Play Book Tag discussion

The Power
This topic is about The Power
2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Buddy Read Discussion: The Power - Hide Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (last edited Jul 11, 2018 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Welcome to anyone who is interested in reading The Power for the July Decathlon Challenge and/or the July dystopia tag!

Please feel free to discuss if you have read this book before

The people I have so far are:
Jason
Jenny
Jgrace
JoLene
J.W.
Kimberly
Ladyslott
Rachel
ShazM

If other people chime in, then I can add you to this list so that it makes for easy reporting for the Decathlon Challenge.

Looking forward to diving in!

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Jun 27, 2018 08:54PM) (new) - added it

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 733 comments Hi Jason,
I'm still going to read The Power (as indicated in the title of this comment), but in your opening comment it says 'Red Clocks'. Can you confirm which book it is please?! 😂😊

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi Jason,
I'm still going to read The Power (as indicated in the title of this comment), but in your opening comment it says 'Red Clocks'. Can you confirm which book it is please?! 😂😊"

It is The Power. Fixing now.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments I’m out of the Power. Can’t fit it in. A certain someone says I have to fly through all of my books and get to Beartown immediately.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Amy, that person. Gave you good advice, whoever that was. I'll remove your name when I get a chance.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments Add me to the Amy finally gets to Beartown thread.

ShazM | 389 comments I'm going to read The Power too

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Will be starting tomorrow.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments ShazM wrote: "I'm going to read The Power too"

You are added Shaz.

message 10: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 733 comments Have started reading & really enjoying it - I don't think it's going to take me long to read!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Started yesterday. 25% done. Fast read.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I am starting this today.

message 13: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I probably won’t start until next week. I actually did start it a couple weeks ago, but wasn’t in the right mind space.

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 841 comments I just picked up The Power today. I'll start reading it in the next couple of days. Can you please add me to the list? Thanks!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I plan to start this in the next day or two. I'm so looking forward to it.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Kimber wrote: "I just picked up The Power today. I'll start reading it in the next couple of days. Can you please add me to the list? Thanks!"

You are added.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Albany Georgia is mentioned in The Power. Represent! I'm from Leesburg Ga but it's the same thing really. Fun note. 2008 (i think) Albany had the highest murder rate per capita in the United States and is always in the top 10.

ShazM | 389 comments I'm about a quarter of the way through so far. Not sure what I think of it yet but it is a fast read. Interesting idea.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Albany Georgia is mentioned in The Power. Represent! I'm from Leesburg Ga but it's the same thing really. Fun note. 2008 (i think) Albany had the highest murder rate per capita in the United States..."

I'm going to start this book today or tomorrow. Albany was in the top 10 for murder rates? I would never have thought that. Consistently you always see places like Gary, Indiana and Chicago. I've grown to expect those. I lived in a suburb of Indianapolis when I was younger and everyone knew not to drive through Gary!!

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Here is the info. Struggling with a poor economy, in 1988 Albany made national headlines as the "Murder Capital of America," with the highest murder rate per capita in the United States. Other cities have since taken that title.

I did learn recently, in the past several years, that the murder rate has dropped and is #7 in Georgia. Not in the top 25 in the US anymore.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Here is the info. Struggling with a poor economy, in 1988 Albany made national headlines as the "Murder Capital of America," with the highest murder rate per capita in the United States. Other citi..."

Well thats good! When you look at the list of top 10 you can always see a pattern. Depressed economy is always one of them.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I like this story and I like what the author is trying to say, atleast what I think he is trying to say, but I am finding the reading to be a struggle. it's not the writing or story or subject matter, but it's really straight forward. I feel like I can already see the end but I'm only on 8 years to go. Maybe the story is too straight forward or maybe all the reviews and discussion on this book already but there are no cliff hangers or twists. I feel like I'm forcing myself to sit and read it.

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Jason wrote: "I like this story and I like what the author is trying to say, atleast what I think he is trying to say, but I am finding the reading to be a struggle. it's not the writing or story or subject matt..."

Yeah, I wrote in my review:

"For the rest of you, I thought this book was more thought provoking than actually fun to read."

I gave it a fourth star for being intellectually interesting, but in so far as actually being engaging - - it was no more than a three for me.

ShazM | 389 comments I am really struggling to keep up interest in this. I thought it was an interesting premise and, of course, you can't miss the social message but I'm reading along as first this happens and then that happens but I'm thinking yeah, yeah, this is boring! It is easy to read so I'll continue but I might find it hard to review.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments Truthfully, despite all of the amazing raves, I wasn’t trying to trying this one. I thought it wouldn’t be for me. I have enjoyed listening though to the discussion, and considering it’s a premise. It’s been interesting to follow all the buddy Read discussions. It feels a little fly on the wall. There are some books you almost don’t have to read to be part of the discussion. I’m hoping the power takes that role and shape for me. Sorry some of you guys aren’t enjoying it as much.

ShazM | 389 comments I've finished it and left a pretty brief review because I'm not really sure what to say without spoilers! I've only given it two stars. It's left me feeling a bit uncomfortable really and disappointed somehow.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm almost 40% though this book and I'm finding it difficult to explain what I think. The authors writing is very good and her descriptions deeply powerful. I don't feel much about the characters, which is really a big thing for me. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I almost quit the book early while reading about the father. If the character had not done what she did I'm pretty sure I would have been done. But the author redeemed herself for me.:)
I find myself struggling to continue reading it, all the while wanting to read it just to see what happens. I'm not sure if I'm being clear but this is where my head is right now reading this book.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Rachel, I know exactly what you mean about wanting to continue but struggling to read at the same time. I'm just a touch ahead of you.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Rachel, I know exactly what you mean about wanting to continue but struggling to read at the same time. I'm just a touch ahead of you."

