The Challenge Factory discussion

Scavenger Hunt Archives > Semi-annual Hard Scavenger Hunt II

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Deb (chiana) | 576 comments Mod
Similar to the other Scavenger Hunt Challenges, but this one will be far more challenging to find all of the words.

• The challenge runs from July 1 - December 31, 2018.

• This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in during this time frame.

•While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items - they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book. Most items are specific, but if in doubt about an item – just ask!

•You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you do not have to read 40 books for this challenge...do not worry!)

•When you find one of the items, list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), then specify where the item is found within the book and a blurb from the sentence. For audiobooks try to put the chapter if possible. If not, then at least let us know you got it from an audiobook.

•Books that are used must be completed during the period of this challenge.

Good Luck & Happy Reading! ☺

The List
Bas-relief
Battering Ram
Boiled
Canadian Goose - singular or plural
Cantilever
Charlatan
Chinos
Cloisonné
Enigmatic
Fedora
Galoshes
Guild
Henna tattoo
Hotwire
Mermaid
Mundane
Myriad
Operator assisted phone call
Ostrich
Outhouse
Pay phone (will accept phone booth if they use the phone)
Pickled herring
Pinto
Pistachio
Pompous
Qwerty
Rebar
Recluse
Sardonic
Sawhorse
Shanty
Smorgasbord
Someone donates blood
Spiral staircase
Station wagon
Straight (poker hand)
String Cheese
Tomato juice
Trance
Transcendental
Whitewash

message 2: by Denise (last edited Dec 03, 2018 03:59PM) (new)

Denise | 675 comments Thank you!
July 1 - December 31 2018
The List

30/40 found

Bas-relief

Battering Ram - “…the AFOs used a battering ram on the door…” p. 17 Bad Boy by Peter Robinson 7.3.18

Boiled-“…the kettle must have boiled very fast…” p. 51 Bad Boy by Peter Robin 7.3.18

Cantilever “…cantilevered himself up to the seat top.” P. 78 Kinsey and Me: Stories by Sue Graft 7.18.18

Charlatan - “He gives it away to charlatans an false healers.” P.. 164 Solace for a Sinner by Caroline Roe 9.4.18

Chinos-“He was wearing chinos and a plain white T-shhotirt.” P. 38 KKinsey and Me: Stories by Sue Grafton 7.18.18

Cloisonne - “…crimson asters arranged in a cloisonné vase.” P.155 Death in Midsummer and Other Stories by Yukio Mishima 7.5.18

Enigmatic-“Queenie gave her an enigmatic little squint.” P. 56 Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7.8.18

Fedora-“Russian is the most beautiful language in the world,” cut in a man with a fedora hat…” p. 177 Mind The Doors: Long Short Stories by Zinovy Zinik 7.12.18

Galoshes –“She was wearing rural galoshes that made her legs look thicker.” P. 123 All Whom I Have Loved by Aharon Appelfeld 10.15.18

Guild
Henna tattoo
Hotwire

Mermaid-“…watching the bare-breasted mermaids around the edge…” p. 242 Bad Boy by Peter Robinson 7.3.18

Mundane - “…for escaping from the trammels of our mundane life…” p.60 Death in Midsummer and Other Stories by Yukio Mishima 7.5.18

Myriad “…the myriad stars above and the grains of sand under…” p. 100 Bad Boy by Peter Robinson

Operator assisted phone call - “I don’t care what it costs to put a call through to France, you cow, just put me through.” “Oh stop ma’aming me before you choke on it and put the call through to the major…” p. 54 The Alice Networkby Kate Quinn 8.12.18

Ostrich “…executing the same ostrich maneuver that had served him so well minutes before in the French House.”p. 71 Mind The Doors: Long Short Stories by Zinovy Zinik 7.12.18

Outhouse - “The book in the outhouse is signed by the author.” P. 196The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.5.18

Pay phone (will accept phone booth if they use the phone) in England called a call box “I’m speaking from a call-box.” P. 51 Miss Silver Intervenesby Patricia Wentworth 7.10.18

Pickled herring

Pinto “…Justine appeared in a banged up white Pinto.” P. 138 Kinsey and Me: Storiese by Sue Grafton 7.18.18

√Pistachio-–“nibbling soft runny Brie or orange and pistachio caribou pate…” p. 53 The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.5.18

Pompous - Alexis Karinin, the coldly pompous bureaucrat…” p.15 Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie 8.19.18

Qwerty - “I started with the easiest one. Qwerty.” P. 270 The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.5.18

Rebar

Recluse - “But why kill the recluse?” p. 191 The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.5.18

Sardonic “…thinking his own sardonic thoughts.” P. 31 Miss Silver Intervenesby Patricia Wentworth 7.10.18

Sawhorse=“pretend a mop handle propped on a sawhorse was an antiaircraft gun.” P. 21 When Books Went to War: The Stories that Helped Us Win World War II by Molly Manning 8.8.18

Shanty-“…sat huddled in the corner of a Boston shanty…” p 17 Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman by Teresa Warfield 7.20.18

Smorgasbord “He opened the door just long enough to fling the dead fly outside without inviting any of its cousins to the Kevin Tait smorgasbord.” P. 57Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

Someone donates blood

Spiral staircase“Jack and I drifted up the spiral stairs together” p. 171 – Kinsey and Me: Stories by Sue Grafton 7.18.18

Station wagon “…where he had left his battered old Renault station wagon.” P. 57 The English Spy by Daniel Silva 10.4.18

Straight (poker hand)
String Cheese

Tomato juice - Tomato juice – “Lieberman moved his tomato juice aside….” P. 58 The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin 11.28.18

Trance - – “As if she were in a trance, Tracey served up the eggs and bacon.” P 166Bad Boy by Peter Robinson 7.3.18

Transcendental

Whitewash-“…also see the flagstone roofs and the whitewashed façade of the Rose and Crown beside…” p. 139 Bad Boy by Peter Robinson 7.3.18

message 3: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (last edited Oct 21, 2019 05:25PM) (new)

Semi-annual Hard Scavenger Hunt

The List
DONE!

