Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > HP and the Chamber of Secrets [Oct 8, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 165 (165 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
October 8th.

Graeme Rodaughan I expect to be here.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I’ll definitely be reading this and this time I’ll try not to Juno I’m too early 😂😂

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Starting this one today!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

Spoilers for chapter 3 i think
(view spoiler)

Spoilers for rest of book
(view spoiler)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 709 comments I'll definitely be in on this one! Almost done with the first book!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 3
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Angela Jr. (last edited Oct 02, 2018 02:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Still chapter 3
(view spoiler)

Spoilers for rest of series
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Andrew (last edited Oct 02, 2018 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrew | 653 comments The first time I read this series, Chamber of Secrets was my least favorite book and was the only non-5* read for me. I just finished it up again a couple weeks ago (yeah, I know I'm a 'cheater' acording to the schedule but I prefer to space out books in a series) and my rating stayed the same.

Some non-spoilery general thoughts:
-I feel that Rowling takes too much time trying to reexplain the world and give the cliff notes version of what happened in Book 1. Perhaps because she's trying to summarize the happenings of the previous book for the convenience of new readers, she falls into the trap of telling rather than showing.
-One of the great things about this series is that the stories never seem to have a "mid-book lull." They are compelling cover-to-cover.
-The grand finale felt rushed. I wish she would have shifted some of her word count from the opening few chapters to the last couple chapters.

Spoilery Thought:
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Good LORD, lockhart makes me cringe so much

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Andrew wrote: "The first time I read this series, Chamber of Secrets was my least favorite book and was the only non-5* read for me. I just finished it up again a couple weeks ago (yeah, I know I'm a 'cheater' ac..."

Regarding your spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Zaara (last edited Oct 04, 2018 06:18AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Jessica wrote: "I'll definitely be in on this one! Almost done with the first book!"

Hi Jessica! Good to be reading with you again. Been a while!

Meagan wrote: "I’ll be starting this one on time. I just finished the philosophers stone and will be taking this one away with me on vacation. What a great way to spend a trip :)"

This. Enjoy your vacation, Meagan.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 709 comments Zaara wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I'll definitely be in on this one! Almost done with the first book!"

Hi Jessica! Good to be reading with you again. Been a while!

Meagan wrote: "I’ll be starting this one on time...."

Thanks Zaara! Good to be reading with you again too. I've really been missing the book talk, so I'm excited to start reading more buddy read books again

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments This time I am going to start this on time. No hurry. Still eagerly waiting for 8 october.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

Spoilers for book 3
(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Started this last night. Love (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 14
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 17 and spoilers for book 6
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Graeme (last edited Oct 05, 2018 11:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Graeme Rodaughan @Angela Jr.

(view spoiler)

Actually I find this bit kinda annoying. REF: (view spoiler) It's such a cliche.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 18
(view spoiler)

Movie spoilers for chamber of secrets
(view spoiler)

Spoilers for whole series
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Graeme wrote: "@Angela Jr.

[spoilers removed]

Actually I find this bit kinda annoying. REF: [spoilers removed] It's such a cliche."

You're probably right. Phoenixes aren't that common after all...

(Spoilers whole series bc i don't remember which book reveals this)
It's sort of funny how (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments And re the gloating: i usually don't mind it, if it's well done.
Idk if there's anyone else here who watched bbc sherlock but moriarty's gloating, for example, is my favourite thing ever 😂

Angela Jr. | 995 comments My favourite used to be phoenix for a long time, but then it changed to deathly hallows! I've never thought about my least favourite, but it would have to be chambet of secrets too, i guess 🤗

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I’ll be starting this one I’ve finished my current read so not long now but I’ve got to catch up quite a bit

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Plan changed. I would start this tomorrow (I know I said to start at 8 but now I cannot contain my excitement). Hope it turned out to be as good as movie.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Finally I started. Ch 1 finished. I don't know why Dursley's don't like Harry and magic. I think everybody wants to believe in magic and do something different.
My thoughts on CH 1
(view spoiler)

message 28: by Graeme (last edited Oct 07, 2018 02:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Graeme Rodaughan 39% in. Gilderoy Lockhart is a classic narcissistic personality disorder personality with substantial participation in the standard psychopath traits. Otherwise, he's a bit of a laugh. (Basically a complete prat).

