75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2022 Chat > Beginning of Summer/4th of July Readathon!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7988 comments Mod
Time for another Readathon?! Yes please!

This Readathon will start on July 1 and end on July 8!

First week of July (thanks for the idea, Shelby!) so we can welcome in summer, celebrate Canada Day (if you're Canadian), *and* celebrate the 4th of July (if you're American).

What are your goals?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3079 comments Yay! I'm in. I am going to say I will finish 3 books. I am currently reading some BIG books.

message 3: by Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦 (last edited Jul 08, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 212 comments Rumor Woods READ-July 1
Red Harvest NG-READ--July 2
The Boneyard Chronicles--READ--July 2
Strange Weather-Audio--July 1-3 Finished
Necroscope: The Mobius Murders July 3-4. Audio. Finished.
Necroscope: The Plague-Bearer. July 4. Audio. Finished.
Shadows Over Baker Street. READ. July 3-5.
Copycat--READ. July 5.
Tied Up with Strings. READ. July 6.
Broken Monsters. Audio. Finished. July 5-7.
The General Theory of Haunting. READ. July 6-8.

TOTAL BOOKS COMPLETED: 11.
(6 novels + 1 novella + 4 novels audio)

message 4: by Karina (new)

Karina | 921 comments This is perfect! I have the whole week off and I will be at my in law's lake house! Looking forward to dockside reading! I am hoping to crush between 5-6 books but these are the ones I want to read and will revisit as I cross them off:
Finish Middlemarch by George Eliot
The Last Equation of Issac Severy by Nova Jacobs
Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser
Something Blue by Emily Griffen
Steppenwolfe by Herman Hesse

And if I am feeling extremely ambitious, to finish my April BOTM box (two from March are above)
The Girl Who Smiled Beads by Clemantine Wamariya
The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor
Circe by Madeline Miller

Who needs to talk to family?

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 212 comments The Chalk Man is superb! Can't put down reading.

message 6: by Kayla (last edited Jun 27, 2018 01:21PM) (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I'm in. I'm not entirely sure what my goals are yet, other than to get through some print books and books I bought from Kindle sales. I've bought way too many books this year. I already have a ton on my TBR and I just keep adding to it.

message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "I've bought way too many books this year. I already have a ton on my TBR and I just keep adding to it..."

Story of my life!! Now that I have a library in my house, I've ramped up my physical book-buying and it never stops!! lol. I have cooled my heels quite a bit, I was doing a $35-$50 BookOutlet purchase a month from Oct-Feb. Now it's library sale time! But I have now run out of room in said library and there are piles of books on the floor and my desk. I will be removing my desk and a smaller set of shelves to buy 2 more bookcases. #bookaddict

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie | 396 comments I'm in! I'll post my goal in a day or two when I've had a chance to look over my TBR piles.

message 9: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments I'm in! Not sure what I'm all planning to read yet.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments I'm in! I need to look at what books I need to get finished and then I will be back to post my goals.

message 11: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2018 07:03AM) (new)

I have my weekends off but I only have 7/4 off. Waaah!

Of my current reads, I think I'll be able to finish 2 of them before Sunday (Second Grave on the Left audio and I Am Still Alive e-ARC). I think I will be carrying over Sparrow Hill Road audio, as I just started it yesterday. Finished all my current reads 6/30 PM!

On the TBR list:
The Battle of Hackham Heath (physical library book I've had since May 2!) Finished 7/4 (346 pgs)
Acceptance (audio) Finished 7/3 (354 pgs)
From Cradle to Stage: Stories from the Mothers Who Rocked and Raised Rock Stars (audio) Finished 7/7 (240 pgs)
A Conjuring of Light (library e-book) (624 pgs) CURRENTLY READING
The Girl in the Green Silk Gown (e-ARC with review due 7/9) (352 pgs)

Extras:
No Less Days (e-ARC) (289 pgs)
Good Behavior (audio) (290 pgs)

I think I've kept my list short and manageable for an 8-day Readathon. ;)

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1492 comments I am in! I love summer reading! I will be traveling that week so I will say 2 books.

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments Elyse wrote: "Kayla wrote: "I've bought way too many books this year. I already have a ton on my TBR and I just keep adding to it..."

Story of my life!! Now that I have a library in my house, I've ramped up my ..."