Found
(view spoiler)
Ararat (Ben Walker, #1) by Christopher Golden Wickedly They Come (The Wickedly, #1) by Cathrina Constantine Conceal (The Barker Triplets, #3) by Juliana Stone Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1) by T.R. Ragan Craving (Steel Brothers Saga, #1) by Helen Hardt A Curse of the Heart by Adele Clee Through the Smoke by Brenda Novak Snapped (Snapped #1) by Ketley Allison I Was a Teenage Fairy by Francesca Lia Block One Door Away from Heaven by Dean Koontz Snow White Lies by Sarah J. Pepper A Secret Rage by Charlaine Harris Fool by Christopher Moore The Lady and the Mountain Fire (Mountain Dreams, #3) by Misty M. Beller Ghost Story by Peter Straub Halfway Dead (Halfway Witchy, #1) by Terry Maggert The Eight (The Eight #1) by Katherine Neville Rattling the Heat in Deadwood (Deadwood, #8) by Ann Charles The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #2) by Angie Fox Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1) by Charlaine Harris The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides Another Man's Treasure (Palmyrton Estate Sale Mystery, #1) by S.W. Hubbard Fragile Things Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks The Salmon of Doubt (Dirk Gently, #3) by Douglas Adams

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah So I'm curious- because I've been wanting to try one of these scavenger hunts for awhile... for those of you that read print books, how do you remember what words you are looking for? Do you write a list and keep it in your book? Do you just have a great memory? Ebooks are easy because you can just search it, but print and audio I'm thinking not so much.

message 5: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 1967 comments Sarah wrote: "So I'm curious- because I've been wanting to try one of these scavenger hunts for awhile... for those of you that read print books, how do you remember what words you are looking for? Do you write ..."

I use index cards which I keep by my reading chair. I browse the cards before starting each book.

message 6: by Barbara ★ (last edited Jan 05, 2019 07:25AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 1967 comments Bi-Annual Hard Scavenger Hunt II
Duration: July 1 - December 31, 2018

READ: 37/40

Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2) by Jennifer Ashley Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage - Jennifer Ashley 7/1
Ostrich - the ostrich feathers were already soaked, p40

Little Tiny Teeth (Gideon Oliver, #14) by Aaron Elkins Little Tiny Teeth - Aaron Elkins 7/1
Boiled - I always thought you boiled the bodies, p247
Trance - he was like a man in a trance, p14

Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1) by Diane Mott Davidson Catering to Nobody - Diane Mott Davidson 7/4
Station Wagon - that old station wagon of ours, p202

The Once and Future Duchess (Royal Entourage, #4) by Sophia Nash The Once and Future Duchess - Sophia Nash 7/6
Sardonic - yes, he began sardonically, p255

The Darkest Warrior (Lords of the Underworld, #14) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Warrior - Gena Showalter 7/7
Pistachio - William, your's is pistachio, p270

No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3) by Sarah MacLean No Good Duke Goes Unpunished - Sarah MacLean 7/9
Myriad - the myriad of scars on his chest, p182

The Earl of Brass (The Ingenious Mechanical Devices #1) by Kara Jorgensen The Earl of Brass - Kara Jorgensen 7/10
Charlatan - not to givbe their money to a charlatan, p283

Unlucky by Jana Deleon Unlucky - Jana DeLeon 7/12
Straight - to pull an inside straight with the cards he held, p28
Pompous - pompous ass, p203

Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4) by Donna Andrews Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon - Donna Andrews 7/13
Cantilever - had managed to cantilever his entire body, p43
Mermaid - need to glue the mermaid's green tentacles back on, p29

Shady Cross by James Hankins Shady Cross - James Hankins 7/16
Pay Phone - no pay phone address, p95

Nevermoor The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1) by Jessica Townsend Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow - Jessica Townsend 7/16
Fedora - wearing a grey fedora, p176
Galoshes - he hadn't brought any galoshes, p184
Guild - council and guilds has granted us permission, p235

The Real Deal by Lucy Monroe The Real Deal - Lucy Monroe 7/20
Enigmatic - his expression enigmatic, p141
Henna Tattoo - one woman had henna tattoos on her hands, p238
Mundane - remember anything mundane like that, p215
Recluse - recluse genius to find household help, p32

Magic Stars (Kate Daniels, #8.5, Grey Wolf, #1) by Ilona Andrews Magic Stars - Ilona Andrews 7/22
Rebar - bounced from some rebar, p37

Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1) by Dianne Sylvan Queen of Shadows - Dianne Sylvan 7/24
Battering Ram - break in was with a battering ram, p256

Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1) by J.A. Konrath Whiskey Sour - J.A. Konrath 7/25
Chinos - clad in loose-fitting chinos, p137

Courting Darkness (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #10) by Yasmine Galenorn Courting Darkness - Yasmine Galenorn 7/27
Outhouse - I quickly used the rough outhouse, p127

The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan The Astonishing Color of After - Emily X.R. Pan 7/28
String Cheese - a piece of string cheese, p27

Memory Zero (Spook Squad, #1) by Keri Arthur Memory Zero - Keri Arthur 7/29
Hotwire - never had his aptitude for hot wiring, p32

Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11) by Jennifer Estep Poison Promise - Jennifer Estep 7/31
Tomato Juice - the tomato juice stained his fangs, p139

A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Bouchet A Promise of Fire - Amanda Bouchet 8/3
Whitewash - lined with whitewash homes, p368

The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2) by Jasper Fforde The Fourth Bear - Jasper Fforde 8/4
Bas-relief - a 28-foot long marble bas-relief, p75
Spiral staircase - Jack climbed the spiral staircase, p103

