Play Book Tag discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archive: Other Books > Circe - Madeline Miller - 5 stars and straight to the Top Ten of 2018

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments Well this book truly did live up to the hype. I loved it. It did take me a while to become completely absorbed, and there was a clear turning point where it went from a four to a five star read for me. It went from a well written retelling of a lesser known minor goddess to a wow she is bad ass and is carrying the mantle for all women who have ever been wronged kinda book. The writing was just beautiful, and the intricacy of the story was incredibly impressive. I would like to credit Rick Riordan for assisting me to enjoy this novel, as through the reading of the blasted Percy Jackson series to my son I believe I have a comprehensive knowledge of Greek mythology and was able to follow the story easily. There are loads of players and for that reason it is probably good to know that there is a list of the characters at the end of the book.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Hahahaha! re: you kudos to Rick Riordan! I did have to do some Google research to remind myself of all the players.

I also really enjoyed this one and it is a contender for my top 10 of 2018, though, so far, nothing has ousted The Heart's Invisible Furies from the #1 spot.

I saw that you added The Song of Achilles to your TBR as well. I also enjoyed that one, but thought that Circe was so much better!

And, was it just me, or did you picture Cersei from Game of Thrones throughout this book?!? Maybe it was more pronounced for me because I listened to it and didn't see the different spelling. Kind of makes me think of GoT Cersei in a new light though....

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments Great review! This was a terrific book- one of my favorites so far this year.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments LOL. I think you read this right? I'm hoping to listen to it with Mom on our drive next week.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Nicole D. wrote: "LOL. I think you read this right? I'm hoping to listen to it with Mom on our drive next week."

I listened to it!

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I guess I'll have to read this one next :)

I have a copy on my shelf as my BOTM selection for this month

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I'm going to read this at the end of summer with a few friends here. I am so looking forward to it.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9353 comments Gulp! I have us a tad later. Maybe I shift myself around, or the tags and challenges help us with this....

message 9: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments So tempting...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Gulp! I have us a tad later. Maybe I shift myself around, or the tags and challenges help us with this...."

I may have the wrong date Amy!!! Don't worry too much.:)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy I just went back! I have the wrong date. I said the end of summer but we decided on September/October. Remember I just moved here from Phoenix where the end of the summer was October!!!! I just wrote this down so I can remember myself.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9353 comments We have a great year planned! We will get there in time.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved Song of Achilles and have Circe on my plan to read list. Bumping it up now

Susie | 4488 comments I hope you enjoy it Linda.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Susie wrote: "I hope you enjoy it Linda."

On the library wait list, at least 3 people ahead of me, maximum wait is 3 weeks each hold...