The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Factory Archives♦ > BOOK It to the Finish Line! - July 2018

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 15491 comments Mod
description

The Great Knaresborough Bed Race is one of the most spectacular community events held in the UK.

It was first staged in 1966 and have been never cancelled. 90 teams of six runners and a passenger take part in the glorious fancy dress pageant that comprises the first half of the event, before the race itself which is run as time trails with team leaving at 10-second intervals.

The Great Knaresborough Bed Race 2012 (Official Video)

Duration: July 1 - 31, 2018
Books must be at least 200 pages.

Rereads are okay.
mc = main character

The course is wonderful and, apart from one stretch down an almost vertical drop now deemed too dangerous, follows exactly the same course as that in 1966. The course is challenging and hard. (I've tried to make my challenge fun and easy :)

To complete the course, you must clear at least three of these obstacles:
up a steep grassy bank - read a book with a lot of green on the cover
through parkland - read a book where the mc goes to a park
along the scenic Waterside - read a book with water on the cover
pass through the dramatic Nidd Gorge - read a book that has been made into a movie
up the steep Castle Ings - read a book where the title starts with a 'I', 'N', 'G', or 'S'
around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - read a book where the mc goes shopping
down the High Street and Bond End - read a book with a spy in it
across High Bridge - read a book where the mc flies in an airplane
the rough ground of McIntosh Park - read a book where the mc eats an apple
the notorious 20-yard swim across the fast-flowing Nidd - read a book published in the 20th century

message 2: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

I would love to see what bed you'll be 'racing' with! But nothing too racy. (Ha!)

message 3: by Nicole (last edited Jul 26, 2018 11:40PM) (new)

Nicole P Book It To The Finish Line: The Great Knaresborough Bed Race

9/10 completed

1. Up a steep grassy bank - read a book with a lot of green on the cover.
🛏 Getting Schooled by Emma Chase (19/07) ★★★★

2. Through parkland - read a book where the mc goes to a park.
🛏 Low Pressure by Sandra Brown (26/07) ★★★★

3. Along the scenic Waterside - read a book with water on the cover.
🛏 Predator's Kiss by Rosanna Leo (21/07) ★★★

4. Pass through the dramatic Nidd Gorge - read a book that has been made into a movie.
🛏 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (13/07) ★★★★★

5. Up the steep Castle Ings - read a book where the title starts with a 'I', 'N', 'G', or 'S'.
🛏 Imperfect Chemistry by Mary Frame (02/07) ★★★

6. Around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - read a book where the mc goes shopping.
🛏 Full Mountie by Ainsley Booth & Sadie Haller (05/07) ★★★

7. Down the High Street and Bond End - read a book with a spy in it.
🛏 ROMANCE: Dragon Heat by Ella J. Phoenix (23/07) ★★★★

8. Across High Bridge - read a book where the mc flies in an airplane.
🛏 Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★

9. The rough ground of McIntosh Park - read a book where the mc eats an apple.
🛏 Jock Row by Sara Ney (11/07) ★★★★

10. The notorious 20-yard swim across the fast-flowing Nidd - read a book published in the 20th century.
🛏

Getting Schooled (Getting Some, #1) by Emma Chase Low Pressure by Sandra Brown Predator's Kiss (Gemini Island Shifters, #1) by Rosanna Leo Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4) by J.K. Rowling Imperfect Chemistry (Imperfect, #1) by Mary Frame Full Mountie (Frisky Beavers, #3) by Ainsley Booth Dragon Heat (Dragon Heat #1) by Ella J. Phoenix Hard Hitter (Brooklyn Bruisers #2) by Sarina Bowen Jock Row (Jock Hard, #1) by Sara Ney 10

message 4: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jul 14, 2018 11:47AM) (new)

I'm in.
3/3 obstacles cleared marathon completed
I'll be racing this bed:
description

through parkland - read a book where the mc goes to a park False Colours 7/9/18 ****
pass through the dramatic Nidd Gorge - read a book that has been made into a movie Twilight 1/13/18 ****
up the steep Castle Ings - read a book where the title starts with a 'I', 'N', 'G', or 'S'
around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - read a book where the mc goes shopping
20-yard swim across the fast-flowing Nidd - read a book published in the 20th century Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy 7/3/18 *****

