The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Factory Archives♦ > Ripped From the Headlines - July 2018

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 15538 comments Mod
description

Each month a weird, unusual, or odd news story will be featured. Your task will be to read a book associated with words pulled from the account. You choose how the book connects with the word.

No page limit. Re-reads and audio books are okay.
You can read as many or as few as you want.
You can read one of each or focus on two or three words.

Duration : June 1 - 30, 2018

My sister-in-law actually brought this month's headline to my attention :)
Here's the news clip on the nightly news.

Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona
QUEEN CREEK, AZ - It's the stuff you'd see in your nightmares, and a Valley man came face to face with it.

Its common name is the camel spider, wind scorpion or sun spider; however, it's not a spider and it's also not a scorpion. It's a cousin to both. It's in the same group as arachnids but isn't a true spider, according to Pierce Hutton, a biology Ph.D. student at Arizona State University. It's in the genus "Eremobates."

He found the creepy creature at his Queen Creek home. After living in Arizona for 37 years, he's never encountered one. He found it odd looking.

Biologists say the creature is a cousin of common spiders, but its powerful pinchers and menacing jaws make it a closer relative of another desert danger: scorpions.

The camel spider can get big enough to feast on small rodents, birds, lizards and insects; it also has the largest jaw size to body size ratio of any known animal, according to Hutton.

words from the story:
nightmare
man
face
camel
wind
sun
cousin
true
student
university
creepy
Arizona
odd
powerful
menacing
spider
big
feast
bird
animal

message 2: by Nicole (last edited Aug 01, 2018 06:56AM) (new)

Nicole P Ripped from the Headlines - July 2018

20/20 found

1. Nightmare: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"...thing had been like a nightmare brought to life." Loc 3640

2. Man: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"...he never felt dread, that man was lying." Loc 127

3. Face: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"...the opponent you had to face down in five hours." Loc 91

4. Camel: Jock Row by Sara Ney (11/07) ★★★★
"...like a camel can go without water." Page 222

5. Wind: Imperfect Chemistry by Mary Frame (02/07) ★★★
"The wind picks up and blows..." Page 110

6. Sun: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"The sun was out..." Loc 871

7. Cousin: Delivery Girl by Lily Kate (01/07) ★★
"She's my cousin and we've developed..." Page 1

8. True: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"And surely it was true ." Loc 499

9. Student: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"Ari asked her students to close their eyes..." Loc 3386

10. University: Imperfect Chemistry by Mary Frame (02/07) ★★★
"I've been studying at the university since I was thirteen." Page 11

11. Creepy: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"...signature on it to the creepy story..." Loc 2744

12. Arizona: Jock Row by Sara Ney (11/07) ★★★★
"That's where we ended up: Arizona ." Page 356

13. Odd: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"...it was odd that he wouldn't seek it." Loc 323

14. Powerful: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"...he stalked towards her again, powerful muscles popping as he moved..." Loc 1427

15. Menacing: Hot Asset by Lauren Layne (03/07) ★★★★
"I take a menacing step toward him..." Page 222

16. Spider: Imperfect Chemistry by Mary Frame (02/07) ★★★
"You would leave frogs and spiders ..." Page 71

17. Big: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"...soreness shouldn't be such a big deal." Loc 97

18. Feast: Ruthless Protector by Sherilee Gray (03/07) ★★★
"If I'm not touching, feasting ..." Loc 3139

19. Bird: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen (01/07) ★★★★
"A little bird told me you liked these." Loc 2619

20. Animal: Delivery Girl by Lily Kate (01/07) ★★
"I'm not a complete animal ..." Page 11

Hard Hitter (Brooklyn Bruisers #2) by Sarina Bowen Delivery Girl (Minnesota Ice, #1) by Lily Kate Imperfect Chemistry (Imperfect, #1) by Mary Frame Hot Asset (21 Wall Street, #1) by Lauren Layne Ruthless Protector (Lawless Kings, #4) by Sherilee Gray Jock Row (Jock Hard, #1) by Sara Ney

Rollover - June
1. Eviction: The Billionaire’s Wake-up-call Girl by Annika Martin (12/07) ★★★★
"...I discovered the bakery eviction notices..." Loc 269

The Billionaire’s Wake-up-call Girl by Annika Martin

message 3: by Richard (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Richard Moore (richoman25) The Challenge Factory
Ripped From the Headlines ~ July
July 1 - 31, 2018