Dark Bites (Dark-Hunter #22.5; Hellchaser, #0.5; Dream-Hunter, #0.5; Were-Hunter, #3.5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Bites - Sherrilyn Kenyon 8/5
Pinto - he raced his pinto, p503

Bleeding Heart by Martha Powers Bleeding Heart - Martha Powers 8/14
Sawhorse - propped upside down on the sawhorse, p78

Earth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1) by Kylie Chan Earth to Hell - Kylie Chan 8/19
Cloisonné - holding a black and silver cloisonne casket, p59
Someone donates blood - they only wanted platelets; they returned the plasma to the donor, p212

Sweet Revenge (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, Book 14) by Diane Mott Davidson Sweet Revenge - Diane Mott Davidson 9/30
Operator assisted phone call - the information operator connected me with the main number, p195

Eyes Of Fire by Heather Graham Pozzessere Eyes of Fire - Heather Graham 10/14
Smorgasbord - she would look like a smorgasbord, p331

The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons 11/2
Transcendental - transcendentally new, p209

Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse Trail of Lightning - Rebecca Roanhorse 11/28
Shanty - the shanty town of trailers, p24

Canadian Goose
Pickled herring
Qwerty

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Barbara ★ wrote: "Sarah wrote: "So I'm curious- because I've been wanting to try one of these scavenger hunts for awhile... for those of you that read print books, how do you remember what words you are looking for?..."

That's a great idea- thanks!

message 8: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (last edited Jun 26, 2018 06:30PM) (new)

Sarah wrote: "So I'm curious- because I've been wanting to try one of these scavenger hunts for awhile... for those of you that read print books, how do you remember what words you are looking for? "
I write them in a notebook (steno pad, actually). Writing things down helps me remember things. I cross off words as I find them, and if I can't get to my computer to make the update I can write down the page number and part of the sentence (or line number). I re-write the list at least one time during the time frame to 'clean it up' and remove the clutter of the crossed off words.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Deb wrote: "Sarah wrote: "So I'm curious- because I've been wanting to try one of these scavenger hunts for awhile... for those of you that read print books, how do you remember what words you are looking for?..."

Also an excellent idea! I have always written things out in hand to help me remember. I'm thinking maybe I could make myself a bookmark or something of the list?

One other question- for the ones that say things like: someone donates blood or operator assisted phone call, that's when it would be the character doing the action? Not those exact words being printed on the page, right?

message 10: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Sarah wrote: "One other question- for the ones that say things like: someone donates blood or operator assisted phone call, that's when it would be the character doing the action? Not those exact words being printed on the page, right? ..."

You are correct - it's the activity/action I'm looking for with those.

message 11: by Debbie (last edited Nov 04, 2018 05:01AM) (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 1021 comments The List

29/40

Bas-relief The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p18 heavy plaster bas-relief flourishes
Battering Ram The Cat Who Tailed a Thief by Lilian Jackson Braun 7/31/18..chap18 the surge hit the bridge like a battering ram
Boiled The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p370 hard boiled eggs
Canadian Goose - Dogwood Hill by Sherryl Woods 8/9/18..p9 a flock of unhappy Canadian Geese
Cantilever The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan 7/18/18..chap4 up the 102 cantilevered steps
Charlatan The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p372 Gabe is a charlatan
Chinos Out to Canaan by Jan Karon p213 that great big man in work boots and chinos
Cloisonné
Enigmatic The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p360 Lizzie's answering smile was enigmatic
Fedora .All Fudged Up by Nancy CoCo 8/21/18..p74 the fedora that sat on his head
Galoshes
Guild The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p106 I used to know her from the altar guild
Henna tattoo
Hotwire
Mermaid The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p28 we'll go down to Mermaid Beach
Mundane The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan 7/18/18..chap16 whether mandane or salacious
Myriad The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan 7/18/18..chap5 amid the myriad cotillions
Operator assisted phone call
Ostrich The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan 7/18/18..chap15 vibrant ostrich plume
Outhouse Carnegie's Maid by Marie Benedict ..chap35 the closest outhouse was a quarter mile away
Pay phone The Summer I Met Jack by Michelle Gable 54% standing at the pay phone
Pickled herring Dead to the Last Drop by Cleo Coyle..chap5 Oslo creamed and pickled herring
Pinto The High Season by Judy Blundell 9/21/18..chap48 the car felt as inflammatory as a Pinto
Pistachio The High Season by Judy Blundell..chap8 Penny opened a bag of pistachios
Pompous Dead to the Last Drop by Cleo Coyle..chap18 reality check in pompous speeches
Qwerty
Rebar
Recluse Halloween Hijinks by Kathi Daley 10/11/18..p82 he chose to live as a recluse
Sardonic Rueful Death by Susan Wittig Albert,,chap10 his scared mouth seemed bitterly sardonic
Sawhorse Out to Canaan by Jan Karon 9/3/18..p306 It would be all sawdust and sawhorses
Shanty The Summer I Met Jack by Michelle Gable 56% spies were even after the fish shanty
Smorgasbord Out to Canaan by Jan Karon p40 the etymological smorgasbord
Someone donates blood
Spiral staircase The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p381 wooden stairs that spiraled up
Station wagon The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p358 a battered blue VW station wagon
Straight (poker hand) .
String Cheese
Tomato juice Flamingo Diner by Sherryl Woods 9/29/18 ..chap 23 a glass of tomato juice
Trance Evil in Carnations by Kate Collins..chap5 some kind of hypnotic trance
Transcendental
Whitewash The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews 7/3/18..p118 a U shaped whitewashed stucco cottage
Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8) by Kate Collins The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews The Cat Who Tailed a Thief (Cat Who... #19) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Summer I Met Jack by Michelle Gable Dogwood Hill (Chesapeake Shores, #12) by Sherryl Woods Dead to the Last Drop (Coffeehouse Mystery, #15) by Cleo Coyle All Fudged Up (Candy-Coated, #1) by Nancy CoCo Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4) by Jan Karon Carnegie's Maid by Marie Benedict The High Season by Judy Blundell Halloween Hijinks (Zoe Donovan Mystery #1) by Kathi Daley Flamingo Diner by Sherryl Woods Rueful Death (China Bayles, #5) by Susan Wittig Albert

message 12: by Brigia (last edited Sep 14, 2018 08:47AM) (new)

