What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > I need a new series with a female lead. Romance not important. Prefer paranormal, urban fantasy, science fiction, crime procedurals, and mysteries (cozy and regular). Not historicals.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Jul 13, 2018 09:13AM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Ok y’all. I need help. I am currently caught up on all my series and I need a new one to start.

I prefer female leads. Romance is not important, nor is it a non-starter. I prefer Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Science Fiction, Crime Procedurals, and Mysteries (cozy and regular).

I do not care for historicals.

Here are the first books of some of the series that I am caught up on to use for examples of what I am looking for. I have already looked at the authors on this list. If there isn’t a book series listed by one of the following authors, then I couldn’t get into it.

The list is long but I’m trying to get recs for new series. Thanks in advance.

Bad Girls Don't Die (Bad Girls Don't Die, #1) by Katie Alender The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Wallflower (Halle Pumas, #1) by Dana Marie Bell A Potion to Die For (A Magic Potion Mystery, #1) by Heather Blake Bear-ever Yours (Polar Heat, #1) by Terry Bolryder In Deep Voodoo (Voodoo in Mojo, #1) by Stephanie Bond Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger Strange Neighbors (Strange Neighbors, #1) by Ashlyn Chase Oh. My. Gods. (Oh. My. Gods., #1) by Tera Lynn Childs Prom Dates from Hell (Maggie Quinn Girl Vs. Evil #1) by Rosemary Clement-Moore Southern Spirits (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1) by Angie Fox Written Off (Mysterious Detective #1) by E.J. Copperman Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1) by Larry Correia Dial C For Chihuahua (Barking Detective #1) by Waverly Curtis Louisiana Longshot (Miss Fortune Mystery, #1) by Jana Deleon Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch, #1) by Kimberly Frost Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #0.5) by Mira Grant Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1) by Mira Grant Parasite (Parasitology, #1) by Mira Grant Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires (Half-Moon Hollow, #1) by Molly Harper And One Last Thing ... by Molly Harper Sweet Tea and Sympathy (Southern Eclectic, #1) by Molly Harper How to Date Your Dragon (Mystic Bayou, #1) by Molly Harper The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Omens (Cainsville, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong City of the Lost (Rockton, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1) by Dana Marie Bell Finding Forgiveness (Poconos Pack, #1) by Dana Marie Bell Delicate Freakn' Flower (Freakn' Shifters, #1) by Eve Langlais Bunny and the Bear (Furry United Coalition, #1) by Eve Langlais Kodiak's Claim (Kodiak Point, #1) by Eve Langlais The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston The Unleashing (Call of Crows, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Hunting Season (The Gathering, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Hot and Badgered (Honey Badger Chronicles, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1) by Ilona Andrews Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1) by E.J. Copperman Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Murder's a Witch (Beechwood Harbor Magic Mysteries, #1) by Danielle Garrett The Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian We Are Legion We Are Bob (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians, #1) by Dianne Duvall Demon Hunting in Dixie (Demon Hunting, #1) by Lexi George The Anteater of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #1) by Betty Webb Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1) by Laura Morrigan Karma's A Bitch (A Pet Psychic Mystery, #1) by Shannon Esposito Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1) by Seanan McGuire Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Roads, #1) by Seanan McGuire Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris Murder al Dente (Southern Pasta Shop, #1) by Jennifer L. Hart Carrots (Shelby Nichols, #1) by Colleen Helme Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1) by Annie Knox No Ifs, Ands, or Bears About It (Grayslake, #1) by Celia Kyle Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie A Little Night Magic (Nodaway Falls, #1) by Lucy March Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1) by Lish McBride Undead (Undead, #1) by Kirsty McKay Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler Ready to Were (Shift Happens, #1) by Robyn Peterman How Hard Can It Be? (Handcuffs and Happily Ever Afters, #1) by Robyn Peterman Blindsighted (Grant County, #1) by Karin Slaughter My Life as a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie, #1) by Diana Rowland Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1) by Lili St. Crow Murder of a Small-Town Honey (A Scumble River Mystery, #1) by Denise Swanson Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1) by Kathy Reichs A Werewolf in Manhattan (Wild About You, #1) by Vicki Lewis Thompson Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #1) by Jana Deleon Kneading to Die (Pawsitively Organic Mysteries, #1) by Liz Mugavero Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Triptych (Will Trent, #1) by Karin Slaughter

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 30 comments You and I have quite a lot of books in common. I want to suggest something that doesn't seem to be on your radar: The Cloud Roads and the rest of the Books of the Raksura series.

