Play Book Tag discussion

Laurus
This topic is about Laurus
Archive: Other Books > Laurus - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 1388 comments This was a group read in the 21st Century Literature group this month.

I could almost put this under magical realism - there is certainly some magic going on. But really this is more mystical/religious/philosophy book.

The story follows a man's life in medieval Russia. Orphaned as a young boy, he goes to live with his grandfather - a local healer. The boy learns how to be a healer as well. (This is all in the opening pages, so no spoilers here.)

The main character takes on many, many names and roles in his life, travels across vast distances, and lives a very difficult, sad life.

This was a very hard read at times, but taken as a whole a really good story - and an interesting look into medieval Russia.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review. And I love Russian history. I'll have to look into this book.

Joy D | 4598 comments Sue, I read this book for the same group. I see what you mean about bordering on magical realism, since at times felt like a I was reading a fable. I found it original and creative. I think anyone interested in Russian literature, medieval history, experimental works, or tales of spiritual journeys would enjoy it. It's not a "light read" though.