Total: 57/143

26/47 Part 1

It's - 1/7/18 *** - It's Not the Size of the Data -- It's How You Use It: Smarter Marketing with Analytics and Dashboards by Koen Pauwels
the - 2/7/18 *** - The Extended Phenotype: The Long Reach of the Gene by Richard Dawkins
stuff - 3/7/18 ** - The Good Stuff Cookbook by Spike Mendelsohn
you'd -
see - 3/7/18 ** - The World as I See It by Albert Einstein
in - 5/7/18 **** - Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin D. Mitnick
your - 1/7/18 ** - Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More by Rob Knight
nightmares - 7/7/18 **** - European Nightmares: Horror Cinema in Europe Since 1945 by Patricia Allmer
and - 5/7/18 ** - Dollars and Sex: How Economics Influences Sex and Love by Marina Adshade
a - 3/7/18 *** - A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World from Prehistory to Today by William J. Bernstein
man - 5/7/18 **** - Confessions of an Advertising Man by David Ogilvy
came -
face - 7/7/18 **** - Face the Music: A Life Exposed by Paul Stanley
to - 1/7/18 *** - Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss by Joel Fuhrman
face -
with - 4/7/18 *** - Investing with Impact: Why Finance Is a Force for Good by Jeremy Balkin
it - 4/7/18 *** - Nail It Then Scale It by Nathan Furr
Its -
common - 9/7/18 *** - The Common Law by Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
name -
is - 1/7/18 *** - Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends by Tim Sanders
the - 2/7/18 *** - The Eureka Factor: Aha Moments, Creative Insight, and the Brain by John Kounios
camel - 4/7/18 ** - The Camel - Its Uses and Management by Arthur Glyn Leonard
wind -
scorpion -
or -
sun - 14/7/18 ***** - Sun Tzu: The Art of War for Managers; 50 Strategic Rules by Sun Tzu
however -
it's -
not -
a - 6/7/18 *** - Jugaad Innovation: A Frugal and Flexible Approach to Innovation for the 21st Century by Navi Radjou
and - 7/7/18 ** - Magic and Loss: The Internet as Art by Virginia Heffernan
it's -
also -
not - 5/7/18 *** - Trying Not to Try: The Art and Science of Spontaneity by Edward Slingerland
a - 27/7/18 *** - A World Without Ice by Henry N. Pollack
scorpion - 10/7/18 * - Scorpion in the Bed, The Narcissist in Couples and Couple Therapy by Ronald Mah
It's -
a -
cousin -
to - 6/7/18 *** - Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want by Alexander Osterwalder
both -
It's -
in -
the - 2/7/18 **** - The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World by Brad Stone
same -
group -

message 4: by Richard (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:15AM) (new)

July 1 - 31, 2018

20/48 Part 2

as - 1/7/18 *** - The World As It Is: Inside the Obama White House by Ben Rhodes
but - 7/7/18 *** - Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts by Carol Tavris
isn't -
a -
true -
according -
to - 8/7/18 **** - How to Make Anyone Fall in Love With You: 85 Proven Techniques for Success by Leil Lowndes
a -
biology -
Ph.D. - 11/7/18 ** - You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective by Richard Carlson
student - 11/7/18 ** - Fast Facts for the Student Nurse: Nursing Student Success in a Nutshell by Susan Stabler-Haas
at - 6/7/18 **** - You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero
It's -
in - 6/7/18 ** - The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron by Bethany McLean
the - 3/7/18 ** - The Myth of the Strong Leader: Political Leadership in the Modern Age by Archie Brown
genus -
He -
found - 4/7/18 * - Lost and Found: Finding Hope in the Detours of Life by Sarah Jakes
the - 2/7/18 *** - The Rebel Rules: Daring To Be Yourself In Business by Chip Conley
creepy -
creature -
at -
his -
home - 13/7/18 *** - Manage Your Smart Home With An App!: Learn Step-by-Step How to Control Your Home Lighting, Thermostats, IP Cameras, Music, Alarm, Locks, Kitchen and Garden with an App! by Gerard O'Driscoll
After - 9/7/18 ** - After the Music Stopped: The Financial Crisis, the Response, and the Work Ahead by Alan S. Blinder
living - 9/7/18 *** - The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country by Helen Russell
in - 8/7/18 ** - Skin in the Game: The Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
for -
years -
he's -
never - 28/7/18 **** - Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time by Keith Ferrazzi
encountered -
one - 25/7/18 ***** - The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller
He -
found -
it - 6/7/18 ** - The Impulse Factor: Why Some of Us Play It Safe and Others Risk It All by Nick Tasler
odd -
looking -
Biologists -
say -
the - 2/7/18 ** - The News: A User's Manual by Alain de Botton
creature -
is - 2/7/18 *** - Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin
a -
cousin -
of - 1/7/18 *** - Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge
common -
but -

