This topic is about Haruki Murakami
Short Reads > Yesterday by Haruki Murakami

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 637 comments Mod
New short story out in The New Yorker:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/06/09/yesterday-3?currentPage=all

Would love to hear what others make of these characters... Their approach to life, school, relationships, sex... They seem almost symbolic...

message 2: by Leo (new)

Leo Robertson (leoxrobertson) | 297 comments Really beautiful! I love it when authors of gargantuan power write about normal people. Lots of Proustian time-pondering also :)
Yes it does seem very symbolic- especially this idea of the Kansai dialect- I'll ask my bro about it- he lives in Osaka and knows a bit about how different cities are perceived!
Cheers for posting :)

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Reilly (tracyreilly) | 143 comments Thanks for sharing this story: it was wonderful. I've wanted to read more of his writings, and this was perfect to get me interested again.

message 4: by Marc (last edited Aug 05, 2014 08:59AM) (new)

Tracy & Leo,
Glad you both enjoyed it! There was that whole idea of what's expected (moving from small town to downtown, learning a more common dialect, finishing school, wanting to have sex with the person you're dating, etc.) vs. a more free-form existence. The two male characters seemed like opposites in this respect. Whereas, I felt like the lone female was in a different social class and just sailed along the prescribed path... I don't know if that's fair to say--is it? How sad is it that I'm too lazy to go look up the actual character names?

Cheryl,
If you're interested, I think he had another short story within the last year that was a retelling of Kafka's "The Metamorphisi" as told from the the perspective of the roach turning in Gregor Samsa.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Reilly (tracyreilly) | 143 comments Marc wrote: "Tracy & Leo,
Glad you both enjoyed it! There was that whole idea of what's expected (moving from small town to downtown, learning a more common dialect, finishing school, wanting to have sex with t..."

Is Reverse Psychology too easy of a way to describe this idea?))

message 6: by Leo (new)

Leo Robertson (leoxrobertson) | 297 comments I've never normally related to Murakami when he discusses relationships- everything he writes about is so obscure, but when it comes to relationships, I can never understand why the things he thinks to mention really matter.
But I love when he is more esoteric and conceptual (the two moons of 1Q84, the many stories of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, talking cats in Kafka on the Shore- wow! I forgot what great stuff he's written!) is why Norwegian Wood didn't mean much to me.
But hey, I'm getting older (25 = ovr teh hill) and can appreciate more subtlety, so maybe I misjudged it, who knows, I'll never bother to read it again :)

message 7: by Marc (new)

Tracy wrote: "Is Reverse Psychology too easy of a way to describe this idea?"

Hmm... Maybe not. Tell me more of what you're thinking, if you don't mind.

message 8: by Marc (new)

Leo wrote: "I've never normally related to Murakami when he discusses relationships- everything he writes about is so obscure, but when it comes to relationships, I can never understand why the things he think..."

Agreed. He tends to make the usual somehow foreign. Of the ones you mention, I haven't read Kafka or Norwegian (yet!). Didn't care much for IQ84 in comparison to others of his. If 25 is over the hill, I'm a few minutes away from an appointment with the embalmer ;p

message 9: by Leo (new)

Leo Robertson (leoxrobertson) | 297 comments Srsly Marc like my face is melting -_-!!!

Kafka is a beast! Unless you are sensitive to fictional feline abuse- didn't mind myself- the Chandler Bing vs Bambi approach- "It was really sad when the man stopped drawing the deer."

message 10: by Marc (new)

Leo wrote: "Unless you are sensitive to fictional feline abuse..."

Can't say I've tried it before, but I have a physical copy of Kafka at home... Might even get to it before the year's end! His newest book comes out in English very soon (or maybe even this month), no?

message 11: by Leo (new)

Leo Robertson (leoxrobertson) | 297 comments Read the Spanish edition last year (how why does it work like that I wonder although not enough to get googling clearly), found it pretty unremarkable- I've always disliked when people say this, but I think it was true in that case, that it was filled with his own tropes...

Although TBH I was in full Norsk vintergrump so I really cannae be trusted (would also pre-empt the crappiness of my own reviews circa Nov thru Feb coming up- then Mar thru May recovery period :D)

message 12: by Leo (last edited Aug 06, 2014 11:53PM) (new)

Leo Robertson (leoxrobertson) | 297 comments Thought I'd make a pre-emptive antiautobesmirch. The film of Norwegian Wood tipped the balance from tragic to unrealistically-emotionally-manipulatively-tragic so I couldn't take it seriously. The subject matter was not hilarious, just the treatment of it. Somewhere on this site I have claimed to find that film hilarious, and I thought it was here, but it isn't- I may have deleted it, but placing a temporary ban on drunk GRing for myself, effective immediately and until, like, September.

(Update: it was on a different thread, I tracked it down -_- sigh! I need another coffee...)

message 13: by Marc (new)

So we can trust your reviews June thru Sept?
I keep forgetting your multi-lingual and don't have to wait for the the English version of books.

Vintergrump. I like this word.