Brigia | 105 comments Semi-Annual Hard Scavenger Hunt II
Completed: 27/41

Bas-relief: The Poppy War - 9/9
"Its likeness had been carved in stone, a bas-relief thrice her size." p. 498
Battering Ram: Iron and Magic (8/23)
"Bucky tore into the armored soldiers like a battering ram..." loc. 5490
Boiled: The Opportunist (7/14)
"'Breakfast,' Caleb says, tossing me a can of boiled peanuts." p. 230
Cantilever
Charlatan: The Drawing of the Three (8/17)
"Some had been clever charlatans..." p. 458
Chinos
Cloisonné
Enigmatic: A Discovery of Witches (7/8)
"It was only his desire to find Ashmole 782 that made him linger with the enigmatic Diana Bishop." p. 29
Fedora: Sins & Needles (7/28)
"I rounded out the outfit with a black fedora." p. 91
Galoshes
Guild
Henna tattoo: Without Merit (7/1)
(context: MC's father has just discovered her new tattoo) "It's...like henna." loc. 3930
Hotwire
Mermaid: A Discovery of Witches (7/8)
"Over the next couple of hours, we greeted a steady stream of fairy princesses, pirates...mermaids..." p. 579
Mundane: A Discovery of Witches (7/8)
"Without vision, my mundane history skills would have to be put to work." p. 327
Myriad: The Necromancer's Dance (7/14)
"The casino was on this floor, along with .... private rooms for a myriad of purposes..." loc. 2704
Operator assisted phone call: The Opportunist (7/14)
"...he hit 911. When the female operator answered..." p. 297
Ostrich: Iron and Magic (8/23)
"...upright vertebrates, ostriches, kangaroos, and so on..." loc. 3211
Outhouse: The Poppy War - 9/9
"That's the outhouse, kid." p. 39
Pay phone: I Hunt Killers (7/18)
"Nine-one-one call from a pay phone outside town." p. 179
Pickled herring
Pinto
Pistachio
Pompous: The Necromancer's Dance (7/14)
"The sergeant asked...pompous attitude rolling off him in waves." loc. 1157
Qwerty
Rebar: Iron and Magic (8/23)
"...chunks of old concrete, some with rebar still sticking out..." loc. 4293
Recluse: The Necromancer's Dance (7/14)
"...the Master was rumored to be over a thousand years old and was a near recluse..." loc. 167
Sardonic: Rosemary and Rue (7/17)
"The woman behind me smiled sardonically..." loc. 4119
Sawhorse: The Drawing of the Three (8/17)
"...planks set across sawhorses for a bar..." p. 150
Shanty
Smorgasbord: The Opportunist (7/14)
"The place was a smorgasbord of twenties paraphernalia." p. 68
Someone donates blood: The Necromancer's Dance (7/14)
"Bridgerton has an honor guard and blood donors..." loc. 1945
Spiral staircase: Witchbane - 9/14
"...an iron spiral staircase wound up to the second floor." loc. 1802
Station wagon: I Hunt Killers (7/18)
"So he'd parked down the bock to watch the cranky old station wagon pull into the parking lot." p. 60
Straight (poker hand): It Ends with Us (7/20)
"I lay down my straight flush and reach forward for all the poker chips..." p. 301
String Cheese: The Opportunist (7/14)
"...she's already wrapped around him like string cheese." p. 146
Tomato juice
Trance: Consorting with Dragons (7/11)
"It did not occur to him to question this decision..., but neither was he in a trance." loc. 287
Transcendental
Whitewash: Sins & Needles (7/28)
"...white-washed walls above peeling-paint baseboards..." p. 97

message 13: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 11, 2019 01:53PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Semi-Annual Scavenger Hunt II
Begins: 01July18 / Ends: 31Dec18

40 / 40 words found
20 books read

The List
Bas-relief - The Widow Clicquot ✔ - 31Aug18 - pg 236 - "…with bas-reliefs on …"

Battering Ram - The Cider House Rules ✔ - 25Sep18 - pg 104 - "…using it as a battering ram."

Boiled - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 740 - "…skin on boiled milk."

Canadian Goose - The Cruelest Month ✔ – 09Aug18 - pg 251 - "…they're Canada geese

Cantilever - Crazy Rich Asians ✔ – 14Aug18 - pg 397 - "…were cantilevered terraces…"

Charlatan - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 295 - "He's a charlatan."

Chinos - Ordinary Grace ✔ - 29Aug18 - pg 120 - "…shirt and chinos and …"

Cloisonné - Wicked ✔ - 18June19 - pg 67 - "…a lot of cloisonne bangles…"

EnigmaticThe Professor and the Madman ✔ – 17July18 - pg ix - "…meet an enigmatic figure…"

Fedora - The Time in Between ✔ – 04Aug18 - pg 170 - "…winter fedora, a fine hat…"

Galoshes - Up the Down Staircase ✔ – 18Aug18 - pg 197 - "LOST: one galosha, black…"

Guild - The Diva Serves High Tea ✔ – 07Aug18 - pg 26 - "…upcoming Guild of …"

Henna tattoo - The Constant Princess ✔ - 27Nov18 - pg 20 - "…works on our hands, painting delicate patterns of henna."