message 5: by Richard (last edited Jul 14, 2018 12:23AM) (new)

July 1 - 31, 2018

12/48 Part 3

its -
powerful -
pinchers -
and -
menacing -
jaws -
make -
it - 6/7/18 **** - You'll See It When You Believe It: The Way to Your Personal Transformation by Wayne W. Dyer
a -
closer -
relative -
of - 3/7/18 ** - The Failure of Risk Management: Why It's Broken and How to Fix It by Douglas W. Hubbard
another - 10/7/18 ** - The Cybernetic Brain: Sketches of Another Future by Andrew Pickering
desert -
danger -
scorpions -
The - 5/7/18 *** - Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life by Jillian Michaels
camel -
can -
get -
big -
enough -
to - 7/7/18 ***** - How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
feast -
on -
small - 12/7/18 *** - Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson
rodents -
birds -
lizards - 4/7/18 ** - Keeping Blue-Tongue Lizards by Grant Turner
and -
insects - 12/7/18 * - Insects: Their Ways and Means of Living by Robert Evans Snodgrass
it -
also -
has -
the - 3/7/18 ***** - The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
largest -
jaw -
size -
to - 9/7/18 **** - Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Clues by Paul Ekman
body -
size -
ratio -
of - 2/7/18 *** - The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism by Fritjof Capra
any -
known -
animal -
according -
to - 12/7/18 **** - Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t: Why That Is And What You Can Do About It by Steven Pressfield

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1470 comments The Challenge Factory
Ripped From the Headlines - July 2018
Duration:
July 1 - 30, 2018

Progress: 0 out of 1+ (at least)

Each month a weird, unusual, or odd news story will be featured. Your task will be to read a book associated with words pulled from the account. You choose how the book connects with the word.

My sister-in-law actually brought this month's headline to my attention :)
Here's the news clip on the nightly news.

QUEEN CREEK, AZ - It's the stuff you'd see in your nightmares, and a Valley man came face to face with it.

Its common name is the camel spider, wind scorpion or sun spider; however, it's not a spider and it's also not a scorpion. It's a cousin to both. It's in the same group as arachnids but isn't a true spider, according to Pierce Hutton, a biology Ph.D. student at Arizona State University. It's in the genus "Eremobates."

He found the creepy creature at his Queen Creek home. After living in Arizona for 37 years, he's never encountered one. He found it odd looking.

Biologists say the creature is a cousin of common spiders, but its powerful pinchers and menacing jaws make it a closer relative of another desert danger: scorpions.

The camel spider can get big enough to feast on small rodents, birds, lizards and insects; it also has the largest jaw size to body size ratio of any known animal, according to Hutton.

Words from the story:

nightmare
man
face
camel
wind
sun
cousin
true
student
university
creepy
Arizona
odd
powerful
menacing
spider
big
feast
bird
animal

message 7: by Rissa (last edited Aug 04, 2018 11:14AM) (new)

Rissa | 565 comments My spot! :)

Duration : July 1 - 30, 2018

(view spoiler)

words from the story: FINISHED 7!

nightmare
man - one of the mc’s is a man pretending to be a mail order bride - Robby Riverton: Mail Order Bride - finished 7/4/2018
face - face on the cover - Out For the Holidays - finished 7/5/2018
camel
wind
sun
cousin
true - the title has this word as a root word - Secrets & Truths - finished 7/11/2018
student - one of the mc’s brother is a student - Out - finished 7/5/2018
university - the mcs meet in university - Slow Heat - finished 7/13/2018
creepy
Arizona
odd
powerful
menacing
spider
big
feast - the mcs were thrown a feast because they did what they set out to do - A Destiny of Dragons - finished 7/18/2018
bird
animal - one of the mc’s owns an animal - Dim Sum Asylum - finished 7/9/2018

message 8: by Tania (last edited Jul 30, 2018 04:43AM) (new)

Tania | 180 comments COMPLETE
I'm joining with a goal of 7

TCF Breaking News - July
Duration : July 1 - 31, 2018
Progress: 9/7

You choose how the book connects with the word.

