Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban [Oct 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
October 15th.

Graeme Rodaughan Started this today - my apologies - I suffer from premature reading syndrome.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Hahaha
I'm going to start as soon as i finish my current audiobook! Only 1.5 hours to go.

Graeme Rodaughan Cool.

I'm in (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments That’s never a bad thing @Graeme 😅

message 6: by Andrew (last edited Oct 11, 2018 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrew | 653 comments I read Prisoner of Azkaban last week Graeme, so you're not alone. I was the first to start Philosopher's Stone and I'll probably be the last to finish Deathly Hallows. I enjoy taking a break btwn books which means I have to start Book 1 early and finish the final book late, regardless of series.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Started this just now. Completed CH 1. I now realized that what I was missing. I checked the upcoming books were quite long. So I think that I have many new stories to discover. In POA I loved the first chapter.
(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan That's great Aakash. I'm enjoying this too. I last read the books nearly 20 years ago.

message 9: by Angela Jr. (last edited Oct 13, 2018 05:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Spoilers up to chapter 7
(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Just finished chapter 8.

Hippogriffs, animagi, boggarts, spellotape, the world building is one of the most powerful features of this series. JKR has an excellent capability to make the extraordinary seem perfectly reasonable - and that's part of her charm as an author.

Feeling a bit sorry for Harry (view spoiler)

There are quite a few characters that are not all of what they seem in this book, but it is a consistent technique in the early books for characters to appear to be one thing, while being something else entirely - especially for the bad guys like Quirrell and Lockhart.

message 11: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Here in a couple days....the 16th...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 4! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Also I freaking loved this bit! (view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments Read this on a business trip! :)))
Gosh... HP's relations getting deeper and you just can't resist feeling both happy and sad for him.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Completed till CH4.
(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Started this today. This book is probably my favorite of all the HP books. When I was 12-13 years old, I struggled a lot with painful migraines and because I couldn't read when having the migraine attacks, my mom went to the library and got audiobooks for me. This is the book she often brought home and I remember listening to it on repeat for days.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 4! [spoilers removed]"

I absolutely love this chapter as well. (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Meagan wrote: "About halfway through. I absolutely love Lupin."

I absolutely hate Snape at this point - the way he attempts to 'out,' Lupin is appalling.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Kathrine wrote: "

I absolutely love this chapter as well. [spoilers removed]"

I'm a huge shopper so I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Aakash wrote: "Completed till CH4.
[spoilers removed]"

It's definitely great to see Harry having some fun for a change! I like the Knight Bus too, Stan is a great conductor.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 8 - (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Charlie - an excellent point.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 8 - [spoilers removed]"

Some of the practices at hogwarts are ... peculiar, but what they allow snape is just despicable

Angela Jr. | 995 comments And regarding dumbledore... Spoilers whole series
(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan From that perspective. A raging plot hole.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Dumbledore: (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 11 and spoilers whole series
(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Chapter 11 and spoilers whole series
[spoilers removed]"

Woah, that's pretty cool! I wonder if that was intentional or just a happy coincidence?

message 28: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Graeme wrote: "@Zarra.
I wonder if Marge Dursley and Prof Umbridge might be secretly related, perhaps with a touch of troll in their ancestry."

Heh this comment of @Graeme's made me smile ☺️ so thought I'd transcribe it here...
Give it a rightful place of Gloaarrryy on the Book 3 thread.

Started....just finished reading the Marge chapter.
WHAT a w!tch...I guess we've all known/met/come across this type of person...which is why she is such a memorable cameo tho' she was in only one scene.

@Graeme...deffo a touch of troll!
😜

message 29: by Angela Jr. (last edited Oct 16, 2018 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Kathrine wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "Chapter 11 and spoilers whole series
[spoilers removed]"

Woah, that's pretty cool! I wonder if that was intentional or just a happy coincidence?"

I think/hope it was intentional! It would be such a cool Easter egg :)

Spoilers whole series
Just like the (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Spoilers whole series
Just like the (view spoiler) "

My mind was blown when I re-read the series for the first time and I got to that place in OotP. (spoilers for entire series) (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Chapter 6: (view spoiler)

Chapter 7: (view spoiler)

Chapter 8: (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Kathrine wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "Spoilers whole series
Just like the (view spoiler) "

My mind was blown when I re-read the series for the first time and I got to that place in OotP. (spoilers for entire series)..."

True, but (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Angela Jr. wrote: "Chapter 11 and spoilers whole series
[spoilers removed]"

Whoa - great spot.

Graeme Rodaughan Zaara wrote: "Heh this comment of @Graeme's made me smile ☺️ so thought I'd transcribe it here...Give it a rightful place of Gloaarrryy on the Book 3 thread...."

Cheers.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "True, but (view spoiler)"

True! I think it's like that a lot. (view spoiler)

message 36: by Angela Jr. (last edited Oct 16, 2018 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Kathrine wrote: "Chapter 6: [spoilers removed]

Chapter 7: [spoilers removed]

Chapter 8: [spoilers removed]"

Totally agree with the hermione thing.
(view spoiler)

Spoilers end of book
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Spoilers whole series

Continuation from my second spoiler above
(view spoiler)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Completed CH 7 just now.(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Chapter 6: [spoilers removed]

[spoilers removed]

Spoilers end of book
[spoil..."

Yes exactly! (view spoiler)

Re: spoilers for end of book: (view spoiler)

message 40: by Angela Jr. (last edited Oct 16, 2018 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Kathrine wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Chapter 6: [spoilers removed]

[spoilers removed]

Spoilers..."

End of book spoilers
(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "End of book spoilers
(view spoiler) "

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Ahdam (last edited Oct 17, 2018 05:53AM) (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Ok I will be starting this later in the week but I am very excited to get into this book

Mainly because the film version is one of my favourite films out of all the Harry Potters and I recently found out that it was directed by one of my favourite directors Alfonso Cuaron who directed other films like The Little Princess, Children Of Men and Gravity so this book must be good if it is anything like the films

Also I managed to find a copy of the POA at home since I remembered there being one and I do like the cover of it despite being written on

description

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments I completed till CH 11.
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Angela Jr. (last edited Oct 17, 2018 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Aakash wrote: "I completed till CH 11.
[spoilers removed]"

Hey, your thoughts contain spoilers for the end of this book and also something from book 7. You should mention that in your comment, just in case someone who doesn't know the story opens your spoiler... 🤗

Graeme Rodaughan Ahdam wrote: "Ok I will be starting this later in the week but I am very excited to get into this book

Mainly because the film version is one of my favourite films out of all the Harry Potters and I recently f..."

Hi Ahdam, I have the exact same copy.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Chapter 10: (spoilers for end of book 3 and possibly later books) (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Of the three books I've read (re-read) this is the one I enjoyed the most.

My review is at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Angela wrote,"Hey, your thoughts contain spoilers for the end of this book and also something from book 7. You should mention that in your comment, just in case someone who doesn't know the story opens your spoiler...”
I am sorry for that but I think that every participant here has read or have at least watch movie. But I will keep it that in mind from now.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Completed 13 CH.
(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Kathrine wrote: "Chapter 10: (."

The map is one of my all time favourite magical objects for sure!

« previous 1 3