So glad I'm not the only one.:) Its such a strange thing for me. But I am intrigued and will continue on.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, I know so many like this book. I am struggling. I keep going because I really do want to know what happens. I think she is a very good writer. I just don’t like the story at all.

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 841 comments I started reading The Power this morning. Only on page 29, but so far so good. It's holding my interest, and I'm curious where the story will go.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Kimber wrote: "I started reading The Power this morning. Only on page 29, but so far so good. It's holding my interest, and I'm curious where the story will go."

I hope you love it. I truly do. I still can't explain exactly what I'm struggling with but I do know I can't put the book down because I must know what happens. She is a good writer.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I’m 60% through and not at all sure where I’m leaning on this one b

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Just picked up The Power at the Tattered Cover at Union Station. Please add me to the list doing this buddy read. Thanks.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Will do J.W.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

ShazM wrote: "I've finished it and left a pretty brief review because I'm not really sure what to say without spoilers! I've only given it two stars. It's left me feeling a bit uncomfortable really and disappoin..."

I've finished it now as well. I'm holding off a review for now. I gave it a 3 star because I think the author is a good writer. I can imagine with the #MeToo movement this book has become very popular. The U.S. a well as globally are in a cultural shift like one we have not seen in some time. I don't want to say too much as to give anything away but in the end is the world really better off in this book? A world ran by either gender can be cruel.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I don't see how you can really review this book without spoilers and this book begs to be discussed so most of my thoughts will be under the spoiler tag.

Brief overview of the book.   Women develop a power that is believed to be a suppressed gene. They have the power of electricity and can use that power through their hands.  This power shifts the male,female roles.

I found the book to be mainly boring.  The ending is obvious from the beginning.  The themes are strong and in your face. The plot is very linear with no twists and turns for the first 60% of the book.  A few twists come into the book towards the end, which makes the reading more enjoyable, but still not a great read. The discussion of this book is priceless.  Great social themes are raised from gender roles, abuse, empowerment, generalizations, religion, the corruption of power, and fear.

(view spoiler)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments I am about 150 pages into this book and there is nothing impressive to me about the writing or the story to this point. So far the story line is old and worn out with no glimmer of a new take except to find new methods to try to distort the issues. Hoping the second half is better, but so far really not seeing what all the excitement for this book was about.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Jw. A few minor twists come after about 60% but yes, the story is not very good. It's the social issues that make this book so discussable that I liked.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "I don't see how you can really review this book without spoilers and this book begs to be discussed so most of my thoughts will be under the spoiler tag.

Brief overview of the book.   Women deve..."

It's really almost impossible to discuss this book without giving away spoilers. I agree Jason, I thought this book was so boring but I continued to read because I really did want to know what was going to happen. The themes and points are very in your face and there were times, as a woman I was very done with it. There are amazing social themes that can and I'm sure will be discussed here but as a woman, who has faced inequalities I do not like when things are taken to the extreme. I hate violence, I do not like heated conversations that turn from intellectual to the opposite extreme of no longer making sense. As a woman I have watched and been offended by some of the extremes as I think it not only gets women no where but makes us look might I say....dumb.:) As I read this book thats what I felt at times. I just sat shaking my head.
(view spoiler)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I’m struggling to finish this book. I feel no connection to any of the characters, save one. I do not get the hype b

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I’m struggling to finish this book. I feel no connection to any of the characters, save one. I do not get the hype b"

I feel the same way. While I appreciate the attempt to explore social issues, I feel as though the author gave up on developing quality characters or story line as a sacrifice to the political agenda. The unfortunate side is her take on the social issues is far less convincing given the fact that there is no emotional connection to the characters. I want to be rooting for someone, but there is simply no one to root for. Very disappointing, especially given that I was hopeful for a strong feminine text.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I find it difficult to root for any character in this book. They go from a patriarchal society to one that is frighteningly controlled by women who abuse their power to a point that is far worse than what the men were doing. It was difficult for me to connect with any of the characters because of this. I can't even think like this. This power, did they truly think it would change anything?

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Rachel wrote: "I find it difficult to root for any character in this book. They go from a patriarchal society to one that is frighteningly controlled by women who abuse their power to a point that is far worse th..."

Such an excellent point Rachel. I am about 200 pages into the book. Up to this point the only takeaway I have from the book is that no matter which group has the controlling authority corruption will manifest itself the same. Interesting though that it presents this truth from both a political and religious standpoint. Overall though, I find this book has little redeeming value at least this far in.

ShazM | 389 comments I don't feel that the women in the book are worse than the men but, perhaps naively, I feel disappointed that the women were not better than the men. After all, it is often suggested that a world run by women would be gentler and fairer and I suppose I would like to believe that would be true. Unfortunately, I think it is more likely that this book is correct and that power is just as likely to corrupt women as men. I think the book also highlights another obvious truth in that when there is a shift in the balance of power the previous owners of the power are going to fight to keep it.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I finished it, and overall it’s a 3 Star Read. Overall it was a rather unpleasant read.

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Hoping to finish this in the next few days. Down to 100 pages left and still not impressed with the writing.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who struggled with this book. It got such great reviews. It's so strange but I always feel a little guilty when I don't love a book that so many people love.

message 49: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3111 comments I want to thank you all. I've enjoyed this discussion including the spoilers. And now I don't feel any need to read the book. ;).

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Jgrace wrote: "I want to thank you all. I've enjoyed this discussion including the spoilers. And now I don't feel any need to read the book. ;)."

I think the discussion has been good, and the group has done a great job of discussing without revealing the spoilers. I have enjoyed it as well.

« previous 1