Garage sales, and library book sales are my weakness. Over last weekend , I picked up almost 80 books between my library book sale, and a garage sale that was selling their whole Stephen King collection.

message 14: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I think I've kind of figured out my TBR. I'd like to read The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel , The Help by Kathryn Stockett , Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King , The Outsider by Stephen King , and Disney after Dark (Kingdom Keepers, #1) by Ridley Pearson . Not sure if I can accomplish all that in a week but we'll see. I might also read the rest of the Green Mile books if I don't have them done by then. I'm assuming I will though.

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "Garage sales, and library book sales are my weakness. Over last weekend , I picked up almost 80 books between my library book sale, and a garage sale that was selling their whole Stephen King collection..."

OMG amazing!!

message 16: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments Elyse wrote: "Kayla wrote: "Garage sales, and library book sales are my weakness. Over last weekend , I picked up almost 80 books between my library book sale, and a garage sale that was selling their whole Step..."

For 10 cents for each Stephen King book, some first editions, I couldn't say no.

message 17: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Kayla wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Kayla wrote: "Garage sales, and library book sales are my weakness. Over last weekend , I picked up almost 80 books between my library book sale, and a garage sale that was selling th..."

So jealous! I have a mismatched collection of his of my own.

message 18: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Elyse, I don't know how you've managed not to get to Conjuring of Light yet! I started it the day after I finished Gathering of Shadows and it already felt like too long of a wait lol.

message 19: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments So I only have two days off next week. We'll see how much I get done, but I'm looking forward to a whole week of reading!

Tentative tbr:

Finish: The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware
I just started this. If I don't finish it before next week I want to do it during the read-a-thon.

Read: Othello (No Fear Shakespeare) by SparkNotes The Invasion (The Call #2) by Peadar Ó Guilín As I Descended by Robin Talley

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "For 10 cents for each Stephen King book, some first editions, I couldn't say no..."

OMG what a steal!!! So jealous!! The only brand new King books I've bought are Sleeping Beauties and The Outsider, his 2 newest, and those were with Audible credits. The rest of my collection, over 30, have all been library and yard sale finds!

message 21: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Shelby wrote: "Elyse, I don't know how you've managed not to get to Conjuring of Light yet! I started it the day after I finished Gathering of Shadows and it already felt like too long of a wait lol."

lol well I have started it, just a few pages in, right after AGoS. But so many books have gotten in the way. I've had the e-book on and off from Overdrive basically since I finished AGoS. I'm determined to read it next week though.

message 22: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Elyse wrote: "lol well I have started it, just a few pages in, right after AGoS. But so many books have gotten in the way. I've had the e-book on and off from Overdrive basically since I finished AGoS. I'm determined to read it next week though.
"

I'm excited for you! I loved ACOL.

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2018 06:30PM) (new)

July Is The Shadow Out of Time wrote: "Fantastic! I'll probably be reading "Bookshop" novels, because that's what I have planned for the first week of High Summer Readathon at Seasons of Reading.

But: the day before the Readathon, i'm ..."

I just finished Sparrow Hill Road on Audible because I have an ARC of the sequel, The Girl in the Green Silk Gown! I really liked it! The only other Seanan Maguire I've read are the first 3 Wayward Children books, which were very strange.

message 24: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I have completed all 3 of my current reads and I will be starting out *fresh* tomorrow for the Readathon (and High Summer Readathon!) I think this is the first time it's worked out so well! It's 9:30pm and I have a little bit of work that I took home to do and an excerpt of a book to read and review so I will be back tomorrow morning with a clean slate! :)

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 20 comments My goals for this readathon...

(Finally) finish The Terror
Finish listening to Sharp Objects
If I accomplish finishing The Terror, I'll try to read one other book during the week...to be determined.

Of course, my High Summer list will be longer. :)

message 26: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments It’s officially July 1st here (Happy Canada Day to any fellow Canadians who might be joining! 🇨🇦) so I’m officially getting started!

message 27: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Have fun everyone I’ll pass on this one. 😁😁😁👍👍👍

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Book 1: The Battle of Hackham Heath (346 pgs)

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Happy Canada day everyone!
My reading list is going to be all kindle books since I will be working for most of it.
The Tell-Tale Tarte by Maya Corrigan
S'more Murders by Maya Corrigan
The Lido by Libby Page
Doom with a View by Kate Kingsbury
Be Our Ghost by Kate Kingsbury
Plus any audiobooks I manage to listen to while driving back and forth to work.