Hotwire - The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared ✔ - 12Nov18 - pg 23 - "…had of course hot-wired it."

Mermaid - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 7 - "…and the Feejee Mermaid."

Mundane - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 814 - "…to more mundane affairs."

Myriad - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 818 - "…infested by myriad insects;…"

Operator assisted phone call - The Best of Friends ✔ – 23July18 - pg 169 - "…book a call through the central operator,…"

Ostrich - My Cousin Rachel ✔ – 10July18 - pg 240 - "…like an ostrich in the sand."

Outhouse - Someone Knows My Name ✔ – 19July18 - pg 224 - "…shut myself into the outhouse."

Pay phone - The Best of Friends ✔ – 23July18 - pg 66 - "…called Linda from a pay phone."

Pickled herring - The Cat Who Saw Red ✔ - 30Nov18 - pg 131 - "…livers and pickled herring."

Pinto - Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon ✔ - 20Sep18 - pg 445 - "…Ford Pinto off the…"

Pistachio - The Best of Friends ✔ – 23July18 - pg 87 - "…cheese, pistachios, chocolate…"

Pompous - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 58 - "…relaxed even pompous elitists …"

Qwerty - Eats, Shoots & Leaves ✔ - 31Dec18 - pg 130 - "…this supreme QWERTY keyboard…"

Rebar - Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon ✔ - 20Sep18 - pg 396 - "…length of steel rebar used …"

Recluse - My Cousin Rachel ✔ – 10July18 - pg 180 - "…a recluse and spend all…"

Sardonic - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 688 - "…been a sardonic laugh."

Sawhorse - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 289 - "…workbenches and sawhorses."

Shanty - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 136 - "…squatter's shanties were knocked…"

Smorgasbord - The Cat Who Saw Red ✔ - 30Nov18 - pg 100 - "…a smorgasbord, salad bar…"

Someone donates blood - Heat Lightning ✔ – 26July18 - pg 282 - "I'll give some blood."

Spiral staircase - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 290 - "…a tightly spiraling stone staircase, …"

Station wagon - The Baileys Harbor Bird and Booyah Club ✔ – 31July18 - pg 19 -"…Helen's old station wagon."

Straight (poker hand) - allowed to delete one since I noticed that there were 41 items in the list

String Cheese - The Brilliant Light of Amber Sunrise ✔ - 06July19 - pg 66 - "…two packets of string cheese."

Tomato juice - The Baileys Harbor Bird and Booyah Club ✔ – 31July18 - pg 31 - "…with tomato juice, but …"

Trance - Left Neglected ✔ – 02July18 - pg 194 - "…out of his trance, saving…"

Transcendental - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 255 - "…love their transcendental tripe."

Whitewash - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 734 - "…on the whitewashed walls."

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Oct 10, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Sarah Semi-Annual Scavenger Hunt II
Begins: July 2018 / Ends: Dec 2018

27/41 words found

The List
Bas-relief - Autonomous by Annalee Newitz pg 149, 4th paragraph: "...remolding his skull to create an odd bas-relief phrenology map.."
Battering Ram - Authority by Jeff VanderMeer, pg 15 “...taken a seat behind the battering ram of a desk...”
Boiled - Strange Weather by Joe Hill, pg 230, "...the smoke boiled and rushed..."
Cantilever - Authority by Jeff VanderMeer, pg 51 “The doors had been cantilevered open...”
Charlatan - Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor pg 76: "Erik women and girls are the craftiest charlatans."
Chinos - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King, pg 660 "... a lanky man in chinos..."
Cloisonné
Enigmatic - Authority by Jeff VanderMeer, pg 211 “...an enigmatic smile...”
Fedora - Strange Weather by Joe Hill pg 67 "...a fedora perched on her head."
Galoshes - Authority by Jeff VanderMeer, pg 322 “...and the galoshes were a bit too big...”
Guild
Henna tattoo - Null States by Malka Ann Older, pg ? “Her hands are hennaed with fading flowers and swirls....”
Hotwire - State of Fear by Michael Crichton, pg 32 "Called Hotfire or Hotwire or something."
Mermaid - Strange Weather by Joe Hill pg 178, "It was a Little Mermaid backpack..."
Mundane - Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Four by Brian K. Vaughan pg. 223, last panel: "That is the most mundane "revelation" of all time."
Myriad - Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer pg 179, "The ways were myriad and I was precise."
Operator assisted phone call - The Fated Sky by Mary Robinette Kowal, pg ?, "I toggled the line to let the operator know I was there and waited until her voice broke the static. British this time. 'What number, please?'"
Ostrich
Outhouse
Pay phone - The Body by Stephen King, audio- 5:32:15 "used a nickel in the pay phone to call Mrs. McGinn"
Pickled herring
Pinto
Pistachio - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King, pg 39 "...which were covered with melting pistachio."
Pompous - Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor pg 97: "What a pompous, discriminating..."
Qwerty
Rebar
Recluse - The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel - (audio) Chapter 6: "compared him to Boo Radley, the recluse in To Kill A Mockingbird."
Sardonic - Autonomous by Annalee Newitz - pg 213, 2nd para.: "...Jack commented sardonically."
Sawhorse - Strange Weather by Joe Hill, pg 147, "...front of one of the sawhorses..."
Shanty - Autonomous by Annalee Newitz - pg 246, last paragraph: "Many of these were little more than improvised tent shanties..."
Smorgasbord - The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel - audio: 8:15, "Smorgasbord!"
Someone donates blood
Spiral staircase - Death's End by Liu Cixin - pg 139, 2nd paragraph: "They descended a spiraling staircase..."
Station wagon - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King, pg. 34 "The station wagon began to pucker."
Straight (poker hand)
String Cheese
Tomato juice
Trance - Strange Weather by Joe Hill pg 181, "...as if in a trance..."
Transcendental
Whitewash - Autonomous by Annalee Newitz pg. 153, 1st line: "...it's walls recently whitewashed with a quick drying fluid..."

