Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > HP and the Philosopher's Stone [Oct 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 208 (208 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
October 1st.

(HP and the Sorcerer's Stone if you're American)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Ooh maybe

Emily (ematthews050) Will defo be joining for this!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Sorry but I bought the book today and was curious and I’m already 5 chapters in and I’m really liking it

This may be blasphemy but there are parts where I prefer the film version mainly for getting rid of the unnecessary details it’s interesting in the book but for a film not so much

But I’ve still got a long way to go so I might be wrong

Andrew | 653 comments Ahdam wrote: "Sorry but I bought the book today and was curious and I’m already 5 chapters in and I’m really liking it

This may be blasphemy but there are parts where I prefer the film version mainly for getti..."

The Harry Potter films are fanastic! You'd be hard pressed to find a better big screen adaptation of a bestselling book series. It's still amazing to me how well the movies capture the whimsy and wonder of the written stories; the soul of the books perfectly translate onto the screen.

All that being said...I still think I like the books better, but just barely. :)

message 6: by Charlie (last edited Aug 30, 2018 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments The books for me will always be my favourite, because they're just so detailed. Especially in later books, there's so much the films miss out that I feel are important details. That being said, the films are excellent and I love them. Especially PS, it's just perfect and really captures the magic.

@Ahdam I hope you love it!! I'm so tempted to join you and start early but I'm going to resist or I know I'll end up reading the full series and neglecting all my other books.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Finished and I really enjoyed this I love all the details the film missed and I’m surprised how easy it was (it’s a children’s book so yeah) although like many books I do have my issues but most of them might stem from it being a children’s book

Despite this I still enjoy the films since 1) I love films 2) I understand why they had to cut some of the stuff out because let’s be honest there were a lot of antics involved without much progression also this is a first of the series and you can’t really waste any time with all this stuff and reading this book made me love the films even more how they adapted this bundle of joy into an hour and a half film (I bet the filmmakers didn’t expect the film to do so well)

Anyway 5/5 from me this time I’ll wait for the buddy read to start 😂😂😂😂

message 8: by Angela Jr. (last edited Sep 23, 2018 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Going to start a week early tomorrow, since I'm desperate for a comfort read :)
@ahdam: I'm a militant "the book is better"-person, but when it comes to the harry potter adaptations, i really have to hand it to the filmmakers. The casting is phenomenal, and like andrew said - they perfectly captured the whimsy of the world!

I also agree with charlie though, especially in the later books the films (by necessity) leave out a lot of important details, that show how intricately the story is woven together. You "get the gist" from the films, but you by absolutely no means get the whole picture.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Currently in the middle of chapter 5, diagon alley, which is one of my favourite chapters in the whole series!
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Meagan wrote: "I'll be taking mine on a cruise when I go away next week. Super excited and looking forward to it."

A cruise sounds awesome! Where are you going?

Angela Jr. | 995 comments End of chapter 5 (and some minor spoilers for half-blood prince)
(view spoiler)

Andrew | 653 comments Meagan wrote: "I'll be taking mine on a cruise when I go away next week. Super excited and looking forward to it."

Have you cruised before? I've been on three and THEY ARE WONDERFUL. One of my favorite ways to vacation.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Currently in the middle of chapter 5, diagon alley, which is one of my favourite chapters in the whole series!
[spoilers removed]"

This is my favourite chapter in the entire series for this reason. it's so magical and I definitely feel all the wonder that Harry does.

Kathrine | 1246 comments My school is hosting a Harry Potter movie marathon tomorrow, so I started this book today as a warm-up. I've been waiting all year for Fall to arrive, because I always re-read the series around this time and through Christmas, so this buddy-read is absolutely perfect!

I'd almost forgotten how un-complicated the story is in the beginning. Sure there is some dark stuff, but the writing is so light and fluffy. It's the perfect book to read all cozy under a blanket with hot tea, and rain pouring down outside :D

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Kathrine wrote: "My school is hosting a Harry Potter movie marathon tomorrow, so I started this book today as a warm-up. I've been waiting all year for Fall to arrive, because I always re-read the series around thi..."

I hope you enjoy it! My yearly reread of HP is one of my favourite parts of the autumn season.

message 16: by Kathrine (last edited Sep 26, 2018 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "I hope you enjoy it! My yearly reread of HP is one of my favourite parts of the autumn season."