Words from the story:
nightmare
✓man - Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer, the true story of a man who breaks away from modern society to live a simpler life and reconnect with nature and the investigation into what happened to him, ★★★★★
✓face - Star Wars: Rey to the Rescue! by Lisa Stock (finished 7/6), Rey has to face a number of enemies and obstacles, ★★★★★
camel
wind
sun
cousin
✓true - Mysterious! Outer Space Reader, Grades 1 - 2 by Katharine Kenah (finished 7/6), my review is here
✓student - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling (finished 7/11), my review is here
university
creepy
✓Arizona - Bless the Beasts and Children by Glendon Swarthout (finished 7/1), set in Arizona, ★★★★
odd
✓powerful - Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond (finished 7/6), a powerful narrative about a pressing social issue, ★★★★★
menacing
spider
big
✓feast - Rick Steves Italy 2018 by Rick Steves (finished 7/30), plenty of reviews regarding feasts you can find in Italy, my review is here
✓bird - Raise Heaven and Earth: The Story of Martin Marietta People and Their Pioneering Achievements by William B. Harwood (finished 7/29), beginning with airplanes that took to the sky like birds, ★★★★★
✓animal - Amazing Dogs: Tales of Daring Dogs! by Laura Buller (finished 7/5), about dogs, ★★★★★

message 9: by Meg (last edited Jul 30, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 1160 comments Ripped from Headlines - July

nightmare - A Breath of Witchy Air (Wicked Witches of the Midwest, #12) by Amanda M. Lee A Breath of Witchy Air ("You had a nightmare, didn't you?") 7/5

man - Once Upon a Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #14) by Cleo Coyle Once Upon a Grind ("The hurt look was back on the man's face, but this time it was genuine.") 7/10

face - The Delaware Detectives by Dana Rongione The Delaware Detectives ("She had a round, freckled face and bright auburn hair...") 7/2

camel - Yarned and Dangerous (Tangled Web Mystery, #1) by Sadie Hartwell Yarned and Dangerous ("On one peg hung a classic camel Burberry coat...") 7/30

wind - The Mother's Day Mishap (Tess and Tilly #3) by Kathi Daley The Mother's Day Mishap ("The dogs sat happily in the backseat of Tony's truck...as the wind caressed their faces") 7/6

sun - Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8) by Rhys Bowen Queen of Hearts (mc and her mother are surprised how hot and bright the sun is in Nevada and California compared to England) 7/12

cousin - Innkeeping with Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #1) by Tim Myers Innkeeping with Murder ("You mean your cousin Irene?) 7/2

true - Death of a Bachelorette (A Jaine Austen Mystery #15) by Laura Levine Death of a Bachelorette ("And then I learned the true meaning of the words, "Be careful what you wish for.") 7/14

student - Deadly Decor (Caprice De Luca Mystery #2) by Karen Rose Smith Deadly Decor ("Education was getting boiled down to how well a student scored on a standardized test." 7/7

university - Just Killing Time (Clock Shop Mystery, #1) by Julianne Holmes Just Killing Time ("With Harris University buying up parts of Orchard, there's more going on here than ever before.") 7/20

creepy - Fried Rice and Fangs (Harper "Foxxy" Beck #10) by Raven Snow Fried Rice and Fangs ("Her lips curved, and it surprisingly wasn't a creepy smile at all") 7/3

Arizona - Mango Cake and Murder (Mom and Christy's Mysteries #1) by Christy Murphy Mango Cake and Murder ("But maybe my kids and husband should go to my mother-in-law's in Arizona.") 7/7

odd - The Chihuahua Affair by Ellen Carlsen The Chihuahua Affair ("So you see, after a while Sylvia and Carlton didn't seem like an odd couple at all.") 7/22

powerful - Death of the Kona Man (Aloha Lagoon Mysteries #9) by Catherine Bruns Death of the Kona Man ("I watched as he slammed the door and walked up the driveway with powerful strides...") 7/24

menacing - Bad Debt (Savannah Martin Mysteries #14) by Jenna Bennett Bad Debt ("The dog growled, a deep-in-its-throat, menacing rumble.") 7/16