Happy Reading Everyone!

message 30: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Book 2: Acceptance (audio) (354 pgs)

I have some work I brought home to do so I will be listening to this while working!

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 212 comments Elyse wrote: "July Is The Shadow Out of Time wrote: "Fantastic! I'll probably be reading "Bookshop" novels, because that's what I have planned for the first week of High Summer Readathon at Seasons of Reading.

..."

I love her writing as Mira Grant! Very accomplished! And I requested The Girl in the Green Silk Gown when I saw it on your list the other day.:)

message 32: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Started Othello (No Fear Shakespeare) by SparkNotes after midnight before bed and finished Act 1 Scene 1. It's a relief I'm finally getting to it.

message 33: by Karol (new)

Karol I'm in! I'd like to make some progress in several book series I'm reading. Today, I read #17 in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency: Precious and Grace. Loved it!

message 34: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Day 1 done, book 1 done.

Pages read for Sunday: 310

Pages Read so far: 310.

Books completed: Othello (No Fear Shakespeare) by SparkNotes

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki L (legacy9487) | 2 comments My goal is to finish 2 books :)

message 36: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

July Is The Shadow Out of Time wrote: "I love her writing as Mira Grant! Very accomplished! And I requested The Girl in the Green Silk Gown when I saw it on your list the other day.:)..."

I haven't read any of those either but I think I own one!

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2018 10:18AM) (new)

I read 50 pages of The Battle of Hackham Heath yesterday and listened to 3 hours, 51 minutes of Acceptance. I did do a few hours of DVR catching up as it was too hot to read and too dark in my living room. lol. Lazy!

Book 3: A Conjuring of Light (624 pgs)

I now have my usual 3 books going; physical, audio, and ebook. :)

message 38: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Today my focus is back to The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware

message 39: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Shelby wrote: "Today my focus is back to The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware"

How is it so far??

message 40: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Elyse wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Today my focus is back to The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware"

How is it so far??"

It was a little slow to start but I'm liking it more now. I have almost no idea what's going to happen next and I like that.

message 41: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Read 144 pages in The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware . Gonna take a break from this for the rest of the day. I might start The Invasion (The Call #2) by Peadar Ó Guilín tonight yet.

message 42: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Got about 34 pgs done in The Invasion (The Call #2) by Peadar Ó Guilín and so far I am very scared for all the characters.

Total pages read for Monday: 178

Total pages read so far: 488

message 43: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1492 comments Finished The Black Widow by Daniel Silvia and have begun All Dogs Go to Heaven by Dr. Jessica Vogelsang

message 44: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Yesterday I listened to 3 hours, 15 minutes of Acceptance, read 25 pages of The Battle of Hackham Heath and read 31 pages of A Conjuring of Light.

I should be able to finish Acceptance today. The other 2 books are due back to the library tomorrow but I'm going to be renewing BoHH online (along with Blood for Blood) and there's holds on ACoL on Overdrive so I'm going to have to finish reading it on my iPod Touch! When you turn the WiFi off, you can have an Overdrive ebook forever! ;) I don't use my iPod for anything else these days!

message 45: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Finished A Matter of Loyalty by Elizabeth Edmondson, audio yesterday and about 60% in The Tell-Tale Tarte by Maya Corrigan, should be able to finish that one today. And I get to pick out a new audiobook to start.

message 46: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Finished the last 125 pages of The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware . I ended up giving it five stars. It's not a new personal favourite, but I'd say it's five-star worthy.

message 47: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Started As I Descended by Robin Talley but only got another 7 pages read.

Total pages read for Tuesday: 132

Total pages read so far: 620

Books completed: Othello (No Fear Shakespeare) by SparkNotes The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware

message 48: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Shelby wrote: "Finished the last 125 pages of The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware. I ended up giving it five stars. It's not a new personal favourite, but I'd say it's five-star worthy."

Awesome!

message 49: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Shelby wrote: "Started As I Descended by Robin Talley but only got another 7 pages read.

Total pages read for Tuesday: 132

Total pages read so far: 620

Books completed: Othello (No Fear Shakespeare) by SparkNotes [bookc..."

Dang you're doing well! Looks like you'll hit 1000+ pages!

message 50: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I did finish Acceptance last night and will most-likely start a new audiobook tomorrow.

I only read about 19 pages of A Conjuring of Light.

I read 71 pages of The Battle of Hackham Heath.

Now that I've finished my audiobook, my total page count so far is 551!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.