Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2018 ~ Monthly Challenges > July 2018 ~ TBR Challenge

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
The only *rule* for this challenge is that you have to pick a book from your TBR (to be read) file. We want to decrease the size of our back lists, hence the challenge!

July 2018 ~ Michelle's pick ~ Reread a Favorite Book and/or Jean's pick ~ A New to You Author!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

message 2: by Tessa (last edited Jun 26, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I re-read when I need to. I actually do that quite a lot, specifically if I'm in a book slump, so I'm going for the New to You Author choice.

If I Wake by Nikki Moyes

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I will do a new-to-me author. 😬

Not sure which one yet.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I am in for a new to me author

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments I am in for a new to me author

too many books to do a re-read!

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Ditto! Too many books on my TBR - definitely will go with a New to Me author...

message 7: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm in this one too. Not sure which I will do as I have so many books on my tbr i can't see taking precious time to reread. Although, I've often wondered if I'd still love Real by Katy Evans and my love for Remy.

message 8: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments I'm in for a new to me author

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments A new to me author. I will do. But I’m away atm . In LA. Back around the 10th. The time difference is killing me.

message 10: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments You should totally do a USA tour and visit Chicago!

message 11: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments On my bucket list Ela. At Hollywood now. Just have done a famous houses tour. We went to Disneyland nearly killed ourselves. Arrived at 8.30am and left at 11.30pm. 28000 steps. I think that’s about 10 miles. Every part of my feet was hurting. Must say Orlando Disney is better.

message 12: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Melinda wrote: "On my bucket list Ela. At Hollywood now. Just have done a famous houses tour. We went to Disneyland nearly killed ourselves. Arrived at 8.30am and left at 11.30pm. 28000 steps. I think that’s about..."

I agree though I adore Disneyland (hard not to growing up near it). Do you all have plans to go to Universal Studios? Again, not as good as Orlando's but it's a lot of fun, and it has the backlot tour. :) Also, if you go to a beach, Laguna's really is the best, but it's in Orange County, not Los Angeles County (aka Disneyland area). Have fun!!

message 13: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I'm in. Will do a new author as well.

message 14: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I just read a new author, does that count??? 😂 Hmm, I may do both. I normally read a lot in July, *shrug*

message 15: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Tessa wrote: "Melinda wrote: "On my bucket list Ela. At Hollywood now. Just have done a famous houses tour. We went to Disneyland nearly killed ourselves. Arrived at 8.30am and left at 11.30pm. 28000 steps. I th..."

Thankyou Tessa, yes, we have tickets to Universal Studios. We will do that on Friday. Where do we go to buy cheap Marc Jacobs or Nike or Tommy Hilfiger, Michael Kors, we are shopping too.
But as soon we we say something we are getting asked where do you come from? Every one seems fascinated. Ask us questions. I think I have a very strong Australia accent. I asked for serviettes and they didn’t know what they were. I looked at the girls for help and they said Mum, napkins. Hahaha.

message 16: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments An Australian accent is very disctinct in California. You probably notice most just talk like an American tv show, with a few dudes, gotta, wanna, and thinkin' type talk. I had no idea what a serviette was until now. :) Trust me, 99 percent of the people who hear you are probably charmed.

As for shopping... Hahaha, legally? :P The best for "cheap" is Ross or a consignment store. Check Ross first. They usually have tons of Hilfiger and Kors there. Consignment stores will be the best bet for Nike cheap, but no promises. That said, DON'T go to a swap meet/ flea market. You won't get a real brand name from there. You'll just a Chinese fake that is most likely bad quality and could get you into trouble going back to Australia.

message 17: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Thank you Tessa, yes the accents are very similar to movie stars. We are starting to feel like them too, all the attention. Thanks for the tips.

message 18: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments You're welcome. :) And have a ton of fun!

message 19: by Leslie (last edited Jun 29, 2018 06:36AM) (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I *think* I am going with Roni Loren as I haven't read her before and this one looks good. The Ones Who Got Away The Ones Who Got Away (The Ones Who Got Away, #1) by Roni Loren

message 20: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Oh Leslie keep me updated. I won a paperback of that book and haven't read it yet!

message 21: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Melinda wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Melinda wrote: "On my bucket list Ela. At Hollywood now. Just have done a famous houses tour. We went to Disneyland nearly killed ourselves. Arrived at 8.30am and left at 11.30pm. 280..."

Try searching the area for outlet malls...we have several in IL and there's even a Prada, Gucci, and Burberry outlet!

message 22: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments I'll also do a Roni Loren but one off my TBR...Crash into You (Loving on the Edge, #1) Crash into You (Loving on the Edge, #1) by Roni Loren

message 23: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Ela wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Melinda wrote: "On my bucket list Ela. At Hollywood now. Just have done a famous houses tour. We went to Disneyland nearly killed ourselves. Arrived at 8.30am and left..."

