The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

JULY 2018 THEME > July 2018 Theme: THAT IS SO LAST YEAR

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuky (last edited Jun 27, 2018 07:20AM) (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Hello bookish friends!

I hope you're all well! I'm going on holiday this month which I super excited about, it just means having to pick enough and good books to take away with me! I confess I chose this month's theme to help me out with my holiday reading picks... but it's an easy theme so it should work for you all too!

THE THEME FOR JUNE IS: THAT IS SO LAST YEAR

For this theme, read a book you were meant to read in 2017!

I can't be the only one who is determined to read a book after they've bought it, and then accidentally never gets around to it until it's right near the bottom of your TBR pile! Now's the chance to pick that book up and finally read it!

~

I'll be reading:

The Boy on the Bridge (The Girl With All the Gifts #2) by M.R. Carey

The Boy on the Bridge by M. R. Carey

I actually pre-ordered this book last year because I was so excited to read the "sequel" to The Girl With All the Gifts, however it arrived, I put it on my shelves and totally forgot to pick it up! I thought this would be the perfect holiday read for me, so I'm finally going to pick it up and rejoin the world of The Hungries.

~

Happy reading everyone! Let us know your picks below.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Million I have the perfect book for this theme! I'll be reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which was a book club pick that I was supposed to read last year and which I bought the book for but then never got around to actually reading it. It's been sitting there on my bedside table ever since so I'll be glad to finally pick it up and read it.

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments I'm going to read The Assassin of Verona by Benet Brandreth. I was sent a review copy in September last year by the publisher and still haven't got around to reading it. It's also on my list for two other reading challenges so one way or another this should make sure I read it.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin I will be reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. I've been meaning to read this since I heard about the HBO series.

message 5: by Alex (last edited Jun 30, 2018 09:35PM) (new)

Alex This month I’ll read The Turning Tide by Brooke Magnanti. I’m in the midst of Hugo reading and need a change of pace from sci-fi and fantasy, so a dead body it is!

message 6: by Luke (new)

Luke (wyrdherts) | 5 comments I'll be reading "Origins" by Dan Brown. Although it's not my book taste nowadays, I started reading this series as a teenager and feel some loyalty to continuing. Anyone else feel like that about a book series?

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments I'll be reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling. I started reading the series last year and I have still yet to finish. I'm hoping to complete the whole series this. I'm currently in the middle of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments I plan on reading Fan Girl by: Rainbow Rowell and Snowbound by: Blake Crouch...

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments Lissa wrote: "I plan on reading Fan Girl by: Rainbow Rowell and Snowbound by: Blake Crouch..."

Fangirl is fantastic. It's one of my favorite books.

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments Magical_Bookworm wrote: "Lissa wrote: "I plan on reading Fan Girl by: Rainbow Rowell and Snowbound by: Blake Crouch..."

Fangirl is fantastic. It's one of my favorite books."

Awesome, I've heard such good things and it has been on my TBR for a while now! Time to knock it off :)

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments Tara wrote: "I have the perfect book for this theme! I'll be reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which was a book club pick that I was supposed to read last year and which..."

This was a really good book and I learned a bit about England and the war, and just thought it was well written.

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments I will try to read 2 books I meant to read each year- Snow Falling on Cedars and the Kite Runner. These I bought or received and never got started or finished. Also the Omnivore's Dilemma. Been part way through for aoubt a year...it so fit's the category.

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Million Sue wrote: "I will try to read 2 books I meant to read each year- Snow Falling on Cedars and the Kite Runner. These I bought or received and never got started or finished. Also the Omnivore's Dilemma. Been par..."

I read Snow Falling on Cedars a couple months ago and really enjoyed it. The writing is fantastic and the historical details are very well researched. Hope you like it!

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara Million Sue wrote: "Tara wrote: "I have the perfect book for this theme! I'll be reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which was a book club pick that I was supposed to read last y..."

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I keep on hearing good things about it!

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) I think I am going to read one of my ARCs that I got from NetGalley last year. I’m not sure which one I’m going to read yet I will just pick one that I’m in the mood for.

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments Very nice topic! I am going to choose "Isla and the Happily Ever After"! I've been feeling the romance as of late...those summer time vibes ha-ha!

message 17: by Nicki (new)

Nicki | 13 comments I'm going to listen to The Hourglass by Tracy Rees a book I was supposed to read last year for the 20 Books of Summer reading challenge.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan I am going to read City of Heavenly Fire because i meant to read this last year but I got a bit bored of reading the series. Sometimes the books are so long that I need a break but I did not intend to put it down for a whole year!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

My first ever read with this group is going to be, Making Faces by one of my new favourite writers, Amy Harmon. Her lovely stories are so well written I savour every word and never want them to end. I hope this one lives up to the same standard! I intend to read everything she has published and was going to read this last year but got distracted by other book group reads so I'm enjoying the opportunity to finally get round to it :o)

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (bookwyrmknits) | 22 comments I've been meaning to read 1984 for years, so I think that can count for this month. Funnily enough, I also meant to have it finished for last month's BookBum Club, so I think it's even more appropriate to use it for this month.

1984 by George Orwell