J.D. Robb discussion

Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
This topic is about Fallen
Archive -2017/18 Series GR > Fallen by Karin Slaughter (Will Trent #5) - July 2018 (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13748 comments Mod
There’s no police training stronger than a cop’s instinct. Faith Mitchell’s mother isn’t answering her phone. Her front door is open. There’s a bloodstain above the knob. Everything Faith learned in the academy goes out the window when she charges into her mother’s house, gun drawn. She sees a man dead in the laundry room, a hostage situation in the bedroom. What she doesn’t see is her mother. When the hostage situation turns deadly, Faith is left with too many questions. She’ll need the help of her partner, Will Trent, and trauma doctor Sara Linton to get some answers. But Faith isn’t just a cop anymore, she’s a witness—and a suspect. To find her mother, Faith will have to cross the thin blue line and bring the truth to light—or bury it forever.

Character List

(view spoiler)

This will become a spoiler zone on July 8.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Sounds Interesting.

Sharon, this one had me on the edge of my seat for most of the book.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sharon, this one had me on the edge of my seat for most of the book."

Can't wait. It sounds like a nail biter with Faith as the featured character.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments After such a great discussion for the previous book, I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on Fallen!

Lynne | 429 comments I finished it already; I think I loved it even more this time. A nail biter for sure!

The books just get better with each installment.

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Reading this now and loving it!

This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to openly discuss the book.

message 10: by Jo Ann (last edited Jul 08, 2018 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments One of my favorite books of the series!

Even though Will is the title character, I appreciate how these stories continue to be female-centric. It made for great reading when the women interacted with one another, especially since this case seemed to force their professional and personal lives to overlap. At one point, Amanda says to Sara "He's got one too many bitches in his life, and I'm not going anywhere" - I got a chuckle out of that.

I like how KS explored the mother-child relationships - what a mother does to protect her child and the possible ramifications. Interesting what Evelyn said to Will about being like a son to Amanda...in more ways than he knows. Hmmm.

Lot's of character growth for Will. Was happy to see him stand up to Amanda and Angie. Will's relationship with Sara is giving him the self confidence to start to see himself beyond his perceived faults.

I'm curious to hear what you all thought of the progression of Will and Sara's relationship???

Belles | 156 comments THE HANDSHAKE!! Really, Will?!?!?!?! I love the progression of Will & Sara's relationship. I especially loved the end where Sara realized Will needed her to fight for him, not the other way around. Hopefully with Sara's courage Will will be able to leave behind Angie in the next book, but I won't hold my breath.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Belles wrote: "THE HANDSHAKE!! Really, Will?!?!?!?! I love the progression of Will & Sara's relationship. I especially loved the end where Sara realized Will needed her to fight for him, not the other way around...."

HA! That handshake was epic!! Loved how Sara handled it.

Belles wrote: "THE HANDSHAKE!! Really, Will?!?!?!?! I love the progression of Will & Sara's relationship. I especially loved the end where Sara realized Will needed her to fight for him, not the other way around...."

I wouldn’t hold my breath, either:)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Jonetta wrote: "Belles wrote: "THE HANDSHAKE!! Really, Will?!?!?!?! I love the progression of Will & Sara's relationship. I especially loved the end where Sara realized Will needed her to fight for him, not the ot..."

Me either!
And I loved the handshake scene lol

Lynne | 429 comments Jo Ann wrote: "One of my favorite books of the series!

Even though Will is the title character, I appreciate how these stories continue to be female-centric. It made for great reading when the women interacted ..."

Yep, one of my favorites also. I love the progression of their relationship. I also love how Will is with Betty - they are so cute together!

message 16: by Vera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vera M. | 446 comments this series just gets better and better. love the handshake scene and all the reactions and how Sara handles it. their relationship progression is great but there's still so much in the way that sometimes I forget because sometimes they seem to forget. Sara is definitely further along in her healing/letting go process but I feel like there's still unresolved issues that are forgotten because Lena is not in her face anymore. Will's issues are in the spotlight so far, Angie and his own insecurities.
the suspense in this one was great and I didn't see the twist about the affair and son coming. I wonder if anything she did for any of her children would have had a better ending. someone was always going to be hurt and would she have ever been able to make up for it? it sounded like her son had good parents but held onto so much anger.

