Star Wars Book Club discussion

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.1)
This topic is about Solo
Movies > Canceling "A Star Wars Story"s - what's your take?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spencer (new) - added it

Spencer Roberts | 9 comments So, what does everyone think of the announcement that Disney will be holding off on stand alone movies for the time being (and possibly forever)? To me, this isn't necessarily bad news, as it could mean that we get much more "meaty" books, that explore large galactic events, rather than doing what they sort of are, which is filling in. Comments? Are you upset or happy that they are stopping?
Spencer

Justin (jtefft) My one fear about yearly Star Wars movies was that they would start losing their shine. Like when you know there is an never ending supply of something you kind of start taking it for granted until it stops meaning as much. What I didn’t expect was the visceral reactions from “fans” that made me want to start avoiding reading anything about the topic.

It wouldn’t bother me if they went to a slightly less frequent release schedule but after 4 movies amounting to more than $4 billion, I find it hard to believe they’ll stop producing these things for a while. They may become more focused and disciplined about what they make however, which would be good in my opinion.

message 3: by Spencer (new) - added it

Spencer Roberts | 9 comments Justin wrote: "My one fear about yearly Star Wars movies was that they would start losing their shine. Like when you know there is an never ending supply of something you kind of start taking it for granted until..."

Yeah. I agree with the possibility of them losing the shine. That is why I think they released Solo a half a year "early", so that hype can build for Ep. 9. I think a more focused, disciplined, planned and (not sure how to say this) "making main stories in all mediums", as I stated earlier.

message 4: by Chad (new) - added it

Chad (chadjohnson) | 4 comments Justin wrote: "My one fear about yearly Star Wars movies was that they would start losing their shine. Like when you know there is an never ending supply of something you kind of start taking it for granted until it stops meaning as much."

I totally agree with your comment...

However, I believe they might put some of these side shows on hold for a while... but c'mon... When they bought Star Wars they bought the Goose that lays Golden Eggs... if one egg isn't worth as much as another... doesn't mean it is not gold. Solo may have under performed, but they are still going to make money on it in the long run.

And they are not going to let that Goose stop laying eggs for long... Some of the early Marvel movies were crap... they kept making them... so why would they stop making Star Wars movies for good?

I think they just need to re-group, get the right people on board, slow things down a bit, and re-launch something awesome after Ep. 9.

Look at Rogue One... it was awesome... just about every Star Wars fan I talk to has Rogue One in their top 3 all time favorite Star Wars movies...

Justin wrote: "What I didn’t expect was the visceral reactions from “fans” that made me want to start avoiding reading anything about the topic."

Totally agree with this too... I'm not sure what all the fuss about Solo is anyway... i personally have not talked to one person who didn't like it... but the "fan-boy critics" who get there stuff published online seemed to hate it for some reason (probably to get more clicks on there site).

I for one go into each new Star Wars movie hoping to be entertained and excited about the fact that the Star Wars Universe is expanding with some cool stories.

I'm not going to nit-pick about the ways of the Force, or hyper-space, or battle ships, or "that couldn't happen" ... As long as the actors are better than Hayden Christensen (which, I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to be worse than him) then I'm happy.

Every movie they make can't be the best movie ever. Each movie is almost like a chapter in a book... even if the book is awesome... some chapters are going to be better than others, and some chapters are just going to set you up for the next and not be that great at all. That is kinda the way I see Solo... I really felt like it was a good movie and it really set the stage for some great sequels. Which apparently they have now cancelled... which I think sucks.

message 5: by Spencer (new) - added it

Spencer Roberts | 9 comments Chad wrote: "Justin wrote: "My one fear about yearly Star Wars movies was that they would start losing their shine. Like when you know there is an never ending supply of something you kind of start taking it fo..."

Yep. I agree. I liked--and everyone I meet liked--Solo. Your thinking seems to be correct in that they likely won't permanently stop making movies. The "fan-boy critiques" seem to be the louder minority on this one. I enjoyed the movie and hope the movies continue to be produced, whether, as a chapter, good, bad, or set-up.

message 6: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 57 comments I hope they don’t cancel the “stand-alone” movies completely. I 5ink they are great insight to the franchise.

message 7: by Spencer (new) - added it

Spencer Roberts | 9 comments Kellie wrote: "I hope they don’t cancel the “stand-alone” movies completely. I 5ink they are great insight to the franchise."

