freyhaven. advanced discussion

v. residency > |oliver's bunker - location n/a

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

The Outsider (Whales or Whatever) (davekatislife) | 229 comments Mod
description
(view spoiler)

──── a massive bunker meant for political officials in case of emergency, one of many in fact meant for high ranking spokesmen and council members of porter bridges. accessed through one of the many tunnels that branch out throughout the underground of the outer regions. every window is actually a monitor screening in live feed from different parts of the city.

The walk down the passage was long and daunting. It took every bit of energy out of Oliver to keep the motion detectors shut down as he paced forward quickly, not to mention the actual energy it took to keep himself moving. He didn't have time to screen through monitors and survey the surroundings. The actual entrance to the tunnels that led out of the city (or rather, the entrance to one of many tunnels), was quite cleverly hidden. It was just another panel along the massive wall that divided the inside and the outside of Freyhaven. All he had to do was swipe a keycard and done, it was open.

No normally Oliver wouldn't have gotten anywhere near Freyhaven. He wanted nothing physically to do with that city. But he had needs. He required spare parts, on occasion he needed food, other expendables. Typically he'd have one of the few members of his exclusive faction drop off a bag of supplies at a specified location. As was such in this case.

He approached the bag cautiously and stared down at it for a long moment before taking it by the handle and turning on his heel to head back. The last thing he needed was to be seen by some street rat or commonfolk. Or just a person in general. He found that he despised people. There were very few that managed to get his attention, and even fewer that he could say he genuinely enjoyed conversing with.

message 3: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie pressed her back against a wall while watching carefully. She had been wanting to meet the leader of the gray hats from the moment she joined. He seemed so mysterious and quiet. Half of the time she wondered if he was even real, or if maybe he was working for the government. All the more reason for her to be incredibly surprised when he approached her to bring his groceries. That's when she knew that this was her chance to at least see the guy--or gal. But it appeared to be a guy after all. A very real guy.

She peeked her head further around the corner as he watched him turn on his heel to speed walk away. Even from the back, he was attractive. But that's not why she was here. She couldn't get distracted by something so stupid. What she needed was to earn his trust then get answers.

As she was thinking this, she lost her balance and let out a shout of surprise before hitting the ground... hard. Her head whacked the ground. That's gonna leave a mark.

Oliver stopped midstep and nearly fumbled over himself. His eyes widened almost comically and he slowly turned back to see what had happened. His gaze settled on Ellie. Part of him just wanted to keep going. Fuck it, she'd fallen, that sucked, it'd probably hurt in the morning.

But then another part of him, the very human, empathetic part of him, it wanted to go back and see if she was okay. So instead, he just stood there, silently staring at her. His eyes were completely black on black, hues of midnight scanning her being. She wasn't very far away from him.

message 5: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie let out a string of vulgar curse words under her breath while putting a hand to her forehead which was gushing blood. "Fucking shit," she mumbled before looking up to see Oliver staring right at her. This is definitely not how she wanted their first meeting to go. "Fucking shit," she cursed again before stumbling to her feet, only to start falling over again as black spots danced across her vision.

He was at a crossroads. Turn back and leave her there to bleed out and probably suffer at the hands of a desperate street urchin. Or go and get her and compromise the security of a home completely unknown to the public.

Unfortunately, he was human. Most humans had the bad habit of working against their own best interests. So he approached her and held a hand out, "... Ellie Torres. Nineteen years old. I do not appreciate being gypped. And if it were not for the circumstances, I would currently be disbanding you from the faction for disobeying my direct order... But I wont. Only because of circumstance. Come" he let her lean on his shoulder, directing her back towards the panel.

message 7: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie grumbled a few more curse words under her breath and leaned against him for some support while trying desperately not to bleed out all over him. She hated being helped, she didn't need help... usually... but this was different. "Where... you... taking?" she slurred and shook her head slightly. "Where are you taking... me?"

He didn't reply to her. He figured she should probably not talk. Though he looked like your average awkward albeit chiseled teenage boy, he had the strength of a synth. So he picked her up, ducking out of sight and starting down the tunnel system.

message 9: by kenna (last edited Jun 26, 2018 01:44AM) (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie groaned a little upon being picked up and tried to shake away the dizziness. Her insides boiled at the fact that she sustained such an injury from losing her balance of all things. "I swear... not usually... this stupid," she moaned while struggling to keep her eyes open. "Fine... really. Maybe just... concussion."

