Atlas Shrugged
This topic is about Atlas Shrugged
Atlas Shrugged - July-Sept 2018 > Atlas Shrugged - General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1751 comments Mod
This is the thread for general Atlas Shrugged Discussion

(For those wondering where MIddlemarch is since it tied with AS, we will be reading that Oct-Dec 2018)

Glenda | 61 comments This is another one of those classics I've had on my to-read shelf for years; I bought my copy in the early '90's and finally started it this evening! I am curious how many are rereading it or if they are like me and reading for the first time.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glenda wrote: "This is another one of those classics I've had on my to-read shelf for years; I bought my copy in the early '90's and finally started it this evening! I am curious how many are rereading it or if t..."

I have read it before and it is a favorite of mine, but I don't think I will be re-reading it at this time.

It tends to elicit controversy so it will be interesting to see how discussion goes!

Jessica | 118 comments I will be reading it for the first time too! It was very hard to find a copy, none of the regular libraries I visit had it in stock. I had to use my University Library privileges (I work at a University hospital) to take it out. I am counting on the English Lit students to either be on summer break or not in the mood for this quite substantial tome at this time...

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica wrote: "I will be reading it for the first time too! It was very hard to find a copy, none of the regular libraries I visit had it in stock. I had to use my University Library privileges (I work at a Unive..."

While substantial, I was glad when I read it to find it to be not too much of a slog

message 6: by Phil (new) - rated it 1 star

Phil J | 18 comments Matthew wrote: "While substantial, I was glad when I read it to find it to be not too much of a slog "

It was a slog for me.

message 7: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments Sorry folks I'm skipping over this one directly to Middlemarch which I am in the middle of reading now. I don't think I could bear reading Atlas Shrugged sorry - contempt prior to investigation and all that...but life is too short

Glenda | 61 comments I think I am the only one still reading this, but I am about 300 pages from the end. I'll admit that I put it aside this summer, but it seems like once certain things started happening mid-way through part 2 I became intrigued with the story again. Plus, it still seems eerily relevant, even in this modern day and age.

message 9: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glenda wrote: "I think I am the only one still reading this, but I am about 300 pages from the end. I'll admit that I put it aside this summer, but it seems like once certain things started happening mid-way thro..."

So, you haven't got to the John Galt speech yet? I hear that is a showstopper for many even though it is close to the end.

Jessica | 118 comments I'm also still hanging in there, but it is not an easy process. I am intrigued by the book, but not a happy participant of it's story. I plan to finish it this week.

I also become intrigued again midway part two, but then it just ... went on and on and again and well let's do another round of the same and now I'm still waiting for something surprising to happen.

I am wondering about the psychology behind writing this book. If it is intended as a vessel to convey the writer's conviction/ philosophy, surely there must be a more efficient way to do so? Though all the speeches we're getting in place of natural conversation can read as a collection of essays haha