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Ch 4 completed. Whoa this is the coolest Ch till now. Reasons in spoiler.
(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Started reading this yesterday. It's my least favorite HP book (I accidentally skipped it last year on my re-read of the series and didn't even notice until I was halfway through PoA) but I'm excited to read it anyway

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Started this yesterday, I'm going to go read everyone's thoughts now :)

My thoughts so far for chapters 1-8 (view spoiler)

message 32: by Charlie (last edited Oct 08, 2018 02:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Angela Jr. wrote:
Spoilers for chapter 3 i think
[spoilers removed]

I love (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. wrote: "Good LORD, lockhart makes me cringe so much"
He's just useless in all the best ways, always good for a laugh. I think Kenneth Branagh portrayed him perfectly in the movie honestly.

Graeme wrote: "Started this last night. Love [spoilers removed]"
He tries so hard bless him! His efforts probably do more harm than good I think.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Aakash wrote: "Finally I started. Ch 1 finished. I don't know why Dursley's don't like Harry and magic. I think everybody wants to believe in magic and do something different.
My thoughts on CH 1
[spoilers removed]"

RE the Dursleys, Petunia's hate for magic is explained in later books ( so I won't spoil it) and I think Vernon was just supporting his wife by being equally disdainful. I agree that book Harry is way better than movie Harry. He's so sassy and sharp sometimes.

Aakash wrote: "Ch 4 completed. Whoa this is the coolest Ch till now. Reasons in spoiler.
[spoilers removed]"

I absolutely loved (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 13 - (spoilers for the rest of the book) (view spoiler)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Right now tat I’ve finished my previous read I’ll make a stayer on this in a few hours

Can’t wait to read this since you guys are going crazy with the first BR

Graeme Rodaughan Charlie wrote: "Chapter 13 - (spoilers for the rest of the book) [spoilers removed]"

Spot on Charlie, just up to the last chapter now and I didn't connect that dot.

Graeme Rodaughan Finished. 4 stars. Review at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments @graeme I'd never noticed it before! I love discovering new things all these years later, it keeps the magic alive.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 16 - (view spoiler)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Right I've started reading again and I'm hooked once more so far I am up to chapter 4 so I'm making good progress and I will be catching up soon. I'm looking forward to see what this book is like from someone who hasn't read the books :) :)

Chapter 4 spoilers:

(view spoiler)

That is it for now I look forward to read this with you guys now that I've started on time for once

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Ahdam wrote: "Right I've started reading again and I'm hooked once more so far I am up to chapter 4 so I'm making good progress and I will be catching up soon. I'm looking forward to see what this book is like f..."

Glad you seem to be enjoying it Ahdam!

RE the burrow (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm finished! I loved the ending, I was rooting for Dobby! I think (view spoiler)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Ch 11 completed.
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I'm here but I'm making no noise and pretending I'm not there :D
CH 2
(view spoiler)
And may I say I really love Grandpré's flyleaf or is it coverpage? illustrarion for this one...the entrance to the Chamber.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Chapter 6 completed.

(view spoiler)

And once again I'm amazed by Rowling's ability to come up with entertaining names that sound like they fit perfectly in the wizarding world. Spellotape got a chuckle out of me.

Graeme Rodaughan Charlie wrote: "I'm finished! I loved the ending, I was rooting for Dobby! I think [spoilers removed]"

I found the ending a little rushed too, especially when compared with the movie (although perhaps that's chalk and cheese).

Graeme Rodaughan Kathrine wrote: "Chapter 6 completed.

[spoilers removed]

And once again I'm amazed by Rowling's ability to come up with entertaining names that sound like they fit perfectly in the wizarding world. Spellotape got..."

Spellotape - that's a great pick up. I read 'sellotape,' - just goes to show how unobservant I am.

Graeme Rodaughan Zaara wrote: "I'm here but I'm making no noise and pretending I'm not there :D
CH 2 .."

Yeah, the little fella is a class act.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments For those who've seen the movie, what does everyone think of movie Lockhart vs book Lockhart? I think Kenneth Branagh freaking nailed it. He's exactly how I imagined him, all his mannerisms are just perfect.

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Charlie. Exactly. I kept seeing KB when I was reading about Lockhart.

« previous 1 3 4