What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Poor teenage girl (Sal?) at local dance school.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments I am looking for a book I read years ago, possibly in the mid-nineties. It was about a teenager who went to a dance school and I'm pretty sure her name was Sal. Her family were quite poor so they often worried about money. I think she stayed at home with her parents for a while but they lived quite a long way from the school so she had to move closer, and they had an argument about that. I don't her parents were keen on her going to the school anyway: maybe they wanted her to get a 'sensible job'.
I remember very little of the story. At one point she realised she wasn't as supple as some of the other students so she stayed behind to do extra training. At the very end there is a show by the students and she was doing a solo. She got on stage and decided to abandon the dance she'd planned and just improvise with how the music make her feel. At the end she felt it hadn't gone very well but then got loads of applause.
I think there was a romance element as well with another music student, although it wasn't just a romance tale. I've searched through heaps of lists of young adult dance books and on Google Books but I can't seem to find it.
It might have had a pale green cover, but I could be thinking of a different book here. I don't really know why I keep think about this story and looking for it, but if anyone can identify it, I'd be so pleased! Thanks.

message 2: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments May I bump my post?

message 3: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie (chrissiewhitley) | 139 comments What kind of dance was she studying at the school? Any idea in what country/state/city the book was set?

Was the book fairly new when you read it? Was it set in the "present day"?

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Naomi, you can bump your post every month or so to keep it at or near the top of the folder.
Good luck!

message 5: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments Thank you for replying! I think it was contemporary dance, possibly with some ballet classes as well. I don't know about the location except that it was the UK or USA, sorry. It was set in the present day when it was written, but that would have been in the 80s or 90s.

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments What country were you in when you read this book?

message 7: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments in the UK

message 8: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments bump

message 9: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments bump

message 10: by Chrissie (last edited Jan 14, 2019 02:32PM) (new)

Chrissie (chrissiewhitley) | 139 comments Have you taken a look at this list?
YA Dance Books (160)

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie (chrissiewhitley) | 139 comments For some reason (I suppose just the dancer aspect), this puts me in mind of this book by Julie Reece Deaver, Say Goodnight, Gracie. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd mention it, too.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21141 comments Maybe something by Jean Ure?

message 13: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments Sorry all - I didn't get the emails for these messages so I have only just come on and found them. Thank you for the suggestions - much appreciated that you took the time for me.

Chrissie - yes, I have been through quite a few lists of dance-related books but I have failed to identify it. It's not Say Goodnight, Gracie.

Rainbowheart - I have had a quick run through the list of books by Jean Ure, and I think they're generally written for a slightly younger audience than the one I want. I haven't seen anything that matches what I'm looking for, although some of them have no description at all, so it's hard to know.

message 14: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments Bump - still looking!

message 15: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments bumping

message 16: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments BUMP. thanks to anyone who's looking...….. I have no more information, sorry.

message 17: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments New Year bump.

message 18: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments BUMP. I thought this might be 'Dance to a Lonely Tune' by Regina J. Woody - the plot sounds really similar. I couldn't find a copy of this anywhere, but I was so excited thinking I might be on the way to the answer that I bought 'Time to Dance' by the same author. Having spent rather too much money on this I discovered that I didn't like her writing style, so I don't think it's the one after all, but if this makes anyone think of any other possibilities, please let me know!

message 19: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36615 comments Mod
(Book mentioned by Naomi - Dance to a Lonely Tune by Regina J. Woody)

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40678 comments Mod
Naomi, please unprivate your account - with a private account, moderators can't see how many or which threads you've started.

message 21: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments Done.

message 22: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36615 comments Mod
Thanks Naomi. (Your profile will remain private to the general public and search engines. Only Goodreads members who sign in to the site will be able to see your unprivated profile. )

message 23: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1437 comments This sounds familiar, but I can't remember the title or author. I want to say that it was ballet that she was taking.

message 24: by Naomi (last edited Oct 07, 2021 08:02AM) (new)

Naomi | 30 comments Thanks, Kris and Amber.

I think there was a ballet element, although I'm not sure if it was purely ballet she was studying - I think there might have been a bit of modern dance in there as well.

message 25: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Doesn't really fit, but the main character in My Phantom Love goes to a performing arts school.

message 26: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments Thank for the suggestion, Tab. I don't think that's it unfortunately because one of the reviews mentions Aimee singing, and I don't remember any singing in my book. Also, I think the one I'm looking for had much more focus on dance and the romance was only a small part of the story, if it was even there at all.

message 27: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 30 comments (Although I notice that that series has a couple of books by Katherine Applegate, whom I love, so I might give those a go, even though they are not the target of my search).