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Okay I have another question... I was reading a graphic novel today, and one of the pictures contains a Pay phone, and a character uses the Pay phone, but the word isn’t there. Could I count that as the Pay phone prompt? No worries if not, just thought I’d ask!

message 16: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Sarah wrote: "Okay I have another question... I was reading a graphic novel today, and one of the pictures contains a Pay phone, and a character uses the Pay phone, but the word isn’t there. Could I count that a..."

Sorry, it must be on the cover or actually mentioned inside the book - particularly when it comes to graphic novels.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Deb wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Okay I have another question... I was reading a graphic novel today, and one of the pictures contains a Pay phone, and a character uses the Pay phone, but the word isn’t there. Could ..."

Sounds good- thanks!

message 18: by Celia (last edited Dec 22, 2018 08:33AM) (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 720 comments 21/40 words
11 books

Bas-relief
Battering Ram “And then, one hot summer morning, battering rams smashed down the city walls.” p.201 Eternal Life by Dara Horn 8/9
Boiled “Will boiled the mystery down…” p.19 Alliance (The Paladin Prophecy, #2) by Mark Frost 8/17
Canadian Goose “A flock of Canada geese flew over the pond in a honking V.” p.118 A Healing Justice by Kristin von Kreisler
Cantilever
Charlatan
Chinos “ … well-pressed button-down, chinos, and…” p.134 Mr. & Mrs. American Pie by Juliet McDaniel 12/15
Cloisonné
Enigmatic “... about his enigmatic coach…” p.9 Alliance (The Paladin Prophecy, #2) by Mark Frost 8/17
Fedora
Galoshes
Guild “‘Do you represent the Lollipop Guild or is this a visitation from the local chapter of my fan club?’” p.68 Rogue (The Paladin Prophecy, #3) by Mark Frost 8/18
Henna tattoo
Hotwire
Mermaid “The silence of Fisher People and waxy mermaids.” p.190 The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy 8/26
Mundane “... appeared to be mundane paperwork…” p.109 Alliance (The Paladin Prophecy, #2) by Mark Frost 8/17
Myriad “ … outlining the myriad ways in which women were denied rights…” p. 110 Remember the Ladies Celebrating Those Who Fought for Freedom at the Ballot Box by Angela P. Dodson 11/4
Operator assisted phone call “‘Pick up any phone on campus and the operator instantly connects the call.’” p.141 The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) by Mark Frost 8/13
Ostrich “‘Ostrich,’ said her husband.” p.126 Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie 9/3
Outhouse “ … indoor plumbing and not an outhouse…” p.40 The Hope Jar (The Prayer Jars #1) by Wanda E. Brunstetter 8/29
Pay phone (will accept phone booth if they use the phone)
Pickled herring
Pinto
Pistachio “... if the nuts here are as big as these petunias, I could live off a single pistachio for a week.” p.124 Rogue (The Paladin Prophecy, #3) by Mark Frost
Pompous “Everything he said sounded pompous, artificial.” p.69 Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie 9/3
Qwerty
Rebar “... glass, metal framing, even some rebar.” p.57 Alliance (The Paladin Prophecy, #2) by Mark Frost 8/17
Recluse
Sardonic “... with the same cocky, sardonic smile…” p.286 The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) by Mark Frost 8/13
Sawhorse
Shanty “Shanty tents and clay ahéres greet us…” p.195 Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi 7/25
Smorgasbord “There was something for everyone here at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord.” p.183 The Hope Jar (The Prayer Jars #1) by Wanda E. Brunstetter 8/29
Someone donates blood
Spiral staircase “... not toward the spiral staircase but away…” p.124 Alliance (The Paladin Prophecy, #2) by Mark Frost 8/17
Station wagon “... as Dad’s battered Volvo station wagon rolled to a stop…” p.49 The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) by Mark Frost 8/13
Straight (poker hand)
String Cheese
Tomato juice
Trance “‘Like I went into some kind of trance…’” p.65 The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) by Mark Frost 8/13
Transcendental
Whitewash

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Question .... for Canadian Goose ... would you take
"... rustle like the wings of many geese flying high."

Clearly not domestic geese, but migratory (i.e. Canadian) geese.

It's early in the game and I can always keep searching, but saw this reference and wondered ...

message 20: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Question .... for Canadian Goose ... would you take
"... rustle like the wings of many geese flying high."

Clearly not domestic geese, but migratory (i.e. Canadian) geese.

It's early in the game..."

I'm definitely looking for Canadian's for this one.

message 21: by Denise (last edited Jul 19, 2018 06:00AM) (new)

Denise | 675 comments Sarah wrote: "So I'm curious- because I've been wanting to try one of these scavenger hunts for awhile... for those of you that read print books, how do you remember what words you are looking for? Do you write ..."

I don't know if anyone has given you this answer so excuse me if its a repeat:

For print books I sometimes use books.google.com and most of the books on there are searchable for words. It will have a small search box on the left, if so. However, it doesn't always give you the page number or catch every word but you can at least get a list of words you know will be in the book. Also, Amazon sometimes lets you search a book (go to INSIDE THE BOOK over the displayed book cover and it allows you to search words, sometimes just giving the page number. Still, I use the old-fashioned method because its more enjoyable to come across the word while reading and use the electronic system as a check:)

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Denise wrote: "Sarah wrote: "So I'm curious- because I've been wanting to try one of these scavenger hunts for awhile... for those of you that read print books, how do you remember what words you are looking for?..."

