Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > HP and the Goblet of Fire [Oct 22, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
October 22nd.

Graeme Rodaughan Fantastic. This is a big book and I'll start tonight.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Started this tonight and I reaaally had to restrain myself from not reading too much.

Ch. 1: (spoilers for book 6)(view spoiler)

Ch. 2: (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Kathrine wrote: "Started this tonight and I reaaally had to restrain myself from not reading too much.

Ch. 1: (spoilers for book 6)I love this opening, it's so creepy and different from the other openings. It lay..."

I love the opening too! Book 6 spoilers
(view spoiler)

Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Completed till ch2. I have found new names in books.
(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments I'd forgotten how entertaining this book was. (Ch. 4)(view spoiler)

Ch. 5: (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Finished Ch 10. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Charlie (last edited Oct 23, 2018 01:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Glad everyone's enjoying so far!

I love being back at the Dursleys, even though they’re awful to Harry, I just really enjoy those scenes at the start of every book and I can't quite explain why. In the movies we don’t get much time there after the first 3 movies so I enjoy going back there in the books. (view spoiler)

Oh and I loved this bit from chapter 3: (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "Glad everyone's enjoying so far!

I love being back at the Dursleys, even though they’re awful to Harry, I just really enjoy those scenes at the start of every book and I can't quite explain why. I..."

For some reason, I really enjoy them too. The Dursleys are a part of Harry's story – a terrible part, but still... it wouldn't be the same without them, right? And I love how sassy Harry gets with the Dursleys from time to time!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments He really does! Having Sirius there as a threat makes him braver and I like it.

message 11: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Whaaaat...I'm ahead...how am I ahead? I thought loads of you will have finished/be almost done with this over the weekend. I didn't read much this weekend, except for a mediocre Deaver short. I'm in Ch 13.

CH 8 Quidditch World Cup
(view spoiler)

CH 12 SCHOOL FEAST/MOODY ENTRY
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I'm now at CH 13
Eloise Midgen trying to curse her pimples off/Bubotuber Pus
"Silly girl," said Professor Sprout, shaking her head. "But Madam Pomfrey fixed her nose back on in the end."
IRRELEVANT STORY, FEEL FREE TO SKIP
(view spoiler)

@Aakash @Ahdam @Andrew @Graeme (haha my mental alphabetical sorting is ON) still reading, right? Where've you guys reached?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Zaara wrote: "Whaaaat...I'm ahead...how am I ahead? I thought loads of you will have finished/be almost done with this over the weekend. I didn't read much this weekend, except for a mediocre Deaver short. I'm i..."

Archie and his muggle costume is one of my favourite things!!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments "i like a healthy breeze around my privates, thanks."

I would probably have reacted just like hermione in this situation 😂

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Zaara wrote,@Aakash @Ahdam @Andrew @Graeme (haha my mental alphabetical sorting is ON) still reading, right? Where've you guys reached?
Yeah I am reading and I will be till the end of series. I m not going to rush this time because I have to prepare for my upcoming examinations. Due to this loads of homework are given by Tutors😟. Still I will read at least 3 to4 ch a day.
I have completed till 6 ch.
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Graeme (last edited Oct 23, 2018 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan I find the Dursleys, cartoonish and exaggerated, but also quite entertaining in their piggish, spiteful, thuggishness.

message 17: by Graeme (last edited Oct 23, 2018 12:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan I'm in the middle of ch 12.

I'm starting to connect a few dots with regard to the Wizarding world and basically it sucks.

Noting that in the 'Fantastic Beasts,' movie Newt and Tina are sentenced to summary execution as a 'administrative function,' by Graves - no real charge, no jury, no trial, no appeal - that's pure state totalitarianism right there.

I'm finding the core characters are drawn with depth, and I'm particularly liking Hermione who at least has her eyes open to what is really going on, but even she is not seeing the big picture.

The way the Wizarding world operates, its basic culture, fosters the likes of Voldemort and his cronies. Voldemort's existence is a natural outcome of the Wizarding world.

I'm finding the secondary characters irksome, like Amos Diggory for example. They're just so 2-d shallow. JKR does this all the time - shallow cartoonish secondary characters.

It's annoying me.