Some questions from the author...

Will is described as having “strangely dysfunctional relationships with all of the women in his life” (120). Do you agree with this assessment? By the end of the book, does it seem as if he is improving his relationships with women? How so?

There are many different women in this book with different roles in law enforcement. How are their positions similar? How are they different? Do you think it was easier for the younger women to establish their careers in what is still a male dominated line of work?

Do you think Will’s assumption of Evelyn’s involvement in her team’s corruption affected the way he pursued her kidnapping? Did Amanda’s withholding of information from Will affect the progression of the case?

When reflecting on the secret that led to her kidnapping and torture, Evelyn thinks the kidnappers would not believe her because, “The truth was too disappointing. Too common.” What is your opinion of the true motivation behind the crime revealed at the end of the book? Do you think Evelyn is correct in thinking it disappointing and common?

Before Faith goes off to be questioned by the Atlanta police, Amanda hugs her and says, “You’ve got two minutes to pull yourself together. If these men see you cry, all you will be to them for the rest of your career is a useless woman.” Is this judgment accurate in your mind? If Faith were a man in the same situation, would crying elicit the same negative connotation?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "Do you think Will’s assumption of Evelyn’s involvement in her team’s corruption affected the way he pursued her kidnapping? Did Amanda’s withholding of information from Will affect the progression ..."

Will is a good cop. He looks at the crime he is working on now not anything a person did in the past. That is clear when he worked with Lena, he evaluates what he sees not what other people tell him. Will worked on evelyn's kidnapping with tunnel vision and not what he knows about the past. If there is any crime in Evelyn's past he trusts the system.

Regarding Amanda withholding information, I do think that hinders Will. He is good enough to get on the right track eventually but she could help speed it up by being forthcoming. I don't completely buy that she is protecting Will, although that may be partly the reason, I believe Amanda wants to protect Evelyn and her family. As it turns out, Amanda doesn't have all the facts either.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "Before Faith goes off to be questioned by the Atlanta police, Amanda hugs her and says, “You’ve got two minutes to pull yourself together. If these men see you cry, all you will be to them for the ..."

I agree completely. Even in 2018 a woman will be pigeonholed if they show any "female" emotions if they are in, what most consider, a man's job.

No a man will not be judged the same way if he breaks down.

message 24: by Jo Ann (last edited Jul 09, 2018 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Sharon wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Before Faith goes off to be questioned by the Atlanta police, Amanda hugs her and says, “You’ve got two minutes to pull yourself together. If these men see you cry, all you will be ..."

Agree, Sharon! A man showing emotion is seen - positively!! - as being sensitive, while a woman is looked at as weak. I think Amanda is hyper sensitive to this because of how tough things where for her and Evelyn when they started on the police force.

Sharon wrote: "I agree completely. Even in 2018 a woman will be pigeonholed if they show any "female" emotions if they are in, what most consider, a man's job.

No a man will not be judged the same way if he breaks down. ..."

Agree completely. I wasn’t in law enforcement but was in another male dominated environment. No way could I ever show tears. A man may have and they might have let that go over a short period of time but the memory of me crying would have been etched permanently. Law enforcement seems to be even worse.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Jonetta wrote: "Some questions from the author...

Will is described as having “strangely dysfunctional relationships with all of the women in his life” (120). Do you agree with this assessment? By the end of the ..."

Absolutely! However, as I stated previously, I think Will's relationship with Sara is making him really think about what his needs are and what he wants from life. Not going to happen overnight, but I'm anxious to watch Will grow into the man we know he can be. Now he just needs to man up and kick Angie to the curb for good!!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I agree completely. Even in 2018 a woman will be pigeonholed if they show any "female" emotions if they are in, what most consider, a man's job.

