Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > HP and the Order of the Phoenix [Nov 5, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
November 5th.

message 2: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments OH MY GOD DO I SPY A GREAT HARRY POTTER RE_READ?
IN

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Sha wrote: "OH MY GOD DO I SPY A GREAT HARRY POTTER RE_READ?
IN"

haha I do believe that is indeed what you spy ;)

message 4: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm so excited!! I've wanted to do this for ages but I wasn't sure if anyone would want to do it, so glad people said yes!

message 5: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jun 26, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 17973 comments Mod
I might join in... I haven't read these in forever... I would be trying the audiobooks...

My grandma got me the first 2 when she came to visit from the UK in the 5th grade, I think... sat in my closet unread for 2 years before I started them and devoured them... was all caught up by the time the 4th released...

I had these editions: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling

I like how the BR pace slows down as the books balloon in size...

message 6: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I have only listened to the uk editions narrated by stephen fry, so I can't say anything about the american ones, but i enjoyed listening to them a lot. This is saying something, because i unfortunately have a pretty big aversion to audiobooks haha

message 7: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments I have those editions for the last three books. Books 1-3 I have the US editions with the chapter illustrations by Grandpré.
I have three copies of Book 4 😂😂😂
Happy you're re-reading with....

message 8: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I might be joining this one...with audio book! Which version should I listen to? Does the American version have an English accent too?

message 9: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Silvana wrote: "I might be joining this one...with audio book! Which version should I listen to? Does the American version have an English accent too?"

https://bookriot.com/2013/12/09/steph...

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Iain wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I might be joining this one...with audio book! Which version should I listen to? Does the American version have an English accent too?"

https://bookriot.com/2013/12/09/steph...-..."

thank you!
Stephen Fry it is.

message 11: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

I think I'll try to get the Stephen Fry version, as well, if I can... Jim Dale otherwise... sounds like they both have their merits...

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
For the record, Jim Dale is bomb.

Saar The Book owl | 2058 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm so excited!! I've wanted to do this for ages but I wasn't sure if anyone would want to do it, so glad people said yes!"

I wanted this too for very long, but never came up with the time. I'm so looking forward to do this!

message 14: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I don't like audio books in general but I LOVE the Stephen Fry narration of this series, it's just excellent!

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel | 1478 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "I have only listened to the uk editions narrated by stephen fry, so I can't say anything about the american ones, but i enjoyed listening to them a lot. This is saying something, because i unfortun..."

I'm not an audiobook reader, but I'm tempted by a Stephen Fry narration.

message 16: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Cheesy meme for @Angela Jr and @all who hate this b!tch...
(view spoiler)

Heh, sorry couldn"t resist!

message 17: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Hahahahaha thanks for making me laugh 😂

message 18: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan @Zarra - excellent.

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 653 comments Yikes, this is only a week away. HP is quickly taking over the majority of my reading time!

message 20: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I'm definitely in. Just finishing of TGoF and then WHAM!

message 21: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan 7% in. (Almost finished ch 3) Once again the byplay between the Dursleys and Harry is artfully done. It's very clever of JKR to start these books in Little Whinging and make it fresh each time.

message 22: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished GoF and I'm so excited to start OotP. These last three books (Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows) are such an amazing build-up to the climax: stories start to intertwine and I love how everything starts to connect.

message 23: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Alright, couldn't wait for Monday, so I started tonight.

Ch. 1: (view spoiler)

Ch. 2: (view spoiler)

Ch. 3: (view spoiler)

Ch. 4: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Graeme wrote: "7% in. (Almost finished ch 3) Once again the byplay between the Dursleys and Harry is artfully done. It's very clever of JKR to start these books in Little Whinging and make it fresh each time."

I just thought about this and I agree! Making each book revolve around a school year is great, because that means each story is contained but still connected to the overall story arc.

message 25: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Katherine, great comments.

message 26: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan 31% Umbridge is now on scene... which got me thinking...

CUT TO LOWEST LEVEL OF HELL

Satan: (Shrugs his broad shoulders, his great wings flaring behind him, and leans forward, his eyes narrowing with indignation) "I applied for the role of Prof. Dolores Umbridge, and what happened? They passed me over ... can you believe it? (Shakes head in bewilderment) You know what they said? (Snorts in disbelief, flames spurting from his nostrils, and shouts) ... I'M NOT EVIL ENOUGH! ... So, they gave it to her!

FADE OUT.

message 27: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I'm totally in love with this book.

