What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

No More Dead Dogs
This topic is about No More Dead Dogs
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young Adult: Middle school boy writes dissenting essay about a beloved story of a dog Old Shep (?), put in after school detention until he changes essay. Teacher puts on a play about the dog story. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

elena m howard | 5 comments I am looking for a young adult book about a middle school kid who writes a dissenting essay about a beloved story of Old Shep (?). The teacher puts him in after school detention until he changes his essay. the teacher is also putting on a stage adaption of the dog story and the student (sport captain) redesigns the show and there is a very funny kid ending. I thought it was an Avi book put I can't find it on the site.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 26, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Elena, I have no idea about your book but it sounds interesting. If you want more people to read your thread (thus more people helping to find your book) you need to put some kind of description of the book into your thread title. (This can only be edited in the computer version of GR. If you are using the app, just say so and one of the mods--we are all OCD and we read everything, what can I say--will be more than happy to fix it for you.) And you have multiple groups to help you out too. Those who love dog stories, YA readers, since this looks like it might be either literary or coming of age, those 2 groups would also be added to the list of those who might know your story.

Having finished the cheering section--now for a few questions.

1) when did you read this--last year, last decade, 20 years ago, 50, 100?
2) any memories of the cover?
3) you say "Sport captain" which to me says--probably NOT a U.S. book but rather a U.K. one--English, Scottish, Irish, Canadian, Australian etc. Am I correct in this assumption?
4) Did you put the question mark after Old Shep because you aren't sure if that is the name of the dog--so it could possibly be one of the dozen or so other famous dog characters out there?

And can I just say, in support of your MC--teachers who don't like to have their fav authors dissed are a serious pain. I had one who was convinced that Ernest Hemingway was the greatest author that the English language had ever produced and did NOT like my calling the man a drunken blow hard. Ah well, I'm still proud of the D I got in that class, since my Final essay was written in support of my ideas on Hemingway.

I hope your book gets found quickly since I'll be adding it to my kids corner book shelf.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

elena m howard | 5 comments Ayshe wrote: "Is it No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman?"

Thank you so much! this is exactly the book I was looking for!!!

elena m howard | 5 comments Kris wrote: "I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app)."

Hey Kris,
Even with my obscure description, Ayshe totally figured it out. What awesome people are on this site!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
I think she's partly psychic. Awesome indeed.

message 8: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments You're both very kind. I just searched "old shep" avi in google books and Making the Match: The Right Book for the Right Reader at the Right Time, Grades 4-12, where it is mentioned was the second result.