Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

2018 Locus Awards Winners

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2892 comments Mod
AOCs won several awards

The Locus Science Fiction Foundation announced the winners of the 2018 Locus Awards during the Locus Awards Weekend in Seattle WA, June 22-24, 2018:

FANTASY NOVEL

WINNER: The Stone Sky, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit US; Orbit UK)

HORROR NOVEL

WINNER: The Changeling, Victor LaValle (Spiegel & Grau)

YOUNG ADULT BOOK

WINNER: Akata Warrior, Nnedi Okorafor (Viking)

Here is a link to all of the winners and the finalists:
http://locusmag.com/2018/06/2018-locu...

message 2: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Jemisin, Okorafor and LaValle have dominated the speculative fiction awards lately!

message 3: by Lata (last edited Jun 27, 2018 07:39AM) (new)

Lata | 293 comments Wilhelmina wrote: "Jemisin, Okorafor and LaValle have dominated the speculative fiction awards lately!"

All three are excellent writers.

I've also read two of those books, and they were terrific.

message 4: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Jemisin, Okorafor and LaValle have dominated the speculative fiction awards lately!

message 5: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments Deservedly, I think, based on the quality of their writing.

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicae) | 495 comments The Stone Sky is on my very near radar (July). Very happy these excellent authors are enjoying well deserved recognition.

message 7: by William (new)

William (be2lieve) | 1326 comments Mod
Did anybody see Kamau Bell interviewing his cousin, Jemisin, on CNN's United Shades of America? She said that she draws her inspiration from her roots and experiences growing up in Mobile, Alabama.

message 8: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 219 comments William wrote: "Did anybody see Kamau Bell interviewing his cousin, Jemisin, on CNN's United Shades of America? She said that she draws her inspiration from her roots and experiences growing up in Mobile, Alabama."

I didn't see it, but you can be sure I will now - thanks for the heads up, William! I had no idea Kamau Bell (one of my fav comedians) was related to Jesmyn Ward - I love it when it feels like everyone's fam.

message 9: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments William wrote: "Did anybody see Kamau Bell interviewing his cousin, Jemisin, on CNN's United Shades of America? She said that she draws her inspiration from her roots and experiences growing up in Mobile, Alabama."

I did! Great episode!

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 190 comments William wrote: "Did anybody see Kamau Bell interviewing his cousin, Jemisin, on CNN's United Shades of America? She said that she draws her inspiration from her roots and experiences growing up in Mobile, Alabama."

Ooo, thanks for letting us know! I l love Kamau Bell :)

Literary Fiction by People of Color

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stone Sky (other topics)