The MC is not female but the author has switched gender dynamics. The Raksura are Matriarchal and run by Queens, so it just may still work for you on that front.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments I put in a request for The Cloud Roads from my library. Thanks.

message 4: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments Allison Brennan has several series, I'd start with Love Me to Death.

Carol Higgins Clark books are a kind of "grown up Nancy Drew" IMHO, but fun. The first is Decked.

I didn't see Carrie Vaughn on your list, don't know if I missed her, but she's worth a look. The first book - Kitty and the Midnight Hour.

Dakota Cassidy was another I didn't see, maybe missed? Many series, I'd start with the Accidentals - The Accidental Werewolf.

Dana Stabenow has the Kate Shugak mysteries, set in Alaska. A Cold Day for Murder.

Darynda Jones's Charley Davidson series is one of my favorites on this list. First Grave on the Right is the first book.

Have you ever tried Janet Evanovich? Her Stephanie Plum series is a riot! Lots of fun... One for the Money.

Jasper Fforde has the Thursday Next series. The Eyre Affair.

Want more? I'll keep adding if you like any of my suggestions, lol.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Dance of the Winnebagos Ok, I'm going to admit, I found this series strictly because I loved this title. But Ann Charles has several series that I've enjoyed.

Richard Lockridge and his wife Francis have a 30's and 40's set cozy series. The Norths Meet Murder is the first one. Sometimes one of their names appears alone, sometimes both names appear.

The Butcher of Beverly Hills despite the somewhat bombastic titles, these were cozies.

Fat White Vampire Blues (Since I saw the white trash zombie book, thought you might like this too.)

Dragon Precinct fantasy procedural this is an ensemble cast, but a half-elf female and her male human partner are the most common grouping

Hawk & Fisher another fantasy procedural, again a male/female partnership, except in this one they are both human and are married to each other.

message 6: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1429 comments Nalini Singh 'Guildhunter' & Psy/Changeling series. Both are lots of books in and starting to struggle IMO (but I still have hope they'll come back!), but the 8ish & 15ish bks respectively are great and on my never ending reading list.

Karen Lynch, Relentless

G Cockle, Archangel Down

TL Smith, Black

Bethany Adams, Soulbonded

Donna Augustine, Karma

Amy Green, Alpha Wolf

Kate Sparks, Bound

Jana Aston, Wrong

Charlotte Able, Rivers Recruit

Karen Swart, Hellhound Awakened

KA Tucker, the Casual Enchantment

Darrolyn Anderson, the Athena Effect

Christina Lauren, Sweet Filthy Boy

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36591 comments Mod
I added your preferred genres to the topic header. Feel free to update it using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Wicked Game vampire djs

Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye mysteries with pn elements

Size 12 Is Not Fat mystery

Calamity Jayne mystery

message 9: by Incog (new)

Incog Nito | 100 comments Becoming Alpha Series by Aileen Erin
Bewitched and Bewildered Series by Alanea Alder
The Accidentals Series by Dakota Cassidy
Lux Series by Jennifer L Armentrout
Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
Vampire Academy/Bloodlines Series by Richelle Mead
Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan
Grey Wolves Series by Quinn Loftis
Fate Forsaken (4 Books) by Shae Ford

All these series have a strong female lead in them though in some it is shared with a guy

Argeneau Series by Lynsay Sands
(27 books so far in this series, and the next expected in October, it is full of strong leads both female and male)

This should get you started and i will add more as i remember them

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments kelgar01 wrote: "Allison Brennan has several series, I'd start with Love Me to Death.

Carol Higgins Clark books are a kind of "grown up Nancy Drew" IMHO, but fun. The f..."

First of all, thank you and YES, I would like more. lol

I added Decked, A Cold Day for Murder and Love me to Death.

I read and abandoned a few of the other suggestions:

Kitty and the Midnight Hour - abandoned after book 4
Accidental Werewolf - abandoned after book 2
Charley Davidson - abandoned after book 7
Stephanie Plum - abandoned after book 5

The Eyre Affair is on my TBR list.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Dance of the Winnebagos Ok, I'm going to admit, I found this series strictly because I loved this title. But Ann Charles has several series that I've enjoyed.

[au..."

