50 books to read before you die discussion

An Officer and a Spy
This topic is about An Officer and a Spy
Book Recommendations > a gripping book

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 73 comments This is one of the best I've read for a long time. Especially amazing because it is based on a true occurrence.
My review is here: An Officer and a Spy An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Based on a true circumstance of the Dreyfus case, which began in 1894, this book tells the story of a French Army Colonel Georges Picquart, who risks everything to expose the hidden truth about a man condemned to a solitary exile after conviction of treason. As he becomes more and more convinced of the man's innocence, he winds up on the wrong side of powerful officers and bureaucrats who control his own destiny, as well as the French public who are convinced of Lt. Dreyfus' guilt. (Being a Jew born in Alsace does not win Dreyfus much sympathy, either, as the anti-Semitic movement is pronounced at this time.)
Robert Harris masterfully conjectures what may have been going on in Picquart's mind during this this 12 year ordeal; he is no fervent zealot for the condemned man, for whom he has no personal fondness, nor does he have any desire to be a hero; it seems that he would be satisfied making a career of serving the Army that he loves. Nevertheless he is compelled to seek truth and justice.
This was our read-aloud book a couple of months ago. My husband vetoes approximately 90 percent of the books we start as he finds them boring (including most of the really good ones!). This one kept him as intrigued as it did me. It's really a gripping book.

View all my reviews

message 2: by Christine (last edited Jun 27, 2018 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine Nancy wrote: "This is one of the best I've read for a long time. Especially amazing because it is based on a true occurrence.
My review is here:

An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris
My rating: 5 of 5 stars..."

My husband read that and loved it, I have yet to get around to reading it.

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 73 comments Yes, it is the kind of book a guy would like also. It has to be really good, otherwise my husband nixes it and says, read it to yourself. Short attention span!