He couldn't help but roll his eyes at that. The walk was slower than he would have preferred. But keeping the monitors plus lugging around a teenage girl with a minor injury was tedious. When he got to the bunker, shutting the hatch behind him, he set her on the couch, walking into the bathroom to retrieve a medical kit.

message 11: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie leaned back and swallowed, trying to regain her composure. This was certainly not how she was expecting her night to go. She was hoping it would be more along the lines of seeing the guy, buying herself something to drink, then going home to get wasted by herself. She sighed and pushed herself up into a sitting position, ignoring the feeling of the room spinning around her. I'm fine, she tried to convince herself.

message 12: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever) (last edited Jun 26, 2018 01:29AM) (new)

Oliver returned and knelt before her, "Sit still" he ordered, his voice monotonous and flat though there were hints of annoyance that fumed through his words like rain trickling in through a bad tile job. Up close, and in better lighting, there was something ethereal to Oliver. His features were odd, striking, but strangely elegant. It was probably the eyes.

His attire was outdated. It looked like something from the old world, but not the modern old world. Something from the victorian old world - with a slightly minimalistic spin.

<< somethin ridiculously over the top like this
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/61/64/... >>

message 13: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie rolled her eyes which only made her head kill even more than it already did. "Even for... leader... you're bossy," she tried to reply but her aching head couldn't seem to form a sentence properly. Nevertheless, she stayed still and eyed him from top to bottom. She could appreciate his style, even if it was different, to say the least. She could barely keep her eyes off of his striking ones that she wouldn't mind getting lost in.

She ignored the thought and tugged her leather jacket over her hands and chewed on her lips.

[[ absolutely flawless ]]

He focused on her, eyes devoid of even the white around the pupils, flickering over features as he worked seamlessly. He had her cleaned and patched in no time, though it was one of the many things he'd been trained to do when he was a servant synth. "I'm not typically this abrasive, though you aren't typically this troublesome. I expected you to be a bit ornery, and though I am older than many of the tunnels that branch out of the city like metal tree roots, you've still managed to surprise me. So congratulations on that minuscule accomplishment" he spoke bitterly. Though he only seemed slightly inconvenienced.

message 15: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie smirked and rose her eyebrows. "You act like you know everything... about me." She took in a deep breath, determined to speak at least close to as fluently as he did. She still couldn't keep her eyes off of his. Everything he was saying intrigued her and she found herself wondering if he was even human. "And older than the tunnels, hm?" She wondered if there was any other way for her to surprise him. All she knew was that she wanted to spend more time with him and find out more. It was like her entire body was craving it.

"I know events, and through what has happened to you and the choices that you've made in life, I can assume what you feel, your opinions and disposition. Though I can never truly know for certain what you think, the ways in which in you calculate. But yes, I know quite a bit about you, Ellie. Otherwise I would not have proposed that you join my faction" he rambled on. He'd always been especially good at that.

He stood up stiffly posture alarmingly proper, "There is a spare room, unless you'd rather sleep there" he gestured to his own bed, which was a fixture in the living room.

message 17: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie listened to him intently, devouring every word that slipped off his tongue. "Hm, interesting. At least you got the part about not knowing what I think about right." With her mind finally beginning to clear, her confidence began to grow again. She tried to act as if she didn't have a care in the world what he had to say, but truthfully, she was incredibly interested.

She rose her eyebrows at his gesture. "Say I do sleep there," she nodded towards his bed, "where would you sleep?"

Regardless of his knowledge and his wisdom, at the end of the day, physically Oliver was still a teen. He was teen spliced with cybernetic enhancements, but a teen all the same. He stiffened at the idea of sleeping in the same bed with a clearly attractive female.

"... Elsewhere, if that would make you more comfortable. Or perhaps not at all" he explained.

message 19: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie smirked at his sudden stiffness and realized this is exactly how she could surprise him a little more. Or was that ridiculous? Probably ridiculous. She wondered if she should pursue any further but her curiosity was practically eating her alive. What would he do if she didn't stop?

"I mean, it is your bed, isn't it? You won't have to sleep elsewhere if you don't want to." She wanted to stand up but she didn't exactly trust herself to do that quite yet. Instead, she stayed sitting down, anxiously waiting for his reply, ready to back off immediately if she had to.

Oliver went silent and pondered over it for a moment. He could see her reasoning but he also felt as though there were ulterior motives. This was Ellie. She was a clever girl, he couldn't help but be curious as to where this would go. He was a being of insatiable curiosity after all.

"... Alright" he nodded before walking into the kitchen to get her a glass of water.

message 21: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie let out a soft breath, surprised that it had gotten this far. She was half expecting him to throw her out the moment she finished her sentence. How far was this going to go before he stopped it? He obviously had some human to him so maybe further than she'd originally thought. She tried pushing herself off of the couch and ignored the dizzy spell washing over her, not realizing that she was again slowly tipping over.

