Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Are Hollywood elites out of touch with reality?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Let's say you're a Hollywood elite and making millions that you feel a little guilty about because you're having fun and being overcompensated. You're against a border wall, yet you live in a walled community. You're against guns, but you have armed guards. You're concerned about the planet, but you travel in private jets. You're for letting people into the country who have no means of support, no skills, and may be a threat to the country. That's okay. Those poor people from other countries. But what about the people in your own country? The country that made you rich. Where's your allegiance to this country?

message 2: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Scout wrote: "Let's say you're a Hollywood elite and making millions that you feel a little guilty about because you're having fun and being overcompensated. You're against a border wall, yet you live in a walle..."

But don't you know, they are Citizens of the World. :)

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments I'm not sure what you mean by that.

message 4: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments I'm not sure what you mean by this post, Scout. Are celebrities endebted to you to do somthing else?

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Nope. I just think they shouldn't preach about the environment and immigration and gun control and health care when they're traveling by private jet and living behind walls with private security and have private physicians. I'm not interested in what they think. Money insulates them from having to deal with the reality most of us live with.

message 6: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments They're not the most intelligent, they're the most attractive. The two do not go hand and hand. Most people are interested in them because they like looking at them, not because they want to be persuaded to alter their behaviors. The masses should be sensitive to the environment and the reasons they want to own guns, etc. There are many people in our country needing direction. If many of those masses are going to look to someone for direction, then shouldn't they be informed on the most beneficial modes of action?

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments I think it bears repeating: Extremely wealthy actors shouldn't preach about the environment and immigration and gun control and health care when they're traveling by private jet and living behind walls and insulated from immigrants, with private security and private physicians. Money insulates them from having to deal with the reality most of us live with, and if they have any sense, they know they're hypocrites.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments So what? Hypocrite, schmipocrit. Politicians have been hypocrites for decades. Why can't performers in other media join the party? Your TV has an off switch.

message 9: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments If you're not interested, move on to another topic - take your own advice and use your off switch. Hollywood actors use their considerable money and influence politically, so they should be accountable for their actions that go counter to their espoused convictions.

message 10: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments I've noticed that fewer celebrities are making political statements. Good decision. Maybe they've realized that there's a price to pay when they insult half the country.