Yoga Folks discussion

Fitness Junkie group read > Fitness Junkie Second Half and Whole Book

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 810 comments Mod
I finished Fitness Junkie last night. For anyone who hasn't read it yet (and you shouldn't be on this thread if you haven't, because spoilers are allowed here), it's a pretty fast read.

Here are some prompts for the second half and the end of the book for those who are playing along:

1) Chapter 14 starts with an article supposedly written on Vice.com (which I found especially amusing, since I write for Vice.com) about "The Perfect Meditation App for People Who Are Real As F*CK!" What do you think of this obviously tongue-in-cheek concept that maybe has some true undertones: that since we feel better dropping the F bomb sometimes, why not do it in meditation, by saying "I'm letting this shit go" as you exhale?

2) Janey goes on a workout retreat in the Caribbean. Have you ever gone on a fitness or yoga retreat out of the country? If so, did the change of scenery and group bonding make a difference? Janey obviously has a different experience, since they were all unknowingly amped up on cocaine. Did you find this plot line enjoyable? Realistic?

3) What did you think of some of the other female characters in the book: Ivy? Sarah? CJ? Do you have any friends that resemble any of them in their good qualities?

4) Were you surprised that Janey ended up with Hugh instead of Juice Man, or did you predict that early on?

5) Towards the end of the book, the author outlines all the upheavals that happened in Janey's life to make her behave the way she did in this book. "She'd lost every bit of stability in her life in the past twelve months--her parents, her best friend, her marriage, her job." Does this make her more sympathetic, or do you think this was overkill on the part of the authors. Have you ever had a year of such disruption? If so, how did you soothe yourself?

6) What do you think of the ending, in terms of what Janey plans to do next in her career?

7) Did you like the book?

XO
Meryl

message 2: by Meryl (new)

I'm going to answer some of my own questions.

1) While I found this meditation concept clever, I think it would make for a bad meditation. I believe in inhaling love and exhaling love, rather than doing it the way some do of bringing in good and sending out bad. I prefer to keep my mind focused on positive things (and also not to "pollute" the environment around me with negative energy that I might send out). So thinking about "shit" or "f*ck" during a meditation would bring my lofty energy down.

2) I went on a spiritual cruise this spring, and it was fantastic. I think bonding with like-minded people away from your regular life makes it extra special.

3) I liked Ivy--she seemed like a good person caught in a bad work situation. I thought Sarah turned out to be a weak, flummoxed character when she started out so strong.

4) I never saw her with Juice Man in the first place, so it was Hugh all the way.

5) I thought there were maybe too many upheavals to make it realistic. Why did she need to be getting divorced? She could have been single all along. But all the turmoil certainly explained why she was willing to do all the weird things she does in the novel.

6) I liked the ending. I was afraid she might go back to Beau but instead she put him in his rightful place. I'm glad she didn't fly back to the south to work for the chocolate business; that wouldn't have seemed realistic for a cosmopolitan girl.

7) Overall, I found the book fun and enjoyable. A good summer read.

message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 5 comments Meryl wrote: "I finished Fitness Junkie last night. For anyone who hasn't read it yet (and you shouldn't be on this thread if you haven't, because spoilers are allowed here), it's a pretty fast read.

Here are s..."

I started this book much later and I'm only half way through. Its the first book I've read in quite a while and I am totally amused. I only skimped your reviews, comments and questions because I don't want to spoil the rest of the book. I will comment again when I'm finished. So glad I picked it up.

message 4: by Meryl (new)

Rhonda, happy to have you join in. Do check out the other post on the first half of the book. This is for the second half

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill (jills7987) | 16 comments I read the book and liked it. I didn't start and finish it until July. In answer to some of your questions:

1. I did not like the use of the F word at all. And I did not like the yoga workouts with the insults either.

2. I have never been on a yoga retreat. It was a complete surprise that the participants were being drugged. Makes one wary to try out a yoga retreat.

4. Hugh and Janey were a good match. Too much age and maturity difference with the Juice Man.

6. I liked the ending with Hugh coming out as the choice. I also liked that she chose not to stay with the company she started since it had new owners. She gave up too easy on letting Beau sell it.

message 6: by Meryl (new)

Glad you read it Jill. It’s a fun summer book.

I certainly don’t think anyone has to worry that a real yoga retreat might be like that. Everything in the story is way over the top. The yoga retreats I have gone to have been wonderful.

message 7: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 5 comments I agree, this was not a Yoga retreat it was a fitness/weight loss retreat. The only yoga in the book was the topless class she did

message 8: by Meryl (new)

Yes, it wasn’t much of a yoga book. I had hoped for more when I suggested it. But it was still a fun summer read.

Next month will be more yoga-ish. I’m hot on the trails of a potential book :-)