Nope I haven't heard that yet! Thanks for the tip. I'm not as familiar with google books so I'll have to check it out.

message 23: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 720 comments does it have to actually say the words "operator assisted phone call?"

message 24: by Denise (last edited Aug 12, 2018 02:34AM) (new)

Denise | 675 comments great question Celia! I have the following for operator assisted phone call: The year is 1947: “I don’t care what it costs to put a call through to France, you cow, just put me through.” “Oh stop ma’aming me before you choke on it and put the call through to the major…” p. 54 The Alice Networkby Kate Quinn 8.12.18

this is an operator assisted call without those exact words.

message 25: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Celia wrote: "does it have to actually say the words "operator assisted phone call?""

No, it doesn't need to be the exact words. As long as a switchboard operator is involved in the making of the phone call. Examples would be in the making of a collect call, or back many decades ago when you had to go through an operator to make any call.

It would not include the switchboard for a company or going through a secretary/personal assistant to reach your party.

message 26: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 720 comments Deb wrote: "Celia wrote: "does it have to actually say the words "operator assisted phone call?""

No, it doesn't need to be the exact words. As long as a switchboard operator is involved in the making of the ..."

Thank you

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah SO I found this:

“Her hands are hennaed with fading flowers and swirls, at least a week old by Roz’s estimation, so from before the assassination.”

Can I use that for henna tattoo?

message 28: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Sarah wrote: "SO I found this:

“Her hands are hennaed with fading flowers and swirls, at least a week old by Roz’s estimation, so from before the assassination.”

Can I use that for henna tattoo?"

Absolutely! good find!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Thanks!

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Just realized there are 41 words/phrases on this list, not 40.

message 31: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Just realized there are 41 words/phrases on this list, not 40."

YAY! I was wondering who would notice first! Please feel free to remove any word from the list as a 'freebie'. :-)

message 32: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 720 comments Will you accept "Canada geese" instead of "Canadian?"

message 33: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Celia wrote: "Will you accept "Canada geese" instead of "Canadian?""

Absolutely!

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise | 675 comments Finished -THANK YOU for another great challenge

Thank you!
July 1 - December 31 2018
The List

30/40 found

Bas-relief

Battering Ram - “…the AFOs used a battering ram on the door…” p. 17 Bad Boy by Peter Robinson 7.3.18

Boiled-“…the kettle must have boiled very fast…” p. 51 Bad Boy by Peter Robin 7.3.18

Cantilever “…cantilevered himself up to the seat top.” P. 78 Kinsey and Me: Stories by Sue Graft 7.18.18

Charlatan - “He gives it away to charlatans an false healers.” P.. 164 Solace for a Sinner by Caroline Roe 9.4.18

Chinos-“He was wearing chinos and a plain white T-shhotirt.” P. 38 KKinsey and Me: Stories by Sue Grafton 7.18.18

Cloisonne - “…crimson asters arranged in a cloisonné vase.” P.155 Death in Midsummer and Other Stories by Yukio Mishima 7.5.18

Enigmatic-“Queenie gave her an enigmatic little squint.” P. 56 Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein 7.8.18

Fedora-“Russian is the most beautiful language in the world,” cut in a man with a fedora hat…” p. 177 Mind The Doors: Long Short Stories by Zinovy Zinik 7.12.18

Galoshes –“She was wearing rural galoshes that made her legs look thicker.” P. 123 All Whom I Have Loved by Aharon Appelfeld 10.15.18

Guild
Henna tattoo
Hotwire

Mermaid-“…watching the bare-breasted mermaids around the edge…” p. 242 Bad Boy by Peter Robinson 7.3.18

Mundane - “…for escaping from the trammels of our mundane life…” p.60 Death in Midsummer and Other Stories by Yukio Mishima 7.5.18

Myriad “…the myriad stars above and the grains of sand under…” p. 100 Bad Boy by Peter Robinson

Operator assisted phone call - “I don’t care what it costs to put a call through to France, you cow, just put me through.” “Oh stop ma’aming me before you choke on it and put the call through to the major…” p. 54 The Alice Networkby Kate Quinn 8.12.18

Ostrich “…executing the same ostrich maneuver that had served him so well minutes before in the French House.”p. 71 Mind The Doors: Long Short Stories by Zinovy Zinik 7.12.18

Outhouse - “The book in the outhouse is signed by the author.” P. 196The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.5.18

Pay phone (will accept phone booth if they use the phone) in England called a call box “I’m speaking from a call-box.” P. 51 Miss Silver Intervenesby Patricia Wentworth 7.10.18

Pickled herring

Pinto “…Justine appeared in a banged up white Pinto.” P. 138 Kinsey and Me: Storiese by Sue Grafton 7.18.18

√Pistachio-–“nibbling soft runny Brie or orange and pistachio caribou pate…” p. 53 The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.5.18

Pompous - Alexis Karinin, the coldly pompous bureaucrat…” p.15 Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie 8.19.18

Qwerty - “I started with the easiest one. Qwerty.” P. 270 The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.5.18

Rebar

Recluse - “But why kill the recluse?” p. 191 The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.5.18

Sardonic “…thinking his own sardonic thoughts.” P. 31 Miss Silver Intervenesby Patricia Wentworth 7.10.18

Sawhorse=“pretend a mop handle propped on a sawhorse was an antiaircraft gun.” P. 21 When Books Went to War: The Stories that Helped Us Win World War II by Molly Manning 8.8.18

Shanty-“…sat huddled in the corner of a Boston shanty…” p 17 Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman by Teresa Warfield 7.20.18

Smorgasbord “He opened the door just long enough to fling the dead fly outside without inviting any of its cousins to the Kevin Tait smorgasbord.” P. 57Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18

Someone donates blood

Spiral staircase“Jack and I drifted up the spiral stairs together” p. 171 – Kinsey and Me: Stories by Sue Grafton 7.18.18

Station wagon “…where he had left his battered old Renault station wagon.” P. 57 The English Spy by Daniel Silva 10.4.18

Straight (poker hand)
String Cheese

Tomato juice - Tomato juice – “Lieberman moved his tomato juice aside….” P. 58 The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin 11.28.18

Trance - – “As if she were in a trance, Tracey served up the eggs and bacon.” P 166Bad Boy by Peter Robinson 7.3.18

Transcendental

Whitewash-“…also see the flagstone roofs and the whitewashed façade of the Rose and Crown beside…” p. 139 Bad Boy by Peter Robinson 7.3.18

message 35: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Will you take "swamp gas" for "marsh gas"?

message 36: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Will you take "swamp gas" for "marsh gas"?"