Added several to my list. Thank you

message 12: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Jun 27, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Jamie wrote: "Becoming Alpha Series by Aileen Erin
Bewitched and Bewildered Series by Alanea Alder
The Accidentals Series by Dakota Cassidy
Lux Series by Jennifer L Armentrout
Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
V..."

MJ wrote: "Nalini Singh 'Guildhunter' & Psy/Changeling series. Both are lots of books in and starting to struggle IMO (but I still have hope they'll come back!), but the 8ish & 15ish bks respectively are grea..."

Thank you

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 30 comments I hope you enjoy!!

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments There's only two books in the series so far, but you might like the Claire DeWitt books by Sara Gran:
Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead
Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway

The main character is a private detective, but as well as being crime novels they also have some mystical and somewhat paranormal elements. Very different from anything else I've read.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Rachel wrote: "There's only two books in the series so far, but you might like the Claire DeWitt books by Sara Gran:
Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead
[book:Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian High..."

Nice.... thank you

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Aug 08, 2018 01:25PM) (new)

What's a Ghoul to Do? mystery with PN elements

Southern Spirits mystery with PN elements

Murder on a Girls' Night Out mystery, series is finished. It kind of ended with a thud for its fans because the author died before the series was slated to end. But the last book in the series can kind of act as a closing book, even though it wasn't meant to be. Still, I loved Mouse and Sister (the 2 sleuths who are southern sisters of a "certain age".)

message 17: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) wrote: "kelgar01 wrote: "Allison Brennan has several series, I'd start with Love Me to Death.

Carol Higgins Clark books are a kind of "grown up Nancy Drew" IMH..."

OK, here goes, lol...

I can't believe no one has mentioned J.D. Robb yet, Naked in Death is the first of the series.

Jennifer Apodaca has a fun, but short, series, Dating Can Be Murder is the first of five books.

Did I miss Jennifer Estep on your list? Spider's Bite is the first.

Not really a recommendation, but one that I have on my TBR pile is Julie Kenner. I thought her Demon Hunting Soccer Mom series looked fun. The first book is Carpe Demon.

Don't think I saw Kim Harrison on your list either. If not, she is definitely worth a read IMHO. Dead Witch Walking is the first of the Hollows series.

Laurell K. Hamilton is not to everyone's tatse, but I like her, both of her series. A Kiss of Shadows is the first in the Merry Gentry series and Guilty Pleasures is the first Anita Blake.

MaryJanice Davidson's Queen Betsy series is fun, Undead and Unwed. And I have not read, but have heard good things about the Jennifer Scales books, Jennifer Scales and the Ancient Furnace is book 1.

Mercedes Lackey has the Diana Tregarde books, some of my faves! Only 3 books in the series, but there are a couple of free shorts on Amazon. Children of the Night.

Gotta run now. I'll keep looking though...

message 18: by Lou (last edited Jun 27, 2018 11:11AM) (new)

Lou Rocama | 438 comments (edited to fix a link)

I don't think any of these have been listed:

Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1) by Eileen Wilks Tempting Danger

First Truth (Truth, #1) by Dawn Cook First Truth

The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan The Magicians' Guild

The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30) by Terry Pratchett The Wee Free Men

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman The Golden Compass

This series covers a lot of time periods. It's also very weird later on, but still manages to be awesome (I think):

In the Garden of Iden (The Company, #1) by Kage Baker In the Garden of Iden

My mom really likes these:

The Wine of Angels (Merrily Watkins, #1) by Phil Rickman The Wine of Angels

A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley, #1) by Elizabeth George A Great Deliverance

message 19: by M (new)

M | 7 comments The mortal Instruments and The Infernal devices by Cassandra Clare. They have many main characters but some of them are female. Also Every Exquisite Thing by the same author. Anna Lightwood is a pretty strong character although she is non-binary.

message 20: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 193 comments Try Ann Bishop and Seanan McGuire. Both are fantasy writers with several series. Sarah Beth Durst has some fabulous YA fantasy, and a new Adult fantasy trilogy, too.

