Audiobooks discussion

Ask Audible > Was this review helpful for you?!!!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 36 comments Hello - - Can you help me?
All of us Audible listener's know that each customer's posted review of an Audible book is followed by the question Was this review helpful for you? followed by the Helpful / Not Helpful boxes (or in some cases the Anonymous Troll Attack button). Since the recent format change to the Audible site, I've noticed that when I do select a box, my choice of Helpful or Not Helpful does not show up. Doing due diligence before contacting Audible, I tracked the books where I had made my Helpful or Not Helpful choice and noticed that the tally of "X of X people found this review helpful" didn't go up or down. After weeks of tracking this curiosity, I finally contacted Audible by phone and was told by the Technician that he would file a report...zzz-zz-zz.... Then a few weeks later I contacted Audible by email and finally received a reply that cited the format change and continued on with a confusing explanation about the votes for Helpful or Not Helpful no longer being used by members but only for your personal Listener Page. [Whaaat?] It made no sense. So, I sent another email saying that my issue was not addressed at all in their reply; that I 1) still had the same issue of not being able to activate my Helpful / Not Helpful choice, and now I was 2) very interested in just exactly who are these people making the Helpful / Not Helpful tally go up or down if not other members (if them, why not me? I vote nice!). I still have not heard back from Audible, but would sure appreciate some clarification.
Thank you!

message 2: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3792 comments I have noticed that the helpful/not helpful total doesn't change when I select one of them... it used to. But I haven't checked back to see if the totals changed later. I'll be checking now and am interested in the answer Audible gives you.

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 36 comments Jeanie wrote: "I have noticed that the helpful/not helpful total doesn't change when I select one of them... it used to. But I haven't checked back to see if the totals changed later. I'll be checking now and am ..."Someone is making those numbers move!

message 4: by Simon (new)

Simon | 15 comments I've seen on Audible UK that normally when you press the button the totals stay the same but it says "You have voted on this review".

Wait a few mins and then refresh the page and the updated totals appear.

message 5: by Mel (last edited Jun 27, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 36 comments Simon wrote: "I've seen on Audible UK that normally when you press the button the totals stay the same but it says "You have voted on this review".

Wait a few mins and then refresh the page and the updated tota..."

I have tried that with no luck. Appreciate the input.

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon | 15 comments Okay, Audible do seem to be generally reducing the site function and making even simple features like listing pre-orders less convenient.

I'm a bit surprised because it should be a growth area for Amazon and competition is growing.

message 7: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments I have disliked the new format from the beginning. They took away the option to see what the people who do the most reviews thought. That was my go to. I want to know what people who read a lot think about a book, not what a person who reads 3 books a year think.

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 36 comments ✨Susan✨ wrote: "I have disliked the new format from the beginning. They took away the option to see what the people who do the most reviews thought. That was my go to. I want to know what people who read a lot thi..."

Not to be a pessimistic pain in the posterior...but I see no value in the new format at all. It's impersonal, sanitized and isolative in my view. I miss reading the reviews from people I followed and I'm not going to bookmark all of those people! That whole idea seemed a little inconsiderate to me--self-important of Audible. I am relying more on other sites for recommendations and also getting audiobooks from other sites, but miss the old Audible community. I've stopped reviewing there. And still, I haven't had an answer about who is rating these reads or why my choices are not tallied.

message 9: by Simon (last edited Jul 08, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Simon | 15 comments Can only agree with both of you.

Some of the decisions they have made seem bizarre to me. Another example is that I use the pre-order feature a lot to track new releases. On the old page when I went there I got the perfect listing of all the pre-orders in the order they were due.

Now they are in the order they were purchased with no option to re-sort that I can see. Most odd is that the default is only to list pre-orders that were purchased within the last 90 days. I can't imagine that being what anyone would want! (Though as ever I'm happy to be corrected!)

message 10: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments The latest I just dealt with today is that they credited a deleted card with a refund. They said I had to call the bank and have them process the refund. I have let them know through an email how archaic this computer process is, also after you delete a card they should not have access to it any longer. Going to see what my bank has to say about this. Maybe a refund for every book on that card? I did not start this but I will finish it. Terrible customer service.

message 11: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Simon wrote: "Can only agree with both of you.