Yeah, I like the stand alones.

Justin (jtefft) I like them too. So far, they’ve added a lot of depth and detail to stories we already know.

message 9: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 57 comments I agree Justin.

N.E.C.C. | 59 comments So far so good in my opinion. I have my problems with this new era of Star Wars like any other person but i don't let movies ruine my life.
Rogue One and Solo were solid movies in my opinion. In understand that there are people that didn't like them and it's ok.
Canceling them is to reactionary.

message 11: by Lizzie (new) - added it

Lizzie Twachtman (lizzietwachtman) | 186 comments Mod
Don't know how I missed this thread!! I like the idea of halting the stand alone movies and getting a handle on their greater universe.
The idea of having a plan (a la Marvel) is always a good idea in this landscape.
And there were things in Last Jedi that I felt they tried to MAKE a things because they wanted to tie Solo to it more. That feels unnecessary to me and forced.

Not to say George didn't pull those shenanigans too, he certainly did.

That said I agree about the Goose that laid the golden egg comment. People consider Solo a flop because it was a Star Wars movie which puts it on a pedestal, rather than it getting to be an enjoyable movie..
That's a tough beat.

Above all else, I want to see thoughtful, important, interesting stories set in the world I LOVE. And if taking a breath to examine their path means that will be the outcome, I'm for it to a certain extent.

Where Marvel has really worked on the 3 movies a year...ramping up...overarching storyline formula, I don't want that for Star Wars. I want them to have their own voice and tempo.

Michelle | 10 comments My only issue with this is that I was really looking forward to an Obi-Wan movie. I hope we still get to have one.

message 13: by Lizzie (new) - added it

Lizzie Twachtman (lizzietwachtman) | 186 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "My only issue with this is that I was really looking forward to an Obi-Wan movie. I hope we still get to have one."

Oh, I agree with that!!! The Obi-Wan movie was something I really wanted to see!! Especially since Ewan was fully on board!

message 14: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 57 comments I want to see an Obi Wan Movie too.

message 15: by Charlene (new)

Charlene  Turner: KINGDOM KEEPER Kenobi is going be a series on Disney Plus this summer, but it got delayed, so it will be on next year

message 16: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva B. I have mixed thoughts. Rogue One is my favorite movie, and I really enjoyed Solo too, but I can see where standalone films about a specific event or person wouldn't appeal to as big of an audience as something like the sequel trilogy did.
I feel like a lot of the standalone movies could do well if they were released on Disney+ as part of a miniseries/their own thing as opposed to being in theaters.
Out of all of the characters/events in Star Wars, what would you want to see as a standalone? I'd like to see something about the apprenticeship and rise to power of Palpatine, or something involving Mortis.

message 17: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 57 comments I would like to see the rise to power of Palpatine too. That would be interesting. I would like to see more on Han Solo. I loved the movie. I think that what happened with that one is the time frame it came out. It had come out when the last Avengers movie came out in May instead of December in between Star Wars 8 & 9. I also loved Rouge One. I've loved all the movies.

message 18: by Allyssa (new)

Allyssa Smith | 42 comments What about a stand-alone Leia as kid film?

message 19: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 57 comments I would like that.

message 20: by Allyssa (new)

Allyssa Smith | 42 comments They could turn Leia: Princess of Alderaan into a film.

message 21: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 57 comments I haven't read that one but I say yes.

message 22: by Allyssa (new)

Allyssa Smith | 42 comments Check out the book!

message 23: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva B. It's such a good book! I'd love to see some of the Star Wars books turned into movies, maybe Lost Stars or Rebel Rising?

message 24: by Dani (new)

Dani | 1 comments Akindle wrote: "Check out the book!"

I’m reading Razor’s Edge, that is a amazing book!! I agree that taking some of the books and using it as a storyline or just for an idea would be amazing. I just hope they take their time with a storyline but either way, you really can’t go wrong with it!