Year-long NaNo discussion

Faith > The Winter's Chill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments So I am prepping for Camp NaNo, for which my project shall be the third book in the Pentegreen Series, The Winter's Chill. I actually really hate that title, so it is subject to change (unlike the other titles of the series.)

I'm going into this with 9k to start with, and I have no clue how much the final product will end up being (somewhere between 120k and 140k, hopefully...otherwise it just gets ridiculous xD)

So current word count: 9,089

Snippet:
She needed help. More than anything, she knew that she couldn’t do this on her own. All her life she had dreamed of the day that would one day come when she would be free, free, free—free like the birds, free to go where she wanted and be who she wanted and kiss all the boys she wanted and get married if she wanted and rule her own corner of the world outside of her father’s grasp, still without leaving Venaria.
Leaving Venaria was the most repulsive idea that had ever existed.

message 2: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "So I am prepping for Camp NaNo, for which my project shall be the third book in the Pentegreen Series, The Winter's Chill. I actually really hate that title, so it is subject to change (unlike the ..."

Actually, I think Winter's Chill is my favorite title so far in the series but *shrugs* that's just my humble opinion ;P

Awesome excerpt and way to go! You're already almost to 10k!

message 3: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "So I am prepping for Camp NaNo, for which my project shall be the third book in the Pentegreen Series, The Winter's Chill. I actually really hate that title, so it is subject to change..."

Well, I may keep it...uncertain as to right now, but we'll see :P

Thanks! *hides* SO MUCH MORE TO DO ON THIS IN 31 DAYS AGH

message 4: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 6/29/18--16, 217 words

Still working on my villains' backstory! :P

Snippet:

Growing up in the Mise ages you far beyond your years.
And everyone who lives there knows who to blame for their problems. After all, if their sovereign cared for them the way he’s supposed to care about the rest of the world, would he not have saved them before this point? Does he have any idea of the crippling poverty so many are subject to?
Does it even concern him?

message 5: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "6/29/18--16, 217 words

Snippet:

And everyone who lives there knows who to blame for their prob..."

Great word count! And ooh, interesting. Is that your villain saying that?

message 6: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "6/29/18--16, 217 words

Snippet:

And everyone who lives there knows who to blame f..."

There is /a/ villain saying that, although which one it is I shall not confirm. ;) XD And thank you!

message 7: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 6/30/18-- 18,088 words

So it looks like I'm going into Camp with just under 20k (I may try to write more tonight, but I'm not counting on it). I've lowered my goal to 70k, and may lower it more from there if work gets to be too much. :P

Snippet:
Dauthang.
Lord Dauthang.
Their greatest enemy Lord Dauthang.
The man most of them had thought, somewhere deep down, didn’t exist.
Lord Dauthang himself.
Was looking.
Directly.
At.
Him.
And had no idea who he was.

message 8: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "6/30/18-- 18,088 words

So it looks like I'm going into Camp with just under 20k (I may try to write more tonight, but I'm not counting on it). I've lowered my goal to 70k, and may lower it more fr..."

Sounds like a good plan to me :P I'm going in with just under 5k in my Top Secret Project so you're better off than I am XD

Also, that snippet. I'm dying. I LOVE it!

message 9: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "6/30/18-- 18,088 words

So it looks like I'm going into Camp with just under 20k (I may try to write more tonight, but I'm not counting on it). I've lowered my goal to 70k, and may low..."

Yep, I set my original goal as an unemployed 16-year-old XD (and by the way my job is at Dunkin' Donuts...I keep meaning to answer that and then forgetting xD)

Thank you! I love it myself a bit too much. XD

message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "6/30/18-- 18,088 words

So it looks like I'm going into Camp with just under 20k (I may try to write more tonight, but I'm not counting on it). I've lowered my goal to 70..."

Haha, well congrats on your job. I still don't have any job... *shakes head at self* But hey, more writing time for me :P

I don't blame you ;P

message 11: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "6/30/18-- 18,088 words

So it looks like I'm going into Camp with just under 20k (I may try to write more tonight, but I'm not counting on it). I've lowered ..."

Yeah, don't feel too bad about it...writing is worth it. XD

message 12: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "6/30/18-- 18,088 words

So it looks like I'm going into Camp with just under 20k (I may try to write more tonight, but I'm not counting on it)...."

Except, my parents keep saying how I need to get a job so I can pay for college and I'm like, um, I haven't even decided if I want to continue doing college after this class is finally over. But there's this scholarship available at the college I'm currently going to that I will get money off if all of my classes were A's and B's and my lowest grade I got at this college was an 89% so yeah, they want me to do that :/

message 13: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/4/18--ended up getting home too late last night to do an update, but I'm up to 21,424 words.

