Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2018 ~ Monthly Challenges > July 2018 ~ Pick-For-Me Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 185 (185 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Grey (last edited Jul 05, 2018 11:58AM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Pick for Me Challenge!!!

Come one, come all! It's fun... really!!!

1. Create a new shelf, or update the existing shelf on your Goodreads profile, that includes approximately 20 books that you would like to have someone else use to pick a book for you to read. Label it "Pick For Me." Only books from this designated shelf will be selected for this challenge, (no matter how badly some of us want to pick something else)!

2. Post in this thread that you want to participate this month.

3. Provide the link to your Pick For Me shelf, (this will make it a bit easier for all parties involved... unless you all really *want* to read Harry Potter. *a new month, a new pick from me!*)

4. On the last day of the month, someone...the hand of fate, maybe, will use the randomizer to pair up everyone. (Or worst case scenario, Grey will pick for everyone, and you *know* what that means, *shifty eyes*)

5. Friend your partner who is picking for you or set your profile to public or your partner will not be able to access your shelf.

6. Post your selection for your partner in this thread.

7. Come back after finishing the book selected for you by your partner (even if it's after the month has ended) and let everybody know what you think about it.

**The sign up period will remain open until pairs are posted on July 1st and you'll have until July 4th to select a book for your partner.**

Sample shelf: Grey's Pick For Me

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

Grey picks for Ela; she picked Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick ~ Ela rated it

Tessa picks for Michele; she picked Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas ~ Michele rated it 5 stars!

Leslie picks for Tessa; she picked Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare ~ Tessa rated it

Lisa picks for Paula; she picked The Summer Remains (The Summer Remains, #1) by Seth King ~ Paula rated it

Paula picks for Leslie; she picked Just an Illusion - The B Side (The Illusion, #2) by D. Kelly ~ Leslie rated it

Michele picks for Jean; she picked Swear on This Life by Renee Carlino ~ Jean rated it

Jean picks for Stephanie; she picked Jezebel (Jezebel, #1) by K. Larsen ~ Stephanie rated it

Ela picks for Jan; she picked One by Jewel E. Ann ~ Jan rated it

Melinda picks for Renee; she picked Room 212 by Kate Stewart ~ Renee rated it

Renee picks for Grey; she picked Balance (Off Balance, #1) by Lucia Franco ~ Grey rated it 4.5 stars, then continued on and read Execution (Off Balance, #2) by Lucia Franco and rated it 5 stars!

Jan picks for Melinda; she picked True North (True, #1) by Liora Blake ~ Melinda rated it

Stephanie picks for Lisa; she picked This is War, Baby (War & Peace, #1) by K. Webster ~ Lisa rated it

message 2: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I'm in.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments In, baby! 😘

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I am in please

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments I'm in

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Count me in!

message 7: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm in. Hoping to update my list if I can find the time!

message 8: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Yo!

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments I’m in. Love this one. Going to try and read mine early this time.

message 10: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Me! Although I still haven't read a single one of my challenge books for this month urghhhh!!

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Ditto Renee. No, hang on. I did read the June BOTM for a HR group I'm in. And I finally finished my March read for the romance-across-the-ages challenge. LOL. Better late than never. OK. So not that bad after all. But don't worry Renee. we've all been there and no-one's judgin'.

message 12: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I'm currently searching for novellas, Jan! lol I should be able to start reading my June challenge books either tonight or tomorrow.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Novellas? Hmmmm. Have you read the two Prodigal Son parts that have been released so far? They're like novellas.

Sidebarred Sidebarred (The Legal Briefs, #3.5) by Emma Chase
Kind of a sequel to our fav Sustained.
Alpha & Omega Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5) by Patricia Briggs
I'm guessing you've read that one? Charles is hot hot hot!!!
The Stalker: A Sons of Rome Prelude The Stalker A Sons of Rome Prelude (Sons of Rome, #0.5) by Lauren Gilley
I guess you've probly read 'em all??

message 14: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments Me again! I only managed to read my pick for me this past month. My personal goal is to also read 5 of my KU books in July. Some have been there for months!

message 15: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Thanks, Jan. Need to check. I know I haven't read
Sidebarred. But oh, I forgot to mention that these books need to fit the challenges. So I need one that's a fave of Maryse's and one...uh, I can't remember. Lemme check...

message 16: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Oh, Jan, thank you! I have NOT read Alpha and Omega, although I've read bks 1 and 2, and Tessa 5-starred it, so it can be my June ATF challenge book!

And I have read The Stalker.

Now I'm searching Maryse's 5-star reviews for a novella or short book. lol

message 17: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Cancel that. I HAVE read Alpha and Omega. I just rated the anthology instead of the story. And it's not on Tessa's list anyway. None of the books I haven't read are short, so I'll stick with Degradation and just double up next month.

message 18: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments lol I would've been cool with that. Heck, have fun with the 5 stars I have that you might. :) Alpha and Omega is the story that made me fall for Charles and Anna as a couple.

message 19: by Jan (last edited Jun 29, 2018 11:25PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) Tessa wrote: "lol I would've been cool with that. Heck, have fun with the 5 stars I have that you might. :) Alpha and Omega is the story that made me fall for Charles and Anna as a couple."