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments I will admit that I never ever hated Snape. I was like 'whats wrong with this guy?' momentarily then I never cared much after because well, we have bigger problems like Dementors, Death Eaters and ofcourse the Dark Lord. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments @Kathrine
I started yesterday too, couldn't control myself! (view spoiler)

message 30: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments My initial thoughts:

Chapter 1 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 3, (view spoiler)

message 31: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "@Kathrine
I started yesterday too, couldn't control myself! [spoilers removed]"

Re: Dudley: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Aakash (new)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Started today. Completed ch1 and 2.
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Ch19 complete. (view spoiler) I'm sure that Prof. Umbridge dines on a plate of puppies every morning ... surely, she does!

message 34: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Graeme wrote: "Ch19 complete. [spoilers removed] I'm sure that Prof. Umbridge dines on a plate of puppies every morning ... surely, she does!"

She must do! There's something fundamentally wrong with her.

message 35: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 5 -
(view spoiler)

Chapter 6- (view spoiler)

message 36: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Chapter 22. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Aakash (new)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Completed 9 ch.
(view spoiler)

message 38: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Aakash wrote: "Completed 9 ch.
[spoilers removed]"

Hi Aakash, (view spoiler)

message 39: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Meagan wrote: "I've forgotten the visceral feelings that Umbridge leaves me with. The tension in this book is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

[spoilers removed]"

It's highly effective writing.

message 40: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments I'm here I'm here. I just slacked off for a week or so.
I been reading non stop all year, at a gradually increasing pace. Had my mates over and they kinda stayed...then we kept sleeping...went shopping...bought a lot of "rubbish" stuff = cute stuff but things I can live without...which I don't normally...did read two books this week tho'...
O...I am babbling.

Just started...

CH 1-3
CAREFUL! FULLBOOK
(view spoiler)

Good point, Graeme and Kath abt the structure of the transitions...now I will just catch up on all the comments here. God, there is so much!

message 41: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Is there anyone here, who, if they got the chance, regardless of the obvious dangers, would have loved to attended Hogwarts as a student?

message 42: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Graeme wrote: "Is there anyone here, who, if they got the chance, regardless of the obvious dangers, would have loved to attended Hogwarts as a student?"

Yes!!! Hogwarts was my dream as a kid and I'd still love to go now. I found myself on a Youtube binge last night watching old interviews with JK for a few hours and one of the things that kept coming up was the idea that Hogwarts has completely captured the imagination of millions of people all over the world from all different walks of like. The idea of going to a boarding school would horrify me in real life but i'd go to Hogwarts in an instant.

message 43: by Charlie (last edited Nov 09, 2018 02:53AM) (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Zaara wrote: "I'm here I'm here. I just slacked off for a week or so.
I been reading non stop all year, at a gradually increasing pace. Had my mates over and they kinda stayed...then we kept sleeping...went shop..."

Hey Zaara!
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Getting back to my thoughts on what I read last night:

Chapter 7,8,9 (view spoiler)

message 45: by Aakash (new)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Graeme wrote: "Is there anyone here, who, if they got the chance, regardless of the obvious dangers, would have loved to attended Hogwarts as a student?"

Come on Graeme it is not even a question. I would definitely loved to be Hogwarts. In school when I got bored I used my pen as wand and cast imaginary spells at my friends and teacher. I would have loved to play quidditch at hogwarts and my other favourite would be defence against dark arts and potions(if snape didn't taught.)😍

message 46: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Aakash wrote: "Graeme wrote: "Is there anyone here, who, if they got the chance, regardless of the obvious dangers, would have loved to attended Hogwarts as a student?"

Come on Graeme it is not even a question. ..."

Care of Magical Creatures and Charms would be my favourite subjects I think, followed by Transfiguration.

message 47: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Read a little more. Reached the end of CH 11 and decided to stop there.

Ch 6/FULLSERIES (view spoiler)

Ch 7 FULLSERIES (view spoiler)

Ch 9 SAFE, CAN OPEN (view spoiler)

Ch 10 SAFE, CAN OPEN (view spoiler)

CH 11 SAFE, CAN OPEN (view spoiler)

message 48: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Graeme wrote: "Is there anyone here, who, if they got the chance, regardless of the obvious dangers, would have loved to attended Hogwarts as a student?"

Yeah...that's all of us, man. It is such an immersive world, no? I don't even feel this (as much) for Roshar or Westeros...
My fave subject...Charms...potions...DEFFO Herbology.
Like I was saying, really love the lore too....so if it weren't for Binns I'd prolly do a Hermione and have read Hogwarts, a History.

message 49: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Up to chapter 23. Harry is losing his little mind thinking he (view spoiler)

message 50: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I'm just finishing off Silverthorn by Feist tonight, then I'm back into this book full time.

Charlie - you're absolutely right about Harry.

« previous 1 3