Play Book Tag discussion

The Snow Child
This topic is about The Snow Child
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1457 comments The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

4 stars

This story is based on the fairy tale of the Snow Child. Set in the wilds of Alaska in the early twentieth century, a childless couple meet a young girl who seems to be living on her own. I really liked this book. The descriptions of living in the Alaskan wilderness were wonderful. It really came alive for me, as did the feeling of the main characters, Jack and Mable. The story itself was very well done. I liked the ambiguity of the possibility of magic even in the face of reasonable explanations. I will definitely seek out more from this author.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Yay! I also really liked this one, though my book club was split on it. I actually liked her follow up book, To The Bright Edge of the World even more. It was less fairy tales/MR and more historical fiction with Native American folklore.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book!! So glad you enjoyed it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole R wrote: "Yay! I also really liked this one, though my book club was split on it. I actually liked her follow up book, To The Bright Edge of the World even more. It was less fairy tales/MR an..."

I loved Snow Child so much that I did look up to see what else this author had written. I wondered about reading this book. I might give it a try now.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9377 comments I liked Bright Edge less, and less than others. I would read some reviews first. But one thing I remember riding in that review was that if there’s two things this other news about it’s harsh winter conditions and a deep abiding sense of love. That remains unchanged.

annapi | 5159 comments I loved this one too!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book, and have To the Bright Edge of the World; since Nicole and I agree on many, many books I will need to bump it up.

Sushicat | 805 comments I loved them both, but they are completely different books.

Cora (corareading) | 1457 comments The Bright Edge of the World is one of Amazon's Kindle monthly deals for July. It is 2.99 now.