Play Book Tag discussion

The Picture of Dorian Gray
This topic is about The Picture of Dorian Gray
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde ★★★★

Brilliant, difficult to like, but well worth reading. In the beginning of the book, Dorian is told that resisting temptation leads only to hurting your soul, so indulge immediately to save it. Foolishly believing that, he immediately charges headfirst into hedonism with his mouth wide open, amplifying pain and suffering in all directions (including his own). His life becomes a parade of self-indulgence, vanity and cruelty.

Wonderful commentary on morals, with Wilde's sparkly words starkly contrasting with the casual cruelty in the story. It is rather an assault on your mind, even read over a hundred years after it was written.

Jgrace | 3099 comments Terrific review. You captured exactly how I felt about this book.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments This is always on my to read list but it never seems to make it to the top. I’ll get to it some day.

message 4: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2666 comments I was haunted by this book when I first read it as a teen. I’ve read it since but it must be about time for a re-read!

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Thanks for the comments!

I enjoy what I have read of his work - can't believe it took me so long to get around to this!

Sharon Lin | 49 comments I’ve read this book for the May theme. It’s such a terrific book. The philosophical theme is also interesting.

message 7: by Ladyslott (new) - added it

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I've read this two or three times,always find it haunting.