Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Marketing and Reviewing Topics > Book Promotion - Q1

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
What do you feel is the difference between promoting your book and spamming? Any advice from readers about how you like a book to be presented to you?

message 2: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
In my opinion, promoting a book is a long slow road of building relationships between a book and a potential fan. Much advice out on the internet suggests posting your book over and over again on every media outlet available to you, but this is not productive. If a reader is not searching for a book and get accosted by it in the wrong context, then they are given a negative impression of the book rather than a positive impression. Preferably, it is good to promote one's book in the correct context to give the most favorable impression possible.

For me, Goodreads provides a great place to promote, but to interrupt a discussion on any social media with a blatant promotion is spamming. This, of course, is my opinion, and I created this post to open a dialogue. Marketing is really just doing what works. So what works for you?

message 3: by Steve (last edited Jul 03, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Steve Pillinger | 517 comments Mod
I agree with you, Lara, that the difference between book promotion that wins friends and influences people—and spamming—is sensitivity to the context. Just as no-one likes a person who barges into a conversation without any regard for who's already talking, or what they're saying, so also as a reader I react negatively to book-promoters who bung their blurb anywhere and everywhere regardless of context. That to me is spamming, and I'm very unlikely to buy a book promoted that way!

message 4: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) People who only friend you on Goodreads so they can share their book with you is very spammy. Sometimes you can spot an author who does this by their profile - loads of friends and groups but few books on their shelves.