Snippet:
She blinked upon seeing the cup he extended to her, a mangled thing that appeared to be made of pure mud melded into the shape of what might be called a cup. This was a far cry from the fine stone that their dishes were made of back at home. “What in the world is that?”
“It’s a cup.” He raised an eyebrow at her. “Don’t tell me you’ve never seen cutlery before.”
“I’m well acquainted with dishes. Or at least, dishes that actually look like dishes. What is that atrocity?”

message 14: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "7/4/18--ended up getting home too late last night to do an update, but I'm up to 21,424 words.

Snippet:
She blinked upon seeing the cup he extended to her, a mangled thing that appeared to be mad..."

Great work! And XD. They're discussing dishes XD XD

message 15: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/4/18--ended up getting home too late last night to do an update, but I'm up to 21,424 words.

Snippet:
She blinked upon seeing the cup he extended to her, a mangled thing that appea..."

Thanks! And yes. XD This book is super dark so giving little lighter moments...a must. xD

message 16: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/4/18--ended up getting home too late last night to do an update, but I'm up to 21,424 words.

Snippet:
She blinked upon seeing the cup he extended to her, a mangled th..."

Honestly. I feel the same way about my own books. Hence why I usually have characters like the dwarfs and Eugene and have my characters often have ridiculous conversations about the monkey in the group XP

message 17: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/4/18--ended up getting home too late last night to do an update, but I'm up to 21,424 words.

Snippet:
She blinked upon seeing the cup he extended to her,..."

It's so true...there has to be moments to breathe :P

message 18: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/5/18--27, 431 words

Snippet:
“To be fair,” she told him, because she liked to be fair, “I don’t actually hate you half as much as I’m making out.”
He turned around to face her, his eyes growing wide. “As much as you’re what?”
She groaned. Language intricacies at their best. “I just mean I’m exaggerating the extent to which I hate you. It’s not so horrid as all that.”
“Okay. That phrase just...means something different…”
“Yes, boy, I know what that phrase means!” The sharpness of her speech surprised even her. “Forget it.”

message 19: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/6/18 -- 28,305 words

message 20: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Way to go!

message 21: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "Way to go!"

Thanks!

message 22: by R.F. Gammon (last edited Jul 07, 2018 06:13PM) (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/7/18-- 30,036 words

Snippet:
No, he would stay and he would fight and he would sabotage Dauthang’s army from the inside. No matter what it cost him. Even if he never saw /spoiler/ again, even if he died alone in a hole someplace. Death was nothing compared to the fact that he would not—could not—let such an atrocity continue.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments This is interesting.... might I ask what the story line is?

message 24: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "7/7/18-- 30,036 words

Snippet:
No, he would stay and he would fight and he would sabotage Dauthang’s army from the inside. No matter what it cost him. Even if he never saw /spoiler/ again, even ..."

AHHH!!! Oh no! I definitely don't like the sound of this :O :O :O

message 25: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "This is interesting.... might I ask what the story line is?"

The story line...oh boy it's so complicated. *sobs* This is the third book in my series, and you can read the synopses to books 1 and 2 here: http://thefloridsword.blogspot.com/20...

message 26: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/7/18-- 30,036 words

Snippet:
No, he would stay and he would fight and he would sabotage Dauthang’s army from the inside. No matter what it cost him. Even if he never saw /spoiler/..."

You definitely shouldn't. *weeps too*

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Thanks! You have the other two published already?

message 28: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Thanks! You have the other two published already?"

No. *shakes head fervently* No, I haven't even started editing the second one yet, and the first one is under the process of editing. I hope to publish them someday...no clues as to when that will happen though. :|

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Okay this cannot be happening!! You HAVE TO FINISH your books!!!! 😶 You can't just write them to leave them on the shelf after you gave us "hint hints" !!!!! *storms away angrily* ...... *takes breath* ...... *comes back* Please finish editing them.... like now. *glares warningly* ( lol )

message 30: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/8/18-- 31, 644 words

Snippet:
He turned to her and winked, and was rewarded with a look of absolute death.
Oh, yes. If Dauthang were to figure out his deception, he was dead.
And truly dead, too. No… erm… magic resurrections. His immunity to her power wouldn’t protect him from death.
How unfortunate.

message 31: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/12/18-- 38, 311 words

Snippet:

“The attention of the world and their approval is not worth it.” Derek leaned forward on his knees and stared at her with all the passion he felt on this subject. “You are worth more than that. Don’t settle for paltry approval.”
“Easy for you to say.” She curled her lip for a second and then rolled back over so that her back was to him once again. “Fitting in has always come easy for you. Don’t act like you know how it feels to be an outsider.”
The words stung and he reeled back against the wall, shutting his eyes.
The worst part, he realized…
Was that it was true.