Andrew | 653 comments Aakash wrote: "Zaara wrote,@Aakash @Ahdam @Andrew @Graeme (haha my mental alphabetical sorting is ON) still reading, right? Where've you guys reached?
Yeah I am reading and I will be till the end of series. I m..."

I've got about 7 chapters left, and should finish it either tomorrow or the day after. Really enjoying it, but I knew I would :)

Andrew | 653 comments Graeme wrote: "I'm in the middle of ch 12.

I'm starting to connect a few dots with regard to the Wizarding world and basically it sucks.

Noting that in the 'Fantastic Beasts,' movie Newt and Tina are sentenced..."

The totalitarian thing stuck out to me too. Group trials and sentencing, life sentences with dementors sucking the life out of you, and convictions based on hearsay........yeah, the justice system could use a little improvement

Graeme Rodaughan Meagan wrote: "I love the description of muggle clothes and how witches and wizards would struggle to know what went with what ie; the man in the floral night gown or tweed suit with thigh high galoshes. .."

Images. Inventive.

Graeme Rodaughan Andrew wrote: "The totalitarian thing stuck out to me too. Group trials and sentencing, life sentences with dementors sucking the life out of you, and convictions based on hearsay........yeah, the justice system could use a little improvement."

Indeed.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Their justice system definitely has issues and I think this is highlighted even further in book 5 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Bloody Snape! Harry desperately needs to find Dumbledore and snape is a sneering, interfering git. I think things could have turned out very differently if he hadn’t got in the way. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Aakash wrote: "Yeah I am reading and I will be till the end of series. I m..."

Hi Aakash...all the best with those exams but glad to see you're still with us...really enjoying your and Ahdam's commentary and updates....they're so genuine! Keep posting, please and welcome to FBR.

Graeme wrote: "I'm finding the secondary characters irksome,
It's annoying me. "

Niiiiiiiiiice...a rant from Graeme!
Haha @Bundoora's normally so easygoing and chill that its really very sweet refreshing when he gets all enraged about ideals and stuff.
Yea...I got kinda 'umbraged' about the justice and morality stuff too, but prematurely 😂😂😂 on an earlier thread so I won't repeat myself tiresomely here.

Andrew wrote: "I've got about 7 chapters left, and should finish it either tomorrow or the day after. Really enjoying it, but I knew I would :) "

Oooooo the last 7!
dunnnnn dundunnnndunn DUUUUUUUNNN...this is meant to be an *ominous drumroll* btw...
Here is (view spoiler)

Also, can y'all tell I am totally swept up by the combined mood of this series + fall +Halloween?
FULLBOOK, PLS BE CAREFUL NOOBS!
(view spoiler)

@Meagan...good point...yeah poor Harry...it must feel so jarring...

message 25: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments @all...reading update:
FULLSERIES
Awwwww 😘 Harry, Sirius (view spoiler)

Andrew | 653 comments Zaara wrote: "Aakash wrote: "Yeah I am reading and I will be till the end of series. I m..."

Hi Aakash...all the best with those exams but glad to see you're still with us...really enjoying your and Ahdam's com..."

That tiny Voldy picture is the stuff of nightmares!
Creepy creepy creepy

Andrew | 653 comments Finished, and it was as fantastic as I remembered it to be. One GAPING plot hole though that really really bugs me:

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 18078 comments Mod
Kathrine wrote: "I'd forgotten how entertaining this book was. (Ch. 4)[spoilers removed]

Ch. 5: The atmosphere of the Burrow is amazing; I so wanna visit it (but it's probably more due to the people than the place..."

For awhile I forgot that Harry's dream was hazey at best... (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments @Zaara

OMG the wooley bladders!!!! Hermione's crusade is adorable and well intentioned even if it isn't really appreciated by the elves.

@Andrew (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 32 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 33. (view spoiler)

Ending - (view spoiler)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Thanks Zaara.
I have completed till Ch 10. I think that from now I will read many missing contents in movies as the books are becoming large.
(view spoiler)

Andrew | 653 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 32 - [spoilers removed]

Chapter 33. [spoilers removed]

Ending - [spoilers removed]"

Regarding Chapter 33: (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Andrew wrote: ""

Yes! I totally see the comparison!

