Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > HP and the Deathly Hallows [Dec 17, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
December 17th.

Julia | 118 comments Reading this in French right now, but willing to discuss it any- and all the time!

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Finished this last night. I know I did very early but I have to start preparing for my exams of this very important year. So I m going to take break from reading for some time.
This book was spellbounding. I spent 6,7 hours reading it. I m so happy to complete my first reading of this series.
Spoiler whole book.(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Aakash.

Good for you. You do what you need to do. Good luck with your exams.

By the way, O.W.L.S or N.E.W.T.S?

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Thanks. O.W.L.s

Graeme Rodaughan I've started this - 10% in.

Graeme Rodaughan Ch 11. (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Graeme wrote: "Ch 11. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan @Angela,

I figured that was where (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Beware - double spoiler ahead.

Ch 15. Whoops, (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Graeme wrote: "Beware - double spoiler ahead.

Ch 15. Whoops, [spoilers removed]."

Yeah, that always struck me as... odd. (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Kathrine wrote: "Yeah, that always struck me as... odd...."

Yeah, (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Graeme wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Yeah, that always struck me as... odd...."

Yeah, [spoilers removed]"

Exactly. It only gets seriously annoying when an author resolves every single conflict with one

Graeme Rodaughan Finished this book. I'll keep an eye open on this thread for conversations about the book.

Kathrine | 1246 comments I did really bad on an important maths test today, so I was thinking starting this one early for some comfort reading

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Katherine, hopefully it wasn't that bad ... but I know what you mean.

I failed year 11 math twice, and ended up teaching myself math in my early twenties. Now I work for a major tech company in Engineering and IT.

Yes, I think a bit of comfort reading makes sense. Just remember, any result can be recovered if you need to.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Graeme wrote: "Hi Katherine, hopefully it wasn't that bad ... but I know what you mean.

I failed year 11 math twice, and ended up teaching myself math in my early twenties. Now I work for a major tech company in..."

Thank you, Graeme – I actually don't know the result yet but I definitely didn't get the same answers as my classmates and I know mine aren't the correct ones ...

Wow, that's amazing that you taught it to yourself. I feel like it's an almost impossible task to accomplish on your own – happy to hear it is indeed possible, and that there's hope for the future, too! :D

Graeme Rodaughan :-).

Kathrine | 1246 comments Started the book yesterday and have some thoughts/questions about Harry's removal from Dursley home:

(view spoiler)

Also, I just got home from watching Crimes of Grindelwald and I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about it – not all of them good. Anyone else seen it and want to discuss? It is kinda relevant to Deathly Hallows, I guess?

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Finished yesterday ;)
Haven't watched crimes of grindelwald yet, but I'm planning to at some point.. no spoilers please :)
Re your spoiler, katherine
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Graeme (last edited Dec 08, 2018 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Graeme Rodaughan @Katherine. Early in chapter 4.

Mad-Eye explains: (view spoiler)

@Angela. Muggle Objects (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1132 comments Hey Katherine, if you need math help you could PM me and I can see if I can help at all. I was a math minor.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Graeme wrote: "@Angela. Muggle Objects."

(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Finished yesterday ;)
Haven't watched crimes of grindelwald yet, but I'm planning to at some point.. no spoilers please :)
Re your spoiler, katherine
i never thought about that... I don't really kn..."

@Angela Of course I won't spoil, don't worry :D Will mark everything as CoG spoilers in a spoiler tag if I do write anything spoilery.

@Angela and Graeme
About Harry moving again: (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hey Katherine, if you need math help you could PM me and I can see if I can help at all. I was a math minor."

Thank you for the offer, but I don't know if I could manage maths in another language. I do think I'm good at English, but math is already a whole nother language for me 😂 Thanks, though!

Graeme Rodaughan Kathrine wrote: "...."

WRT Harry's escape routes: (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Angela Jr. wrote: "..."

We could say that Voldemort was fixated on a few things - even fanatical...

Suggests a lack of adaptability that eventually became his undoing.

Graeme Rodaughan WRT Crimes of Grindlewald - saw that a week ago, No spoilers, I found the first half drifted for me, then it started to gather pace and focus and was stronger for it.

I'm a little underwhelmed by it.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Graeme wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "...."

WRT Harry's escape routes: (view spoiler)"

Yeah, I get that, but (view spoiler)

message 30: by Kathrine (last edited Dec 09, 2018 02:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Graeme wrote: "WRT Crimes of Grindlewald - saw that a week ago, No spoilers, I found the first half drifted for me, then it started to gather pace and focus and was stronger for it.

I'm a little underwhelmed by it."

CoG spoilery thoughts: (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I think (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Kathrine wrote: "Graeme wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "...."

Yeah, I get that, but [spoilers removed]"

I think that might have been a viable option as the ministry dictate was no portkeys inside Harrys house.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "I think [spoilers removed]"

But (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Kathrine wrote: "CoG spoilery thoughts:..."

All interesting points. The story did seem to lack a clear focus for me.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Graeme wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Graeme wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "...."

Yeah, I get that, but [spoilers removed]"

I think that might have been a viable option as the mi..."

I think it's probably just best not to think too much about it. The escape had to happen like this for plotty reason, and it was intense to read, so I'm fine with it

Graeme Rodaughan A good point Katherine.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Kathrine wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I think [spoilers removed]"

But [spoilers removed]"

Right, i forgot about that!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Angela. Yes, discussion reveals insights and a deeper appreciation.

Kathrine | 1246 comments I love to discuss books with other people, it really does add a lot to how the story is experienced

Graeme Rodaughan Being on this journey with you all has certainly made a real and positive difference to my enjoyment of reading.

And some people think reading is a solitary experience.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm really enjoying this! Considering this is one of my least favourite books in the series, it's been a great ride.

Some thoughts on Kreacher; Chapter 11 and 12 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments RE the events at Shell Cottage (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Listening to the start of chapter 31 now, scared to continue!

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm really enjoying this! Considering this is one of my least favourite books in the series, it's been a great ride.

Some thoughts on Kreacher; Chapter 11 and 12 [spoilers removed]"

Agree on everything you said about Kreacher. (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Just finished chapter 20 and (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Kathrine wrote: "Just finished chapter 20 and [spoilers removed]"

I read the book the day it came out - i remember harassing my mom to drive me to the bookstore first thing in the morning 😂
(view spoiler)

Re kreacher
(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I had loads of theories at the time though I can't remember a single one!

I was supposed to be studying for my GCSEs the day the book came out (final school exams in England) as my exams were only days away but instead I took the day off school and read this book. My bf sat next to me all day and he read his copy while I read mine. My mam wasn't happy when she came home and neither of us had eaten that day! Who needs food when you have HP??

Julia | 118 comments Already reading it in French! Just roughly past the part where Part 2 of the movie starts 😁

Julia | 118 comments Kathrine wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I think [spoilers removed]"

But [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, that part seemed weird to me, too. (I had completely forgotten he went there until this re-read--and it's my sixth re-read! 🤣) I mean, if it was a matter of Harry leaving the Dursleys, couldn't they have walked him over to Number 3 Privet Drive and a Portkey could be waiting there? And wouldn't the trace detect a Portkey?

« previous 1