No a man will not be judged the sam..."

I was in a male dominated profession also. I hurt my back on the job. Everyone knew I hurt my back but one time when I turned too quickly because a co-worker called me a single tear slipped. One of the guys said stay away from Sharon it must be her time of the month she is all teary again. I never cried or was teary on the job ever. I wanted to punch him but that would have been a mistake too.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jo Ann wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Some questions from the author...

Will is described as having “strangely dysfunctional relationships with all of the women in his life” (120). Do you agree with this assessment? By..."

I'm still thinking about Will and Sara's relationship. I have a lot of notes in my book that I have to compile before I answer this question.

On the surface it looks like Sara is a good influence and a person to support Will. The ending is very positive too. However, it feels like Angie has that tether that will snap him back to her in an instant with just a little tug.

Sharon wrote: "One of the guys said stay away from Sharon it must be her time of the month she is all teary again...."

No one dared say that to me but one time. Unfortunately, I heard it a lot but never from the same person twice;)

Sharon wrote: "However, it feels like Angie has that tether that will snap him back to her in an instant with just a little tug...."

I feel her presence like a bad dream.

Lynne | 429 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sharon wrote: "However, it feels like Angie has that tether that will snap him back to her in an instant with just a little tug...."

I feel her presence like a bad dream."

How apropos!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments I went back and read all the Will/Sara scenes. At this point I'm not feeling good about their relationship. I like Will...a lot. However, it sounds like his love/hate relationship with Angie is too strong for him to fight. She is one of those women who knows she can hold any man regardless of how much he wants to go. I know the type.

I don't see KS developing Sara's character into someone who can take Angie on and win. My guess...Angie is going to claim Will with promises to be the wife/family he's always wanted and he will push Sara aside for her. Will won't be able to resist.

I know that will be the end of the series for me. It was tough when Jeffrey died; watching Sara grieve again if/when Will drops her will do me in.

message 33: by Patty (last edited Jul 12, 2018 06:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Patty | 524 comments I really loved the book! The only thing that annoyed me was Faith’s brother and of course Angie but that’s a given.

Belles | 156 comments He was a total jerk, but it was good of him to take the kids and keep them safe (his only redeeming quality).

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Patty wrote: "I really loved the book! The only thing that annoyed me was Faith’s brother and of course Angie but that’s a given."

He annoyed me too. He is a military doctor who still acts like a teenage bully.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments The Angie/Will/Sara triangle is still on my mind. It is the sign of a good author when characters stay in a reader's head for a week or more after reading. I can't shake the feeling that Will is going to change and I'm going to be angry with his decisions. It is driving me crazy. LOL

Hang in there;)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments I'm up to Chapter 6. Enjoying the way Karin Slaughter has switched it around this book that Faith and her family situation are the centre of the action. But the Will/Sara relationship is such a beautiful back burner plot .... wow, I couldn't believe what Angie said to her earlier on in the book. How much can you forgive a character when they've had a disturbed, violent background? Angie just seems horrible. But it's a great ongoing plot scenario and it is the combination of the police plot and the personal that makes this such an engrossing series.

Back to the book..

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Chapters 16 and 17

Yay, yay, yay. I love the way that Karin Slaughter wrote this. I was feeling furious at that poisonous Angie and thinking Will, just get away from her. I'd never thought I'd condone cheating but in this case I was cheering for Will and Sara all the way. And then... straight back into the case. So well done.

I did love the "handshake" and Sara's response as well.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Finished. What a great read. I went back and read all through the discussion. Yes, I agree, the series is titled Will Trent and he is the main character but his interactions with strong women and their interactions between themselves is a major part of the series and why it is so good.