Aakash wrote: "Thanks Zaara.
I have completed till Ch 10."

I agree with your thoughts on Winky, Percy and Hermione. Winky's case is so tragic really as she clearly adores her master and he's just awful.

Graeme Rodaughan 37% in. In the midst of Chapter 16. (view spoiler)

There's a long setup in this book, as (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Charlie wrote: "I agree with your thoughts on Winky, Percy and Hermione. Winky's case is so tragic really as she clearly adores her master and he's just awful..."

Stockholm Syndrome?

Graeme Rodaughan Andrew wrote: "Regarding Chapter 33: [spoilers removed]"

I think it's actually hard to pull off a cliche like that and have it work. I'll have a look at it again once I reach that spot is this re-read.

Graeme Rodaughan Zaara wrote: "Niiiiiiiiiice...a rant from Graeme!
Haha @Bundoora's normally so easygoing and chill that its really very sweet refreshing when he gets all enraged about ideals and stuff...."

Ah ha, yes, indeed I do occasionally unfurl a righteous rant.

Graeme Rodaughan Charlie wrote: "Chapter 32 - [spoilers removed]

Chapter 33. [spoilers removed]

Ending - [spoilers removed]"

Re, Fudge (view spoiler)

message 39: by Graeme (last edited Oct 25, 2018 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Meagan

via < spoiler > to open and < / spoiler > to close without the whitespace.

Put any text you wish to hid between the 'tags,'

Use the '(preview)' button to the right of the 'Post' button to check your comment.

Graeme Rodaughan Sorted. :-).

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Graeme wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I agree with your thoughts on Winky, Percy and Hermione. Winky's case is so tragic really as she clearly adores her master and he's just awful..."

Stockholm Syndrome?"

I don't think so. I just think in general, house elves are predisposed to be fiercely loyal to their masters and they're pretty blind to their faults. Dobby being the exception of course, he knew exactly what kind of wizards the Malfoy's were.

RE Fudge: (spoilers for book 6) (view spoiler)

message 42: by Zaara (last edited Oct 27, 2018 09:15AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Andrew wrote: "Finished, and it was as fantastic as I remembered it to be. One GAPING plot hole though that really really bugs me:
[spoilers removed]"

Eh @Andrew...
I saw you
(view spoiler)

There! I shared my nonsensical musings only for your comfort/relief, bcuz I know how it feels to have that irritating book itch with the gaping plot hole in front of you and you can't do anything abt it. We all know the feeling...actually, it was a very good catch...like I say...I'd never thought of this.

+ Re the butterfly effect...
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Reading update: Almost the end now. Spent all day reading this.
I'm at CH 31 ~ The Third Taks
(view spoiler)

One other moment that kinda wrings you...
CH 27
(view spoiler)
Be done with this tonight.

message 44: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments All that was typed up day before yest. I'm done.
ENDBOOK SPOILS
(view spoiler)

@Charlie/@Andrew the one that always got my goat was in CH 25
(view spoiler)
Also, I too love the kitsch and melodrama of the old-fashioned James Bond altho' the latest few...

Graeme Rodaughan Gee, Zaara, lot's of great insights there.

I feel like I'm just sitting around reading this mindlessly in comparison. :-). LOL.

@Ch20.

I enjoy best the main characters. JKR draws them well, and she's good at making relationships explicit. I'd forgotten about (view spoiler)

My favorite concept at the moment is Blast-ended Skrewts. The vision of (view spoiler) was hilarious.

I think they'll get a mention in my review.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Completed CH 15
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Graeme wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I agree with your thoughts on Winky, Percy and Hermione. Winky's case is so tragic really as she clearly adores her master and he's just awful..."

Stockholm Syndrome?"

Ha, good one! 😂

Graeme Rodaughan Hitting this hard tonight - want to get it finished in time for some more buddy reads.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Aakash wrote: "Completed CH 15
[spoilers removed]"

The divination homework is excellent, had me laughing for ages!

message 50: by Graeme (last edited Oct 29, 2018 02:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan That's great Charlie,

I've been laughing a lot lately - the whole scenario around the 'Yule Ball,' has been a hoot.

« previous 1