spider - One Foot in the Grape (Cypress Cove Mystery, #1) by Carlene O'Neil One Foot in the Grape (Two of the characters watched a spider advance on a honeybee trapped in its web.) 7/17

big - Sweets & a Stabbing (The Pink Cupcake Mysteries, #1) by Harper Lin Sweets & a Stabbing ("Proudly, Amelia pointed to her big pink truck.") 7/8

feast - Dead Cold Brew (Coffeehouse Mystery, #16) by Cleo Coyle Dead Cold Brew ("The first ingredient of tonight's feast was the foundation of most Italian American soul food - tomato sauce.") 7/18

bird - Scared Money (Savannah Martin Mysteries #13) by Jenna Bennett Scared Money("A Southern Belle is supposed to have a wasp waist and the appetite of a bird.") 7/9

animal - Finding Answers (Rescue Alaska Mystery #2) by Kathi Daley Finding Answers (mc adopts strays plus oversees the new animal shelter) 7/11

message 10: by Cindy III (last edited Aug 05, 2018 01:25AM) (new)

Cindy III | 340 comments Ripped from the Headlines July 2018

Duration : July 1 - 31, 2018

words from the story:
Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas 7/25 - 31
nightmare - She is every man's worst nightmare. 9% ch. 2
man - She couldn't imagine how she could have forgotten a man this attractive. 7% ch. 1
face - "You," she whispered, her eyes wide with astonishment as she beheld the face of Matthew Swift. 7% ch. 1
wind - Wind and rain battered the vehicle, and Marcus thought with concern about the driver and horses. 87% ch.19
sun - He smelled like the outdoors--sun, water, grassy-sweet. 20% ch. 4
cousin - Instead she chose Marguerite...French, mind you!...after a cousin on her maternal side. 16% ch. 4
true - It had also been remarked that Daisy spent far too much time with her books, which was probably true. 6% ch. 1
The Water Dragon's Bride, Vol. 5
student - You're to be my student. p. 149
Waiting for Spring Vol. 3 by Anashin
creepy - You're right! It is creepy. p. 117
Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 25 by Julietta Suzuki
odd - This is an odd twist of fate. p. 115
powerful - "A long time ago," he eventually said, "I made an enemy, a powerful one, through no fault of my own..." 59% ch. 11
menacing - "I'm coming," Westcliff shouted, and turned to view the footman with a menacing glare. "Find someone," he bit out. 46% ch. 9
big - Leave me alone and go back to your plans for building your big sodding factory and making mountains of money! 57% ch. 10
bird - "I'm not going to let that blasted bird ruin my coat." 21% ch. 4
animal - "You brought me an animal doctor?" 47% ch. 9

Camel
Spider
University
Arizona
Feast

message 11: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 31, 2018 06:21AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Ripped From the Headlines
Begins: 01July18 / Ends: 31July18

11 completed

(NOTE: I alphabetized for my convenience)

animal - On the cover - The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings ✔ – 13July18

Arizona
big

bird - Bird on cover - The Baileys Harbor Bird and Booyah Club by Dave Crehore ✔ – 31July18

camel

cousin - title word - My Cousin Rachel ✔ – 10July18

creepy - Poe was a master of CREEPY stories - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18

face - On the cover - Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende ✔ – 28July18

feast - Title begins with a F - Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18

man - Man on cover - The Professor and the Madman A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester ✔ – 17July18

menacing

nightmare - The boy has nightmares - The Road ✔ – 10July18

odd

powerful - Powerful story - Someone Knows My Name ✔ – 19July18

spider

student - Charlie struggles in school in Left Neglected ✔ – 02July18

sun

true - Based on a true story - Lilac Girls ✔ – 02July18

university
wind

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P All done. Managed to find all the words and the one leftover from July. Message 2

message 13: by Tania (new)

Tania | 180 comments Challenge complete on message 8, with 9/7

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Update Message # 11 - 11 tasks completed this month.

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 1160 comments Completed and happy to say that I seem to have found all the words

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P Got them all and the one orphan from June. Woohoo :) Message 2

message 17: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 565 comments Finished! See message 7! :)

message 18: by Cindy III (last edited Aug 05, 2018 01:26AM) (new)

Cindy III | 340 comments Found 15 words out of 20 on message 10