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Mignon F. Ballard has a series where a guardian angel is the sleuth. Angel at Troublesome Creek is the first book.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Stevens I second Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and J.D. Robb. Have you read Coptown by Karin Slaughter? First book of hers I read. Was very good.

message 23: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 225 comments Ella Summer Legion of Angels series
E.A. Copen Judah Black series
Ilona Andrews Hidden legacy series
Kalayna Price Alex Craft series
Lisa Emme Harry Russo series
K.F. Breene Fire and Ice trilogy
Izzy Shows Codex Blair series
Susan Illene Sensor series
Jasmine Walts Baine chronicles
Ann Charles Deadwood series
Yasmine Galenorn Fury Unbound series
Suzanne Johnson Sentinals of New Orleans series
Amelia Hutchins The fae chronicles
Ally Shields Guardian witch series

Ok I'll stop now before the list gets to long :)

Hope you'll like them :D

(sorry but I can't link the series atm using the app)

message 24: by Shann (new)

Shann (shanntajiah) | 6 comments Jessica Shirvington's Embrace (bk 1) 5 book series is really good :)

message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1204 comments Susan Conant's Holly Winter series of cozy mysteries, starting with A New Leash on DeathA New Leash on Death

message 26: by Dianne (last edited Jul 11, 2018 01:31PM) (new)

Dianne (dianne1) | 26 comments I didn't see this author on anyone's list, but I might have missed it:Anne Bishop

The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness

And then another series Written in Redand extra books in the first trilogy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=anne+...

message 27: by Tris (new)

Tris Crescent | 87 comments It looks like you also like YA books within those themes, so I'll suggest some of the ones I really liked!

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. It's the first book in the Iron Fey series. It involves both the "real" world and the faery world.

Talon by Julie Kagawa. It's the first book in the Talon series. It's kind of urban fantasy- dragons in the "real" world.

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. It's the first book in the Blood of Eden series. It's more a mix of urban fantasy and dystopian.

Zodiac by Romina Russell. It's the first book in the Zodiac series, science fiction genre.

Earth Girl by Janet Edwards. First book in Earth Girl series, science fiction genre.

I see that you mentioned that you don't like historicals, but I think these ones are similar to Etiquette & Espionage, in terms of how the historical component works in the novel. :)
The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud. First book in Lockwood & Co. series, paranormal and mystery.

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco. First book in Stalking Jack the Ripper series, mystery and historical.

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross. First book in the Steampunk Chronicles, paranormal/science fiction and historical.

If you like high fantasy, I highly recommend Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.

message 28: by L J (new)

L J I find http://stopyourekillingme.com/ a good source for information about mysteries. If you haven't looked there you might try it.
I'd like to help more but from G.A. Aiken to J.R. Ward and cozy cat mysteries to shifters and vampires we seen to have read, or at least tried, the same authors and series.

message 29: by Vulco1 (last edited Jul 27, 2018 05:39AM) (new)

Vulco1 | 29 comments Check out the The Final Empire Very good. Good action. Some romance. Some espionage. Cool powers. Great and well thought out magical system. Several sequels.

message 30: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Angelone Try Elly Griffith’s Ruth Galloway series

message 31: by Elle (new)

Elle Schroder (elleschroder) | 51 comments You could try Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. The two main characters are RIchard and Kahlan. Kahlan is a really strong female lead. Epic fantasy series, but pretty dark. If you decide to try it, start with Wizard's First Rule.

message 32: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments I'm not sure what kinds of sci-fi would suit your tastes as there aren't many sci-fi books among your examples and it's a very broad genre; here's an assortment of suggestions

Dread Empire's Fall: The Praxis and its sequels (military/political sci-fi where one of the two lead characters [and by far the most interesting] is female)
Honor Harrington: On Basilisk Station and its sequels (military/political sci-fi with a female lead; the series goes downhill in the later books, but the first few are pretty solid)
Zones of Thought: A Fire Upon the Deep and its sequels (cerebral space opera with two female main characters in the first book)

(Note to people suggesting stuff like Mistborn and Sword of Truth: those are high fantasy, not urban fantasy/paranormal)

message 33: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (hydrolagus) | 94 comments From your list it looks like you would enjoy YA by Holly Black. Her faerie books are mostly world-linked rather than series exactly.