Some of the decisions they have made seem bizarre to me. Another example is that I use the pre-order feature a lot to track new releases. On the old page when I we..."

I've just lost 10+ lines of a post to you. Anyway, try FictFact (https://www.fictfact.com/bookreleasec...#) They have a book release calendar, which shows which books are to be released on each day. Sorts by book title, also showing author and series. It does help, more than Audible's Coming Soon, which defaults to sorting by "Relevance," though what it's relevant to, is a mystery.

Going off now to fume at my keyboard, on account of the lost post.

message 12: by Simon (new)

Simon | 15 comments Catbookmom, THANKS, I will give that a try later. In the meantime I will pray for your keyboard :-)

The new releases page is another of their strange updates. You used to be able to sort them in the order of what was actually coming next but now you have to sort by newest arrivals and work your way backwards through the list. Sometimes I wonder if they are trying to stop me finding any books they don't choose to publicise. I'd love someone from Audible to explain what the thinking behind all this really is.

As for the "relevance" thing it does seem quite random. It's certainly presented me with some great suggestions but half of what comes up even very early in the list I can't even begin to imagine what relevance it has to me.

Maybe they should invite some of us to beta-test these updates . . .

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 36 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Simon wrote: "Can only agree with both of you.

Some of the decisions they have made seem bizarre to me. Another example is that I use the pre-order feature a lot to track new releases. On the old ..."

Argghhh! I hate when that happens! I do that so often writing reviews that I've just stopped.
Thanks for the suggestions and I'm going to check out fict/fact immediately. And Simon, good luck getting any explanation from Audible...I'm still waiting for an answer to my original inquiry.

message 14: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3792 comments I think updates to the web site make sense to the IT person designing them... lots of bells and whistles and the latest trendy navigation links, buttons, tabs and panels. But this isn't a person who actually uses the site or listens to audiobooks... they know design, not the product. And since the people at Audible know audiobooks and not web design, they are held hostage to the changes until the howl from their customers reaches a sufficient level that they can force the designer to give up their precious ideas. Minimizing and "simplifying" for smart phone screens appears to be the single factor relevant to web designers nowadays... never mind what the customers want or need, just make the screen look right--right according to IT people, not necessarily customers. We are expected to just get used to it and cope with the new design... we always have in the past.

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 36 comments Well put.

message 16: by CatBookMom (last edited Jul 10, 2018 11:26PM) (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Jeanie wrote: "I think updates to the web site make sense to the IT person designing them... lots of bells and whistles and the latest trendy navigation links, buttons, tabs and panels. But this isn't a person wh..."

Well said. We've discussed before now that many of the updates in the last few years were perhaps helpful to those who were becoming dedicated smartphone users, rather than those of us who were sticking to our PCs. Now it seems that Audible has moved even further on toward mobile devices.
Or maybe, as you've stated, there's now a really wide disconnect between the developers and even the audiobook staff at Audible, let alone the long-term Audible customers/users. (yeah; my first book purchase was 2007; can't verify now, date was re-set by Audible to 2012)

message 17: by Janet (last edited Jul 11, 2018 07:41AM) (new)

Janet Martin (janmaus) | 28 comments ✨Susan✨ wrote: "I have disliked the new format from the beginning. They took away the option to see what the people who do the most reviews thought. That was my go to. I want to know what people who read a lot thi..."

Of course you assume that the person who reads 300 books a year actually posts more than 3 reviews. Not only that, one is only allowed to review books actually purchased from Audible, and many of us who are voracious listeners use additional sources such as OverDrive, Recorded Books Digital, Scribd, Hoopla, etc

message 18: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Janet wrote: "✨Susan✨ wrote: "I have disliked the new format from the beginning. They took away the option to see what the people who do the most reviews thought. That was my go to. I want to know what people wh..."