Oooh, good idea Ela! And LA has a HUGE outlet mall that has tons of names. If someone suggests the fashion district... No. lol Yes, you can get cheap clothes there, but it isn't exactly safe and there is no guarantee again that the brand name is real.

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments I'm going with Sarah Latchaw Hydraulic Level Five (Hydraulic, #1) by Sarah Latchaw

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Just for something completely different and to change things up a bit, I'm picking Blister by Jeff Strand

message 26: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Grant | 3 comments Leslie wrote: "I *think* I am going with Roni Loren as I haven't read her before and this one looks good. The Ones Who Got Away The Ones Who Got Away (The Ones Who Got Away, #1) by Roni Loren"

This is a good one. Roni is a fav author for me. This is a very different style for her.

message 27: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Grant | 3 comments To join this challenge I just say "Hey there, I'd like to work on my TBR?" :) I'm reading American King, Ms. Simone...Must finish this series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 28: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Grant | 3 comments Ela wrote: "I'll also do a Roni Loren but one off my TBR...Crash into You (Loving on the Edge, #1)Crash into You (Loving on the Edge, #1) by Roni Loren"

Er-ma-gerd....this.....My all time fav book. I've read this several times. <3

message 29: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments I haven’t picked mine yet and still haven’t read June’s - think I will catch up in July

message 30: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Nicky wrote: "To join this challenge I just say "Hey there, I'd like to work on my TBR?" :) I'm reading American King, Ms. Simone...Must finish this series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3......"

Pretty much. It "starts" in July, though a few cheat. and start early :) (I've been known to) Just look at your TBR and find something that matches, and that's your book.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Tessa wrote: "Nicky wrote: "To join this challenge I just say "Hey there, I'd like to work on my TBR?" :) I'm reading American King, Ms. Simone...Must finish this series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/327..."

And your book is supposed to fit the theme for that month in particular.....so for July it's a "new to me author/reread" - and you just choose something from Mount To Be Read that fits the bill.

message 32: by Grey (last edited Jul 05, 2018 07:18AM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I'm double dipping this month
I read Balance by Lucia Franco that Nay had challenged me for, for my Pick-for-me... however, i also have another new and shiny, a new to me author, I'm taking off the pile, although it's kinda cheating a little bit because NetGalley sent it last week... but I'm starting Girls' Night Out by Liz Fenton and Lisa Stempke today. Not long for it to stay on the massive invisible stacks.

message 33: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Grey, I got Girls Night Out too....looks good and good idea to read it for this challenge!

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments 4.5 stars for Blister by Jeff Strand . I absolutely loved the writing, the story, and the wit of this author!

message 35: by Nay (last edited Jul 26, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Because I'm so behind this month, I doubled up and am using my ATF book for this challenge as well since D. Kelly is a new-to-me author.

So I picked Just an Illusion - Side A (The Illusion, #1) by D. Kelly and I give it 4*. It needs some editing, but more than anything, the first few chapters need to be fine-tuned to make the rock stars sound like MEN when they speak and not teenage girls. It got better (for the most part) as the book progressed, but I was almost laughing during the first couple of chapters.

message 36: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Ooooopsie! I forgot about this challenge!

message 37: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Oh lmao! I guess I didn't! No clue when I read it but it's a 3 stars for Crash Into You, I guess it's one of those books that I would like if I read it then...

message 38: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Ela wrote: "Oh lmao! I guess I didn't! No clue when I read it but it's a 3 stars for Crash Into You, I guess it's one of those books that I would like if I read it then..."

lol I actually did forget. I have four days to read two books. Which, normally not an issue, but right now I've been super busy.

message 39: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments So, I finished If I Wake. OMG. Just, OMG. Full five stars, had me sobbing at one point, totally unique... Just wow. I absolutely loved it.

message 40: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I finished The Ones Who Got Away The Ones Who Got Away (The Ones Who Got Away, #1) by Roni Loren and I am sad to say it wasn't great. I loved the premise of it but after first few chapters it kind of dragged. 3***

message 41: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 34 comments Tessa, who is the author of
If I wake ?

message 42: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
If I Wake by Nikki Moyes is what Tessa read....

message 43: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments And it was awesome! :)

message 44: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Tessa, I am slightly envious of you and your 5***** reads lately. I need some of your good book juju.

message 45: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments :) I did get lucky. Usually they are average, but there are more that aren't BoB that were 4.5 stars that was rounded up to five. The BoB are just pure 5 star perfect.

Now... *pushes five star goodies to Leslie* Hope you get my juju.