Gil-or (readingbooksinisrael) (meirathefirst) | 175 comments To complete the course, you must clear at least three of these obstacles:
pass through the dramatic Nidd Gorge - read a book that has been made into a movie
the notorious 20-yard swim across the fast-flowing Nidd - read a book published in the 20th century

message 6: by Meg (last edited Jul 31, 2018 12:11AM) (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 1155 comments I've tried to make my challenge fun and easy :)

thanks! =)

✔ up a steep grassy bank - read a book with a lot of green on the cover
One Foot in the Grape (Cypress Cove Mystery, #1) by Carlene O'Neil One Foot in the Grape
7/17

✔ through parkland - read a book where the mc goes to a park
The Mother's Day Mishap (Tess and Tilly #3) by Kathi Daley The Mother's Day Mishap 7/6

✔ along the scenic Waterside - read a book with water on the cover
Death of the Kona Man (Aloha Lagoon Mysteries #9) by Catherine Bruns Death of the Kona Man 7/24

✔ pass through the dramatic Nidd Gorge - read a book that has been made into a movie

Three Bedrooms, One Corpse (Aurora Teagarden, #3) by Charlaine Harris Three Bedrooms, One Corpse 7/30

✔ up the steep Castle Ings - read a book where the title starts with a 'I', 'N', 'G', or 'S'

Innkeeping with Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #1) by Tim Myers Innkeeping with Murder 7/2

✔ around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - read a book where the mc goes shopping
Deadly Decor (Caprice De Luca Mystery #2) by Karen Rose Smith Deadly Decor 7/7

✔ down the High Street and Bond End - read a book with a spy in it
Once Upon a Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #14) by Cleo Coyle Once Upon a Grind (mc plays role of spy in an underground NY club) 7/10

✔ across High Bridge - read a book where the mc flies in an airplane

Death of a Bachelorette (A Jaine Austen Mystery #15) by Laura Levine Death of a Bachelorette 7/14

✔ the notorious 20-yard swim across the fast-flowing Nidd - read a book published in the 20th century

A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #2) by Charlaine Harris A Bone to Pick 7/26

message 7: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 13, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1470 comments The Challenge Factory
BOOK It to the Finish Line! - July 2018
Duration:
July 1 - 31, 2018

Progress: 3 out of 3

The Great Knaresborough Bed Race is one of the most spectacular community events held in the UK.

It was first staged in 1966 and have been never cancelled. 90 teams of six runners and a passenger take part in the glorious fancy dress pageant that comprises the first half of the event, before the race itself which is run as time trails with team leaving at 10-second intervals.

Rereads are okay.
mc = main character

The course is wonderful and, apart from one stretch down an almost vertical drop now deemed too dangerous, follows exactly the same course as that in 1966. The course is challenging and hard. (I've tried to make my challenge fun and easy :)

Through parkland - Read a book where the mc goes to a park
Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue - **** - 7/11/2018 - 380 Pages

Up the steep Castle Ings - Read a book where the title starts with a 'I', 'N', 'G', or 'S'
News of the World by Paulette Jiles - ***** - 7/8/2018 - 209 Pages

Around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - Read a book where the mc goes shopping
Sugar Daddy by Sawyer Bennett - *** - 7/13/2018 - 220 Pages

News of the World by Paulette Jiles Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue Sugar Daddy (Sugar Bowl, #1) by Sawyer Bennett

message 8: by Rissa (last edited Jul 31, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Rissa | 561 comments My spot! :)

Bed to come! Lol

(Duration: July 1 - 31, 2018
Rereads are okay.
mc = main character)

FINISHED 3/3!

up a steep grassy bank - read a book with a lot of green on the cover finished 7/18/2018 A Destiny of Dragons by T.J. Klune

up the steep Castle Ings - read a book where the title starts with a 'I', 'N', 'G', or 'S' finished 7/13/2018 Slow Heat by Leta Blake

around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - read a book where the mc goes shopping finished 7/5/2018 Out by Cara Dee

message 9: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 31, 2018 06:17AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Knaresborough Bed Race
Begins: 01July18 / Ends: 31July18