Sure, I'll take that.

message 37: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Thanks, Deb ... one more item checked off!

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Update to Message 13 - I found "cloisonne" bringing my total to

39 / 41 found!

Calling this one done.

The two I was missing were
Straight (poker hand) -and-
String Cheese

message 39: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments OMG ... I just came across STRING CHEESE!
Will post as soon as I finish reading this book. So excited ....

message 40: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "OMG ... I just came across STRING CHEESE!
Will post as soon as I finish reading this book. So excited ...."

HAH! That happens to me far too often! Bwahahaha!

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Update message # 13 - Challenge completed - 06July19

Semi-Annual Scavenger Hunt II

40 / 40 words found
20 books read

The List
Bas-relief - The Widow Clicquot ✔ - 31Aug18 - pg 236 - "…with bas-reliefs on …"

Battering Ram - The Cider House Rules ✔ - 25Sep18 - pg 104 - "…using it as a battering ram."

Boiled - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 740 - "…skin on boiled milk."

Canadian Goose - The Cruelest Month ✔ – 09Aug18 - pg 251 - "…they're Canada geese

Cantilever - Crazy Rich Asians ✔ – 14Aug18 - pg 397 - "…were cantilevered terraces…"

Charlatan - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 295 - "He's a charlatan."

Chinos - Ordinary Grace ✔ - 29Aug18 - pg 120 - "…shirt and chinos and …"

Cloisonné - Wicked ✔ - 18June19 - pg 67 - "…a lot of cloisonne bangles…"

EnigmaticThe Professor and the Madman ✔ – 17July18 - pg ix - "…meet an enigmatic figure…"

Fedora - The Time in Between ✔ – 04Aug18 - pg 170 - "…winter fedora, a fine hat…"

Galoshes - Up the Down Staircase ✔ – 18Aug18 - pg 197 - "LOST: one galosha, black…"

Guild - The Diva Serves High Tea ✔ – 07Aug18 - pg 26 - "…upcoming Guild of …"

Henna tattoo - The Constant Princess ✔ - 27Nov18 - pg 20 - "…works on our hands, painting delicate patterns of henna."

Hotwire - The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared ✔ - 12Nov18 - pg 23 - "…had of course hot-wired it."

Mermaid - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 7 - "…and the Feejee Mermaid."

Mundane - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 814 - "…to more mundane affairs."

Myriad - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 818 - "…infested by myriad insects;…"

Operator assisted phone call - The Best of Friends ✔ – 23July18 - pg 169 - "…book a call through the central operator,…"

Ostrich - My Cousin Rachel ✔ – 10July18 - pg 240 - "…like an ostrich in the sand."

Outhouse - Someone Knows My Name ✔ – 19July18 - pg 224 - "…shut myself into the outhouse."

Pay phone - The Best of Friends ✔ – 23July18 - pg 66 - "…called Linda from a pay phone."

Pickled herring - The Cat Who Saw Red ✔ - 30Nov18 - pg 131 - "…livers and pickled herring."

Pinto - Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon ✔ - 20Sep18 - pg 445 - "…Ford Pinto off the…"

Pistachio - The Best of Friends ✔ – 23July18 - pg 87 - "…cheese, pistachios, chocolate…"

Pompous - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 58 - "…relaxed even pompous elitists …"

Qwerty - Eats, Shoots & Leaves ✔ - 31Dec18 - pg 130 - "…this supreme QWERTY keyboard…"

Rebar - Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon ✔ - 20Sep18 - pg 396 - "…length of steel rebar used …"

Recluse - My Cousin Rachel ✔ – 10July18 - pg 180 - "…a recluse and spend all…"

Sardonic - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 688 - "…been a sardonic laugh."

Sawhorse - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 289 - "…workbenches and sawhorses."

Shanty - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 136 - "…squatter's shanties were knocked…"

Smorgasbord - The Cat Who Saw Red ✔ - 30Nov18 - pg 100 - "…a smorgasbord, salad bar…"

Someone donates blood - Heat Lightning ✔ – 26July18 - pg 282 - "I'll give some blood."

Spiral staircase - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 290 - "…a tightly spiraling stone staircase, …"

Station wagon - The Baileys Harbor Bird and Booyah Club ✔ – 31July18 - pg 19 -"…Helen's old station wagon."

Straight (poker hand) - allowed to delete one since I noticed that there were 41 items in the list

String Cheese - The Brilliant Light of Amber Sunrise ✔ - 06July19 - pg 66 - "…two packets of string cheese."

Tomato juice - The Baileys Harbor Bird and Booyah Club ✔ – 31July18 - pg 31 - "…with tomato juice, but …"

Trance - Left Neglected ✔ – 02July18 - pg 194 - "…out of his trance, saving…"

Transcendental - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 255 - "…love their transcendental tripe."

Whitewash - The Fiery Cross ✔ – 22July18 - pg 734 - "…on the whitewashed walls."

message 42: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Update message # 13 - Challenge completed - 06July19

Semi-Annual Scavenger Hunt II

40 / 40 words found
20 books read
"

Dynamite!!!! Congratulations!

message 43: by Deb, Acquisitions Foreman (new)

Whew! Finally found qwerty! Challenge complete.