Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > HP and the Half-Blood Prince [Nov 26, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
November 26th.

Hailee | 2612 comments Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows are the next ones I have to reread, I'm planning on getting to them in August as part of the NEWTS Readathon.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 685 comments I'm gonna be joining this one!

Julia | 118 comments I read it in French last year, so I won't be re-reading it, but I would love to be a part of some discussions here! :)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi all. I'm in

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Started today. Completed till Ch 9.
(view spoiler)
I m going to complete the remaining books a soon as possible becsause Harry and his friends have passed OWLs but mine are left(of course normal exams but OWLs would be far interesting than this.)

Graeme Rodaughan Aakash wrote: "Started today. Completed till Ch 9...."

Cool. I've finished Ch2.

message 8: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 17898 comments Mod
I'll hopefully catch up to you guys before the end of the month... I've been so behind on other reads, that I've let Harry Potter fall by the wayside, since the books are so long at this point... still want to finish a re-read tho... still need to read Order of the Phoenix...

message 9: by Aakash (last edited Nov 20, 2018 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Completed. It was very interseting book. Last one to go.
(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Aakash wrote: "Completed. It was very interseting book. Last one to go.
[spoilers removed]"

Hi Aakash - you raced through this one.

Graeme Rodaughan I'm 49% in.

Slughorn throws a party: (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Graeme wrote: "I'm 49% in.

Slughorn throws a party: [spoilers removed]"

I agree, (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Aakash wrote: "Completed. It was very interseting book. Last one to go.
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Gonna start this one tonight :)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Graeme wrote: "Aakash wrote: "Completed. It was very interseting book. Last one to go.
[spoilers removed]"

Hi Aakash - you raced through this one."

Well I completed Deathly Hallows last night. I was not very happy to complete it so early, I wanted to enjoy the books with you guys while discussing but I have to attent exams from monday so I dedicated all my time for few days to this books so I can get enough time to prepare for exam and also to complete my series.

Graeme Rodaughan :-). All good Askash. Cheers Graeme

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Andrew | 653 comments I'm gonna be late to the party. Still meandering through OotP and some others stuff. Probably will read something else between books, too.

message 20: by Angela Jr. (last edited Nov 25, 2018 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 1 ..."

Re chapter 1
(view spoiler)

Re chapter 2 (full series spoiler)
(view spoiler)

Julia | 118 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Chapter 1 ..."

Re chapter 1
Love this chapter for so many reasons! I especially love that we don't just see their present day interaction, we get to see all the ones fudge and the ..."

So true! When you think of how ANGRY Snape was when he confronted Sirius in Prisoner of Azkaban (thinking him to be the one who betrayed James and Lily--notice that this is one of the few times that Snape's speech went ALL CAPS), it is really interesting to see this dynamic come up with Wormtail!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments @Angela RE chapter 2 - I've never considered that before either! It must have been very difficult, good job he's an excellent actor.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Aakash wrote: "Started today. Completed till Ch 9.
."

I wasn't a massive fan of Slughorn at first either but he definitely grows on me. I love that (whole book spoilers) (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 9
(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Started this today.

About chapter 2: Does anyone know what the reactions were to the chapter when the book was first published? (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Also re: chapter 2 with Snape and Wormtail: (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments I personally was outraged when I read it, I wished evil things on Snape!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Chapter 23

(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Charlie wrote: "I personally was outraged when I read it, I wished evil things on Snape!"

Full series spoilers
(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments @Angela

I completely agree! (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Re: Snape: (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 685 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 1

Such a good chapter! I actually feel sorry for Fudge which is excellent writing considering I despised him last book.

Scrimgour is very condescending to the muggle PM. I think that's v..."

I liked that chapter too! So well done. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 685 comments Kathrine wrote: "Also re: chapter 2 with Snape and Wormtail: [spoilers removed]"

That's a cool theory, though I'm not sure (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 685 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 3
And we're back with Harry! I love being back at The Dursleys. It's a shame we don't get much time there honestly, I'll miss it.

The instructions from the ministry on how to protect your..."

Ikr? He is freaking hilarious

Graeme Rodaughan Charlie wrote: ".."

Scrimgour is not very likeable. Cops who become politicians can often be problematic.

Graeme Rodaughan Meagan wrote: "Starting tomorrow :)"

Cool.

Graeme Rodaughan Julia wrote: "So true! When you think of how ANGRY Snape was when he confronted Sirius in Prisoner of Azkaban (thinking him to be the one who betrayed James and Lily--notice that this is one of the few times that Snape's speech went ALL CAPS), it is really interesting to see this dynamic come up with Wormtail! ..."

That's a great pickup, and something I'd never considered before. Basically, on one level - Snape operates like a master spy.

Graeme Rodaughan Charlie wrote: "I wasn't a massive fan of Slughorn at first either but he definitely grows on me. I love that (whole book spoilers) [spoilers removed]"

Slughorn wants to be honorable. I suspect, he often mistakes being important for being honorable. But his openness to doing the right thing, even when it is difficult is present.

Graeme Rodaughan Angela Jr. wrote: "Chapter 9
[spoilers removed]"

Pre-brewed - I still think potions is more akin to cookery than anything else.

It's like, "Now here is a potion that I prepared earlier, and yours should decant from your cauldrons just so....(spoken with Julia Child's voice) with a marvelous lime-green sheen and a wonderfully rich coppery aroma."

message 41: by Graeme (last edited Nov 27, 2018 11:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan Kathrine wrote: "Started this today.

About chapter 2: Does anyone know what the reactions were to the chapter when the book was first published? [spoilers removed]"

I was surprised. I thought (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Charlie wrote: "@Angela

I completely agree! [spoilers removed]"

Indeed. You are absolutely right.

Graeme Rodaughan Kathrine wrote: "Also re: chapter 2 with Snape and Wormtail: [spoilers removed]"

@Katherine,

Does Voldemort know (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Graeme wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Also re: chapter 2 with Snape and Wormtail: [spoilers removed]"

@Katherine,

Does Voldemort know [spoilers removed]"

(full series spoilers) (view spoiler)

message 45: by Charlie (last edited Nov 28, 2018 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments @Graeme

I think Dumbledore explains to Harry (whole book spoilers)(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Maria wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Also re: chapter 2 with Snape and Wormtail: [spoilers removed]"

That's a cool theory, though I'm not sure [spoilers removed]"

This is full series spoilers, but (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished Ch. 3 and I was very entertained. Dumbledore had so much fun, hahaha

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Kathrine wrote: "Finished Ch. 3 and I was very entertained. Dumbledore had so much fun, hahaha"

He really enjoyed tormenting the Dursleys far too much! I love sassy Dumbledore.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 685 comments Graeme wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I wasn't a massive fan of Slughorn at first either but he definitely grows on me. I love that (whole book spoilers) [spoilers removed]"

Slughorn wants to be honorable. I suspect, h..."

That's a great take on it, I don't mind him much this time around. I only thought he was taking pride in his students, which is not a bad thing at all, until Dumbledore pointed out all his flaws to Harry.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished Ch. 4 and (full book spoilers) (view spoiler) Also I really don't like Slughorn as a person, but he's an entertaining character.

« previous 1 3