Play Book Tag discussion

The Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2)
This topic is about The Angel's Game
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Angel's Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon - 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I originally rated this a 3 stars but have since decreased my rating to 2.

This is an unrelated prequel to The Shadow of the Wind

This is the story about an author, David Martin, who writes sensational, formulaic books under a pseudonym. He lives in a large mansion that holds a history full of secrets, one room holding letters and photographs of the past.

Then he is approached by an unknown publisher to write a specific book in return for a fortune. But then David is finding connections with between his life and the history of the mansion.

First I think the premise is quite silly. There are parts of the book that are never explained, almost like the author didn't know where he was going with the story. Much of the story is rehashed to the point of me saying, Okay, I got that the connections between the past and now, but what about the building he visited and then the next day its old and abandoned. That is never explained.

The writing, like Shadow of the Wind has a slow, dark, but very literary feel to it. The imagery is one thing I love about Zafon's writing.

Not sure if I will finish this series.

Elise (ellinou) I do encourage you to continue. I absolutely loved Shadow and, like you, was disappointed in Angel. The Prisoner of Heaven I read a long time ago, but I remember having loved it, much more than Angel. I bought it recently so I'll probably be rereading it very soon.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Ellie, you have convinced me. I will continue but I won't be in a rush.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6402 comments I listened to this on audio (narrated by Dan Stevens) and rated it 5 stars.

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 9371 comments I actually really appreciated Marina by this author. Similar feel, well done. I do want to re-read the entire Cemetery of Forgotten Books in Order. I think the Rose of Fire is first, No? Of course Shadow of the Wind is my favorite, but it is so my favorite, that I do want to read the others, even if they are less strong. I found Angel Less strong, but again, I want to build them in context... But... Not this year.... Listopia got me a little crazy. Between the regular tags, the decathlon, Nicole's Cultural Challenges, and other personal goals, and picking five listopia lists, this is an idea that fell to the bottom. Along with Re-Reading the Clan of the Cave Bear Series? I'm all but convinced to just pick up the last, even though its been 20 years since I read the first five....

message 6: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2671 comments I’ve only read Shadow (adored it) but must get round to the rest. It’s a shame this one didn’t work for you, though, Jason - at least it sounds like it isn’t typical

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Huge fan of Shadow of the Wind and very disappointed in this one. I still love the way he writes so I did read Prisoner of Heaven. It was definitely better than this one.