I think Jeanie said it well above. The folks in the IT department are not avid users of the site and that has made it frustrating and dysfunctional for the rest of us.

message 19: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3736 comments I have long suspected that if one writes a review critical of a book, those who like it are quick to click the thumbs down.

message 20: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 36 comments John, I’ve noticed the same thing. And I wonder if the anonymity encourages negative little trolls. I’m still waiting to find out who is voting; mine aren’t showing up!

message 21: by Simon (last edited Jul 26, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Simon | 15 comments Worth noting on the positive side that on Audible UK they have introduced an "Edit Review" button and it works very well.

Bravo.

On the negative voting, it's amazing how some books can attract quite passionate detractors leaving just negative reviews for books with almost overwhelmingly positive ratings. The recent Audible production of Unseen Academicals is a good case in point.

message 22: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 36 comments Simon wrote: "Worth noting on the positive side that on Audible UK they have introduced an "Edit Review" button and it works very well.

Bravo.

On the negative voting, it's amazing how some books can attract qu..."

I'll have to take a look. I just had to adapt to losing that *community* with the change. But everything changes and soon I'm sure everything will probably all be an Amazon thing.
Simon wrote: "Worth noting on the positive side that on Audible UK they have introduced an "Edit Review" button and it works very well.

Bravo.

On the negative voting, it's amazing how some books can attract qu..."

message 23: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | -2 comments I’m debating even leaving reviews since I’m about 50/50 with helpful vs not helpful votes. It doesn’t seem to matter if I’ve written something really thoughtful or just a one liner. Some of the “not helpfuls” came when I didn’t gush over a popular author.

message 24: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3736 comments I totally hear you on those sentiments. However, it doesn't stop me from telling it as I see it.

message 25: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1228 comments I don't care how people vote on my reviews. I look at reviews a lot when deciding what to buy, and I rarely remember to mark if it was helpful or not. I still don't understand why they took away the ability to follow specific reviewers. I was more influenced by someone who has had similar tastes to me in the past. I had some people following me (not a lot but some) and I felt my reviews would help them whether they voted or not.

message 26: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Hudson | 7 comments Robin wrote: "I don't care how people vote on my reviews. I look at reviews a lot when deciding what to buy, and I rarely remember to mark if it was helpful or not. I still don't understand why they took away th..."

Robin, I miss that feature as well. I used that a lot to help me find new authors in the old days. If a reviewer liked a few of the same things I liked, I would read their reviews and if they liked an author I hadn't read, I'd give it them a try. I found some now favorites that way. I don't remember click the helpful/not helpful thing very often either. On products I tend to think about it more, especially when they are obviously fake reviews or bot reviews...then I mark them unhelpful, but on books I'm usually going through fairly fast...I should really try to remember more often.

message 27: by Ron (new)

Ron Shaw | 422 comments As a reviewer for promos ( I need to get to my backlog!!!) I take a great deal of time to contextualize the plot (3-4 decent sentences) with either similar Movie(s) or Book(s) or a personal viewpoint to give a plot / context idea without spoilers. Then I extol the narrator, giving it as straight as I can while avoiding insults (2-3 sentences), then give an opinion as to whether or not I want / would buy more / previous installments (3-4 decent sentences) the majority of my reviews since December 2017 when I started (joined this group) have received 1 vote or less.

Therefore after posting the US DD a few days ago, I decided to peek down at what constituted a helpful vote so I could improve my own reviews. First review Rated 5 Helpful votes, I thought Ok, this is gonna be great.... I saw the review... I was speechless...

1 line of text, 3 typos, 2 sentence fragments separated by a comma and a third sentence fragment after a period.
It essentially read (paraphrasing) 'The setting descriptions were beautiful, the characters were like-able. I hope the author does more work with Audible.'

I thought to myself I must be doing something terribly wrong if my reviews are getting 0-1 votes and THIS gets 5... Is extreme brevity truly the mark of a helpful review? What am I missing?

message 28: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1228 comments Probably people are too lazy to read more than 1 sentence. I don't think you should change what you are doing, it sounds great and is only fair if you are given promos in exchange for a review.

message 29: by Ron (new)

Ron Shaw | 422 comments That's why I choose to give each review my best effort