Me too Tessa. I love that novella.

Renee, Maryse loved Sustained so maybe Sidebarred could be a goer?

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Nay, I know that I get all twitchy when I don't finish a challenge but if you really feel the need to, just do it in another month. What about even "double dipping"? Like if one of june's book also qualifies as a "new to you" author? Regardless, the book challenge police will not come come arrest you, so you are safe!

message 21: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Ummmm......it's July......

message 22: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments That’s a great idea, Leslie! I’ll look into that.

And Grey is posting the picks this month, so I’m sure she’ll be here soon. I’m always here for backup if she needs me, though.

message 23: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I'm here, doing the randomizing now!

message 24: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I hope Stephanie's Me again post meant she wanted to be included... if not, luckily, it works out that we can just swap out her name and Jean could pick for Lisa instead...

Grey picks for Ela
Tessa picks for Michele
Leslie picks for Tessa
Lisa picks for Paula
Paula picks for Leslie
Michele picks for Jean
Jean picks for Stephanie
Ela picks for Jan
Melinda picks for Renee
Renee picks for Grey
Jan picks for Melinda
Stephanie picks for Lisa

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments Leslie - it has to be Just an Illusion - The B Side (The Illusion, #2) by D. Kelly - enjoy!

message 26: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Omg Stephanie! I want to pick so many from your list. Ok let me go back and look again....

message 27: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Ok for Stephanie I pick:

Jezebel (Jezebel, #1) by K. Larsen

message 28: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Michele, Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas Gah, I adored that book. I actually adored quite a few but that one makes one think.

message 29: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments 💛💙💜💚🧡❤️️Happy Birthday, Paula!!! 💛💙💜💚🧡❤️️
🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎉🎈🎊🎆🎂🍰🎁🎇🎆🍭🍬🍧🍨🍦🍮🍩🍻🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈

message 30: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Grey--how are you with the young heroine/older hero trope where the heroins is underage?

message 31: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments *looks at Grey's books*
*sees Elite*
*blinks*

IF THAT IS NOT YOUR PICK (which it doesn't sound like it will be) READ IT! BULLLLLLYYYYYY!!!!!!!

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments Thanks Nay!

message 33: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments What are you doing for your birthday, Paula?

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments We had a family BBQ yesterday so people didn’t have to get up in the morning! That was really nice as we have been having great weather here lately. Today I chilled and read 😀 it’s Sunday night here now so sat down with a glass of champagne as got a bottle for my birthday. We have a programme over here called Love Island and I am hooked! So from 9pm will be immersed in that!

message 35: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I'm ok with all of the books... I love forbidden everything. Hahah!

message 36: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Happy birthday, Paula!! 🎂🎈🎉🎈🎉🎂

message 37: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Ela hasn't read my fave book... you know the one. Jean, Jan, Melinda, Nay... you KNOW the one. But... but... but... I can't pick it. because... Ela didn't participate in the buddy read...she could have... maybe she won't like Player Will... so, I'm skeered... nope, I'm keeping him. He's safe here with me. Instead, I'll pick a book I want to read too... and maybe I'll gauge whether I should push it up my TBR pile based on your reaction. We're pretty similar, you and I, Ela darling... Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick

message 38: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Oh yeah, Grey! That's a great book! I was late to the party on it, and I 5-starred it, so it stood the test of time, too!

And about Ela not joining the BR for your fave book, didn't we read that when she was moving or out for a bit because she was crazy busy?? Either way, I think your current choice is great!

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Paula, I pick The Summer Remains (The Summer Remains, #1) by Seth King . This one looks so good to me and wasn't part of my TBR...but looks like it might need to be

message 40: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Ok, Grey, since you said you're ok with taboo, I'm going to pick one of my fave books of last year, Balance. Balance (Off Balance, #1) by Lucia Franco

This is one of those books that people either love or despise because of the taboo content. I'm going to take a chance and hope you love it!

message 41: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Paula--that sounds great! Enjoy your champagne!

message 42: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Jean, you have some great options! But I’m gonna have to go with Swear on This Life by Renee Carlino . I hope you like it!

message 43: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Tessa wrote: "Michele, Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas Gah, I adored that book. I actually adored quite a few but that one makes one think."

Thanks Tessa! I’m looking forward to it!

message 44: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Michele.... I have that book signed by Ms. D.... gah, it's one of my most treasured possessions... LOL!

message 45: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Grey wrote: "Michele.... I have that book signed by Ms. D.... gah, it's one of my most treasured possessions... LOL!"

So cool Grey!

message 46: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Melinda, for you I pick True North True North (True, #1) by Liora Blake
An enjoyable rock star read. Enjoy.

message 47: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Happy Birthday Paula🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂
🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊
🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷
🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹
I hope you had a great day.😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘

message 48: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Thankyou Jan. I’m going to read early this time.

message 49: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments My pick for Nay is Room 212 by Kate Stewart

I loved this book in fact I think it’s her best.
Enjoy.

message 50: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Thank you, Melinda! Can't go wrong with Kate Stewart, and I've obviously wanted to read this for a long time and have NO idea why I haven't yet.

« previous 1 3 4