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Beautiful

message 33: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "7/12/18-- 38, 311 words

Snippet:

“The attention of the world and their approval is not worth it.” Derek leaned forward on his knees and stared at her with all the passion he felt on this subjec..."

Both these excerpts are epicness! Great job on the word count :)

message 34: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Thank you both! ^_^

message 35: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/13/18-- 40,013 words

Snippet:
The skeletons of houses that he had once walked through lay in heaps of rubble at intervals along the plains, black smudges against the brown earth. All was ruin.
And he could not rip his eyes away from it, even as he prayed that he would not burst into tears and give himself away.
“What a pit,” Anna choked next to him, her face twisting in disgust. “Is there anything left for us to conquer?”

message 36: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "7/13/18-- 40,013 words

Snippet:
The skeletons of houses that he had once walked through lay in heaps of rubble at intervals along the plains, black smudges against the brown earth. All was ruin.
..."

Great work, Faith! And that excerpt, deeply emotional.

message 37: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/13/18-- 40,013 words

Snippet:
The skeletons of houses that he had once walked through lay in heaps of rubble at intervals along the plains, black smudges against the brown earth. A..."

It is. :'( My poor children...this is such a dark book.

message 38: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/13/18-- 40,013 words

Snippet:
The skeletons of houses that he had once walked through lay in heaps of rubble at intervals along the plains, black smudges against the ..."

I can tell from the excerpts. Poor, kids...

message 39: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/14/18-- 41,153 words

Snippet:

“Kara!” she screamed, and the wind snatched her voice and sent it flurrying away with the snow. She could barely hear herself— how was she expecting someone else to hear her? A shiver wracked her body and she gritted her teeth to keep from crying out again.
Needles of pain stabbed into her arm. That overwhelming cold grew again.
This could not be happening.

message 40: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "7/14/18-- 41,153 words

Snippet:

“Kara!” she screamed, and the wind snatched her voice and sent it flurrying away with the snow. She could barely hear herself— how was she expecting someone else ..."

Augh! What can't be happening???

message 41: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/14/18-- 41,153 words

Snippet:

“Kara!” she screamed, and the wind snatched her voice and sent it flurrying away with the snow. She could barely hear herself— how was she expecting ..."

Spoilers, darlin' ^_^

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Of course.... isn't there enough spoilers....

message 43: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/14/18-- 41,153 words

Snippet:

“Kara!” she screamed, and the wind snatched her voice and sent it flurrying away with the snow. She could barely hear herself— how was ..."

*grumbles* XD

message 44: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/14/18-- 41,153 words

Snippet:

“Kara!” she screamed, and the wind snatched her voice and sent it flurrying away with the snow. She could barely hear hers..."

Everything in these books is spoilers at this point...I don't want to ruin anything in book 1 for you, Nicki XD

message 45: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Of course.... isn't there enough spoilers...."

NEVER!

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments When I'm writing spoilers can't be enough.... but when I'm reading.... now that's a different story....

*pleads in a puppy dog voice* please, oh please, won't you continue with the tale....?

message 47: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/14/18-- 41,153 words

Snippet:

“Kara!” she screamed, and the wind snatched her voice and sent it flurrying away with the snow. She could ba..."

Especially since I'm finally reading it XD *sighs heavily* I suppose I shall just have to be patient ;P

message 48: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "7/14/18-- 41,153 words

Snippet:

“Kara!” she screamed, and the wind snatched her voice and sent it flurrying away with the snow...."

Exactly. ;) You'll get there eventually. Just press on. XD

message 49: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/15/18-- 41, 897 words

message 50: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 7/17/18-- 45, 547 words

Snippet:
“Has it really been that long since you’ve seen me?” he asked the man holding the spear to his chest, peering down at the place where the metal wrinkled his shirt and letting his nose wrinkle. “I’m offended.”
“Who are you?!”
“I’m a spy,” Derek said very calmly. “And I demand you to take me and my friend to the home of Roland Ternarnthien the Third. He will know exactly who I am. I will not talk before that point.”
“Wait.” The man stepped back and let his nose wrinkle. “Are you—”
“Wrong place.” Derek might have been taking a walk in the garden at home. “One misplaced word and you get us all killed, and I’m not eager for that to happen...I’m sure none of you particularly want death either. Or I’d be sure of that if you weren’t such poor shots with arrows. You need help. And lots of it. Take me to Ternarnthien, and I’ll sort everything out.”

« previous 1