Sharon, I don't see Angie keeping Will by the end of the series. Granted I don't see a smooth path going forward for Will and Sara immediately and that will be a big part of the tension in the plot line featuring their relationship and how he will finally get away from Angie. I wouldn't be surprised if Angie is murdered... and then Will will have to live with the fact that he left her. Going to be interesting especially since the last book in the series is yet to be written. I did really love that final chapter when Sara decided she was going to fight for him. Will so deserves that.

Oh, and I loved that his name was actually Wilbur. Such a geeky name but he totally owns it. What a great hero.

Lynne | 429 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Finished. What a great read. I went back and read all through the discussion. Yes, I agree, the series is titled Will Trent and he is the main character but his interactions with strong women and t..."

Interesting observations Lisa! I loved this one also.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Yes, I agree, the series is titled Will Trent and he is the main character but his interactions with strong women and their interactions between themselves is a major part of the series and why it is so good. ..."

It is remarkable how Will’s relationship with all of these women with strong personalities is always as an equal. Not a sexist bone in him when it comes to respecting their abilities. Worst you can accuse him of is being too gentlemanly at times. It’s one of the reasons I enjoy this character.

message 43: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jul 23, 2018 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments He's definitely one of the most unusual hero characters I've come across. Another fact I find interesting is that despite his troubled childhood he's still managed to keep that essence of sweetness and integrity of character. Whereas Angie seems to be exactly the opposite. I wonder if that is an inherent character thing or because males and females might have different experiences or perspectives about similar situations?

Jonetta, are we reading the short story Snatched (Will Trent #5.5) by Karin Slaughter or the next full book Criminal (Will Trent, #6) by Karin Slaughter or both next month?

That’s another of his characteristics I find endearing.

Snatched is next on the schedule, all by itself (see group read post: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... )

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Thanks. I will download to my kindle. Love our buddy read and discussions so much.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Whereas Angie seems to be exactly the opposite. I wonder if that is an inherent character thing or because males and females might have different experiences or perspectives about similar situations?..."

I really don’t think the distinction is based on gender so much as the level of abuse experienced and the personality developed before those experiences. If I’m remembering properly, Will served as her protector, or tried to. He’s continuing that role as an adult, again, trying to.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Thanks. I will download to my kindle. Love our buddy read and discussions so much."

And we love your participation!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments I was away on vacation and having too much fun to read comments, so I’m behind. LOL.

I agree that Will has a skill in dealing with the strong women in his life. He is one of the sweetest male characters in this genre. I love his personality and that his strength comes through in a non-aggressive way normally--Angie is a different story and brings out the dark. I do think Angie has a strong hold on him that I don't see ending anytime soon. I could be wrong because KS does have time jumps when she starts a new book.

Lisa, if there is a character that must die, I hope it is Angie. However, murder could take Will down a dark path that hurts Sara and their new relationship. I don't know how I feel about that either. Like Jonetta mentions above, Will almost killed himself to protect Angie as a young girl, if she is murdered, I wonder if he might believe that he failed his role as a protector.

This series has the potential to go down many paths in the future. It will be interesting to see which one KS takes us down.

Someone mentioned that the last book in the series isn't written yet. Has KS announced when the series will end.? I read that a new book is due out next year, but she doesn't appear to stick to a consistent schedule like other series authors.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 993 comments Sharon wrote: "I don't see KS developing Sara's character into someone who can take Angie on and win. My guess...Angie is going to claim Will with promises to be the wife/family he's always wanted and he will push Sara aside for her. Will won't be able to resist."

Interesting take. I really hope that doesn't happen as it will be the death knell for me and the series as well.

I'm hopeful that the hints at Will standing up for himself against both Amanda and Angie in this book are the first step toward his taking his life back from Angie who he is finally beginning to accept is too sick and twisted for him.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 993 comments Patty wrote: "I really loved the book! The only thing that annoyed me was Faith’s brother and of course Angie but that’s a given."

Yes, Faith's brother irritated me as well. It makes be really thankful that my brother and I have such a wonderful relationship.

« previous 1