?