10 / 3 completed

up a steep grassy bank - read a book with a lot of green on the cover - The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings ✔ – 13July18

through parkland - read a book where the mc goes to a park - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18

along the scenic Waterside - water on cover - The Baileys Harbor Bird and Booyah Club by Dave Crehore ✔ – 31July18 (in background, just over the field)

pass through the dramatic Nidd Gorge - read a book that has been made into a movie - My Cousin Rachel ✔ – 10July18

up the steep Castle Ings - read a book where the title starts with a 'I', 'N', 'G', or 'S' - Someone Knows My Name ✔ – 19July18

around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - read a book where the mc goes shopping - Left Neglected ✔ – 02July18

down the High Street and Bond End - read a book with a spy in it - Island Beneath the Sea ✔ – 28July18

across High Bridge - read a book where the mc flies in an airplane - Lilac Girls ✔ – 02July18

the rough ground of McIntosh Park - read a book where the mc eats an apple - The Road ✔ – 10July18

the notorious 20-yard swim across the fast-flowing Nidd - read a book published in the 20th century - The Professor and the Madman ✔ – 17July18

message 10: by Cindy III (last edited Aug 01, 2018 02:11AM) (new)

Cindy III | 340 comments Book It to the Finish Line July 2018

The Great Knaresborough Bed Race 2012 (Official Video)

Duration: July 1 - 31, 2018
Rereads are okay.

Scandal in Spring 7/25 - 31

message 11: by Celia (last edited Jul 29, 2018 12:51AM) (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 720 comments I'll join this one.

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok (7/28)
A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas (7/6)

Lady Be Good by Amber Brock (7/21)

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1) by Sarah J. Maas Lady Be Good by Amber Brock

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 650 comments Duration: July 1 - 31, 2018
Rereads are okay.
mc = main character

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1470 comments Finished!

The Challenge Factory
BOOK It to the Finish Line! - July 2018
Duration:
July 1 - 31, 2018

Progress: 3 out of 3

Rereads are okay.
mc = main character

Through parkland - Read a book where the mc goes to a park
Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue - **** - 7/11/2018 - 380 Pages

Up the steep Castle Ings - Read a book where the title starts with a 'I', 'N', 'G', or 'S'
News of the World by Paulette Jiles - ***** - 7/8/2018 - 209 Pages

Around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - Read a book where the mc goes shopping
Sugar Daddy by Sawyer Bennett - *** - 7/13/2018 - 220 Pages

News of the World by Paulette Jiles Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue Sugar Daddy (Sugar Bowl, #1) by Sawyer Bennett

message 14: by Jonquil (last edited Jul 30, 2018 03:53PM) (new)

Jonquil | 699 comments July 1 - 31, 2018

DONE

up a steep grassy bank - read a book with a lot of green on the cover 7/19
Marigolds and Murder (Port Danby Mystery #1) by London Lovett
through parkland - mc goes to a park Murder at the 42nd Street Library 7/30
along the scenic Waterside - water on the cover 7/12
Pouncing on Murder (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #4) by Laurie Cass
up the steep Castle Ings - title starts with a 'I' Iron Crowned 7/13
around the cobbled stones of the Marketplace - mc goes shopping Colton Copycat Killer 7/29
down the High Street and Bond End -with a spy in it Mr. Lemoncello's Great Library Race 7/27
across High Bridge -mc flies in an airplane Track Down Alaska 7/8
the rough ground of McIntosh Park - mc eats an apple Danish) yum. New River Blues 7/28

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Update Message # 10 - ALL tasks completed!

message 16: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 561 comments Finished! See message 9! :)

message 17: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 1155 comments Almost finished the course, but no apple. Believe it or not I only read one book where the mc eats an apple, but I needed that book for another task, as well.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P Short by one :( Message 4

message 19: by Marla (new)

Marla | 811 comments Book it to the Finish Line! July 2018
Great Knaresborough Bed Race
Duration: 7/1/18 - 7/31/18
Progress: 3 of 3 obstacles

Snapshot by Lis Wiehl (7/9/18)
The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz (7/20/18)
A Cold Dark Place by Toni Anderson (7/10/18)