Maybe also take a look at Nina Kiriki Hoffman. She has several short series and the leads in most of the books are female (including Matt Black--it's short for Matilda). Paranormal though not the usual PNR style at all.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellemarr) | 11 comments The Esther Diamond series by Laura Resnick might be something you'd enjoy--it's about an aspiring actress in NYC who keeps getting caught up in magical situations. Since she's neither an action star nor a detective she brings a distinct flavor to the series.

message 36: by Pat (new)

Pat | 14 comments The Witching Savannah series by J. D. Horn and The Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens.

message 37: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (manduck) | 112 comments Here are some I don't think anyone has mentioned
Skinwalker
First in the Jane Yellowrock series

This is the spinoff series (contains some spoilers for the Jane Yellowrock series as they are in the same world)
Blood of the Earth

This is a (hopefully ongoing) series with only 2 so far
Black Dust Mambo

The messenger series was good too
Don't Kill The Messenger

So was the Scarlet Bernard series
Dead Spots

And this series
Under Wraps

Annnd this one
Night Child

And one more
Vicious Circle

I also second the Ester Diamond series and the Diana Tregarde as I love both series.

message 38: by Sidsel (new)

Sidsel Varmark | 32 comments World of the Lupi by Eileen Wilks

Karen Chance has two series in the same universe, kinda intertwined. I prefer Dorina Basarab over Cassie Palmer, though both are good.

Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy, think the first one is Urban Shaman

Deborah Blake has a series about Babba Yaga

Night Life is the first in the nocturne city series by Caitlin Kittredge.

message 40: by Keirstin (new)

CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin (cloudofthoughtsxo) | 3 comments Strong female roles in thriller (I considered them cozy ones)
• As sick as our secrets by author A.B Whelan (on kindle unlimited too!)
• 14 days to die by author A.B Whelan (also on Kindle unlimited)
• The Other Mother by author Carol Goodman
• The Wife between Us & an anonymous girl, both by authors Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkenan

message 41: by Keirstin (new)

CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin (cloudofthoughtsxo) | 3 comments Sorry, I had a blank space on that. Books I suggested are not series. All super great books though! Good luck on your hunt!

message 42: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Oct 10, 2018 01:10AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Death Becomes Her g gggg wrote: "How about Death Becomes Her (The Kurtherian Gambit series by Michael Anderle.)

Death Becomes Her (The Kurtherian Gambit, #1) by Michael Anderle , Death Becomes Her (The Kurtherian Gambit, #1) by Michael Anderle

Finally, someone else mentions the Kurtherian Gambit books by Michael Anderle! The 1st book in this long and exciting series is "Death Becomes Her" by Michael Anderle.

Where are all the other rabid fans that I keep expecting to see but never hear from? Bethany Ann and the rest of the Queens' Bitches are some of the most life like characters I've ever read. It's such a unique series, with shades of a vampire/shifter version of a military space opera with so many bad guys getting the beat down! You'll see more of that building progressively with each book in the series.

Add to that, a symbiotic relationship with an alien, voices in your head, artificial intelligence, psychic abilities, talking dogs, cool inventions and secret alien technology and some of the most amusing commentary ever. What's not to love??? By the way, I don't think these comments are spoilers really, just a basic idea of what you can expect to see throughout the series.

Seriously, more people need to at least try this series. The first book is "Death Becomes Her" by Michael Anderle. Most of the books are FREE if you have Kindle-Unlimited.

Okay my fan girl moment is over. I tried to resist pushing this series, but alas I have failed. After this last gushing suggestion, I'm going to stop mentioning it in so many of my posts. Maybe it's just not for everyone. In fact, maybe I'll feel quite embarrassed in a few minutes...

message 43: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments I can't beleive I didn't add Nancy A. Collins! The Sonja Blue books would be right up your alley. The first is Sunglasses After Dark.

message 44: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Oliver (LeseratteSN) | 11 comments I just finished the All Souls trilogy:
A Discovery of Witches
Shadow of Night
The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness.
However, the epicentre is a love story.

message 45: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Nov 05, 2018 05:53AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series, beginning with The Wee Free Men.

It's part of the Discworld series, but I think the Tiffany Aching series can be read as a stand-alone, even though some of the characters are introduced in earlier books.

message 46: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (manduck) | 112 comments Blood Engines! I can't believe I forgot this one.

message 47: by David (new)

David (jazztea) | 67 comments I don’t think I saw the Seanan McGuire series in the list both the Toby Daye series and the InCryptid series too.

message 48: by eva (new)

eva (calendarbusiness) | 15 comments One I really enjoyed was Uncaged by John Sandford and Michele Cook. I've only read the first book, but I know there are two others in the series. It has lots of action and a hint of mystery, and no direct romance (in the first book, at least).

message 49: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (manduck) | 112 comments I have also just read Trail of Lightning which has some great world building and hopefully will be part of a series.

I saw someone mentioned the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series and it made me think of Bubbles Unbound which is the first in a series and one I have reread many times.

message 50: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments I'm surprised no one's mentioned The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I love that book.