Oliver turned to face her and he furrowed his brows. He approached, grabbing her arm to steady her before she could fall. "It may be wise of you not to stand right now." he led her to the bed, letting her sit down, "But you will need to rest. Your body heals slowly." he added.

message 23: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie rolled her eyes. "I'm fine, a maybe minor concussion is nothing. I could probably fight an army right now, no biggie," she ranted. "I definitely don't need rest, my body heals just as fast as yours," she continued arguing while reluctantly sitting down. She hated appearing vulnerable in front of anyone, especially her leader of all people.

He seemed particularly unimpressed, staring at her flatly and folding his arms. "... I sincerely doubt that. The strongest of soldiers know when to tell a medic that they're harmed. A prideful soldier is a weak one - and it is your pride that prevents you from meeting your true potential. If every situation you're in leads to you struggling desperately to prove your worth to those around you - perhaps you haven't proved your worth to yourself" he rambled, turning back and fumbling through a storage panel as he searched for linens.

message 25: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie rose her eyebrows at him, partly impressed and partly offended. "Or maybe it has nothing to do with pride and more to do with prioritizing. Sometimes you have to keep moving even when your hurt. Life doesn't stop for you to heal or mourn," she answered, which was partly true. Another part of her simply didn't care about getting hurt, or even killed, for that matter. After she spoke she gazed at Oliver intently, looking him up and down without shame. He really was attractive in a different way, he was stunning and she couldn't take her eyes off him.

He didn't notice her wandering gaze, mostly because he wasn't the greatest when it came to social interaction and he'd never really been exposed to anyone attracted to him - not openly at least. Most people just found him intimidating. "What is more pressing than the wounds that will only serve to hold you back further if you don't allow them to heal?" he questioned, raising his brows expectantly as he returned with the blankets, "... Do you require a change of clothing?" he asked.

message 27: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie was almost surprised by his question, but not quite. She had figured by now that he definitely wasn't all human, so maybe he didn't quite understand yet. "What's most important to me is helping others. There are people out there far more important than me that could do a lot more to change the world. I don't prioritize my wounds over theirs." She quickly shut her mouth when she realized how quickly she'd opened up to someone she'd only recently met. She ran a thumb over a scar on her hand and nodded when he asked if she needed a change of clothes. "Yeah, er, thanks."

Oliver glanced over her and furrowed his brows, narrowing his eyes skeptically. People typically opened up to him quickly, probably because he was awful when it came to small talk. "You are not a moral authority. Remember that right and wrong is dictated by those with power to suit themselves. How do you expect to take care of others when you can hardly care for yourself? Furthermore, how is that reflective of your character to them? How do they view you and your actions? What do they take from your displays? What are you teaching those around you? To not take care of themselves?" he questioned before turning and leaving the room, walking into the small spare, searching for clothes in his wardrobe.

message 29: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie clenched her jaw and stood up, stalking after him while holding onto walls and furniture for balance. "That is not at all what I mean!" she shouted after him. "I'm not trying to be an influence for anybody, I'm just not a selfish prick!" she growled, stopping right behind him. "I don't give a shit about my character or how people view me and my actions. What I'm saying is if I see someone on the battlefield with a bullet wound, I'm gonna make sure they get medical attention before I run off crying like a baby for help."

Oliver turned to her and slowly tilted his head, eyes scanning her figure, "I'm not sure about you Ellie, but I don't see a single person here, around us, wounded, but yourself. And I might be wrong, but weren't you initially making an argument about your priorities?" he questioned, eyes going low lidded, "So why don't you reevaluate your priorities and go sit down?" he questioned.

message 31: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie felt like she shrank several feet with Oliver staring at her like that, towering over her. She swallowed and looked him up and down. "Don't feel like sitting down," she answered, voice slightly raspy. "And it's not like you can make me."

He went quiet, staring down at her still, near towering over her with his dark eyes like oily oceans on starless nights. "Why are you so ridiculously stubborn? Do you get some odd satisfaction out of doing the exact opposite of what people tell you to do?" he questioned.

message 33: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie continued holding her head up high, faking the confidence she wished she had while drowning in his eyes. His eyes should have some kind of warning. Like, 'don't look here unless you want to get lost.' She cleared her throat before speaking again. "Yes, actually. Do you get some odd satisfaction out of telling people what to do?" she questioned back, half tempted to stand on her tippy toes to be at least a little taller.

He paused at that and thought for a moment. Why yes, kind of. Most of the time they listened though. Especially when it was in their best interests - which was the vast majority of cases. He didn't reply, holding the clothing out and walking back into the other room, sitting down in his office chair.

message 35: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie rolled her eyes at him and took the clothes. Without a second thought, she started changing without bothering to close the door. She highly doubted that Oliver cared whether she stood ass naked in front of him or not. She pulled the oversized t-shirt he gave her on as well as the sweats hung desperately to her hips, incredibly close to falling. She carefully folded her leather jacket and set it on the bed, vowing to murder Oliver if he even touched it.

Once she finished changing, she walked back to where Oliver was sitting and crossed her arms, frowning down at him.

Though he did glance over, Oliver didn't stare. He was polite, immediately looking away. He seemed somewhat busy, eyes flickering over monitors as he screened the current events. Everything seemed to be just about normal. "Sleep" he muttered, not even looking over at her.

message 37: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie stayed standing there, scanning the monitors behind him. "Not tired," she replied simply. "How do you have all of these monitors watching everything?" she questioned, putting her hands on the back of his chair and leaning forward a little to get a closer look.

Oliver's gaze flickered over to the girl and he shook his head, "simple" he shrugged, "but irrelevant. You need to rest" he persisted. He really didn't want to get into the basics of hacking right now and he figured Ellie knew this stuff anyways, she was in his faction after all, not to mention in the security division.

message 39: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie rolled her eyes, she did indeed know exactly how he did it, she was more hoping that he would get distracted so she wouldn't have to sleep. Sure, maybe she was a little tired, and maybe she did need to rest, but she didn't think that she would be able to sleep. She wanted to explore the whole bunker and ask Oliver millions of questions.

She let out a frustrated huff and sat on the bed, still watching him intently before standing up again and walking back over, dragging a chair along with her. She sat next to him and continued watching the monitors with wide eyes.

He wasn't used to the company. It felt odd having another living, sentient being in the bunker with him, especially after so long in solitude. He couldn't tell if it was refreshing or irritating. Though he didn't completely distaste her presence. She was entertaining, predictably unpredictable. "May I help you?" he questioned, raising a brow at her.

message 41: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie only hummed and rested her chin in her hand, still carefully watching the monitors. She never really left her apartment building unless she needed to. She preferred to watch the world from afar, upon the rooftops of buildings, it was interesting to be seeing things up close and personal. Parts of what she was seeing she didn't even know existed before.

When she didn't answer his question, he figured she didn't hear him. So he didn't press further, turning back to his work, scoping out areas and extracting files from Porter Bridges databases that weren't meant for the public eye.

message 43: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie's eyes widened slightly as she watched Oliver at work. She grew more and more interested in him by the minute - and not simply physically interested, just everything about him was different and interesting. "What are you looking for?" she asked quietly, trying to keep the sleepiness out of her voice.

"Porter Bridges compensates for an influx of new synths and as such - restructures the inner workings of the curriculum it has for the new ones, keeping them updated, and different. If they're all the same, they could develop a hive mentality and get the same ideas. It's... similar to changing a password every month or so." he explained, though he knew he couldn't tell her everything, it was a lot to take in.

message 45: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie clung onto his every word, completely fascinated. She narrowed her eyes as she stared at the monitors. "I never like thinking about how smart the government is," she breathed. "The stupid part of me likes to pretend that we're the only smart ones in this godforsaken world." She ran her thumb over the scars on her hand, desperately trying to keep herself tied to reality before she spun out like she sometimes did.

"We aren't the heroes Ellie. Remember that. Don't strive to make a difference, strive to understand and think for yourself" he explained. He didn't want to be lumped in with the self righteous white hats.

message 47: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie nodded her head a little. "You're right, but I already can think for myself, thanks," she huffed, clearly annoyed. Maybe he was right about her not understanding herself, but she thought for herself all the time. Right? Ellie furrowed her eyebrows, now questioning herself. Maybe she got disobeying each command mixed up with thinking for herself.

Oliver stared at her for a moment, "What would you consider thinking for yourself?" he asked calmly. He wasn't being patronizing, nor did he even seem the slightest bit condescending. He genuinely wanted to know, glancing at her and leaning against the back of his chair.

message 49: by kenna (new)

kenna | 165 comments
Ellie chewed on her bottom lip for a moment, thinking deeply about his question. Did she even know the answer? She straightened up in her seat and looked Oliver in the eyes again, refusing to look afraid or uncertain. "Not giving a shit what other people think and... and doing what you think is right," she answered, faking all of the confidence she was sending out because even she didn't know what she thought was right.

Oliver furrowed his brows faintly and shook his head, "To think for yourself is to be able to confidently consider the thoughts of others and to apply your own to them, to question everything but not so much so that the only reason you do is for the express purpose of rebellion." he explained, watching her closely.

« previous 1