Thank you! Me too, I've been itching to start reading for the last two months. I've been reading some rather heavy stuff lately, so it's a relief to return to Hogwarts and its familiarity. It's like coming home after a long and weary travel

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Oh man, I envy you guys. Alas I’ve some challenges that I committed myself to complete this year. So, I can’t join you guys for a rereading of HP. Perhaps, some other time in the future. Or I need (view spoiler). Just in case, there’s actually a Potter newbie here. Don’t wanna spoil something.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Who? 😂😂😂

Yeah I see a lot of talk on future books so if you could conform to my standards as the new guy that would be much appreciated 😂😂😂

message 19: by Angela Jr. (last edited Sep 26, 2018 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Just finished chapter 12 the mirror of erised
(view spoiler)
Especially (spoilers for book #3 prisoner of azkaban, #5 order of the phoenix and #7 deathly hallows) (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Ahdam wrote: "Who? 😂😂😂

Yeah I see a lot of talk on future books so if you could conform to my standards as the new guy that would be much appreciated 😂😂😂"

I'm always extra careful about spoilers, because i hate nothing more than having a good story spoiled for me... I even put minor spoilers in tags, just to make 10000% sure i don't accidentally ruin the book for other people 😂

It's super fun re-reading any series with people who know the whole story already though, especially when it's one you love :)

message 21: by Angela Jr. (last edited Sep 26, 2018 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Chapter 13 nicolas flamel
(view spoiler)
By the way, even though ron is definitely not my favourite character, i love his sense of humour. And i love grint's portrayal of him in the movies - the facial expressions and the comedic timing are priceless 🤣
Regarding ron (spoilers for the whole damn series) (view spoiler)

message 22: by Angela Jr. (last edited Sep 26, 2018 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Beginning of chapter 15 the forbidden forest
(view spoiler)
Quidditch
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Angela Jr. (last edited Sep 26, 2018 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Also apologising in advance for the whole series read, but I'm really not gonna be able to stop myself from ceaselessly rambling at you... and probably a lot about pointless tiny details as well... I've never buddy read or talked about the series with anyone and my inner nerd is jumping up and down from excitement 😂

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Keep rambling Angela! I'm enjoying reading your thoughts! I love to hear other people gush about HP!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Yeah I should be rambling if I didn’t start this a month early but I’ll have a look later on 😂😂😂

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments I was exited for HP1 so I started today but I'm confused should I read Hp series because I have seen the movie. Any suggesstions?

Andrew | 653 comments Aakash wrote: "I was exited for HP1 so I started today but I'm confused should I read Hp series because I have seen the movie. Any suggesstions?"

Yes! I saw the movies first also, and now love both.

Believe it or not, I was in late elementary school when the Harry Potter books started coming out, but somehow didn't read them or see any of the movies until many years later after getting married. My wife is a Harry Potter fan and made me watch the movies, and I'm so glad she did. I then decided to read the books myself.

Reading the books gave me a greater appreciation for the movies. It's hard to bring a book to life on screen, and even harder when it's a beloved best-seller known throughout the world. Even if you got nothing else out of reading the series, I think it will make you enjoy the films more the next time you watch them. Also, the latter half of the series does get somewhat complex, and it just isn't possible to squash so much detail into a 2 hour movie. The last three or four books give a lot of supplemental info that is worth digging into if you're a fan of the films.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Aakash wrote: "I was exited for HP1 so I started today but I'm confused should I read Hp series because I have seen the movie. Any suggesstions?"

There's a lot more detail in the books than the movies so it's definitely worth reading the books even if you've seen the movies.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 444 comments Thanks Charlie and Andrew for suggestion. I am going to read the whole series.

Graeme Rodaughan I'll join in on this read.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments I'm listening on audio and reading the illustrated edition at the same time :)

Chapter 1 - Wonderful start as always! JK really manages to capture the essence of the Dursleys in chapter 1. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Angela Jr. (last edited Sep 30, 2018 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments The illustrated editions must be so beautiful! I'm planning on waiting until they've all been released and then asking for them as a gift :)
I love the sentence right at the beginning
(view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm listening on audio and reading the illustrated edition at the same time :)

Chapter 1 - Wonderful start as always! JK really manages to capture the essence of the Dursleys in chapter 1. [spoil..."

I agree about what you said about (spoilers for first few chapters) (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Fun and uninteresting fact:
Since english is not my native language, the first time i read this series was in german. But when deathly hallows came out, i was old (and definitely impatient) enough to read it in english. I didn't even think about waiting for the translation to come out, i just had to know what happened!
That was the first foreign book, outside of school, that i read in its original language and i haven't looked back since :)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "The illustrated editions must be so beautiful! I'm planning on waiting until they've all been released and then asking for them as a gift :)

The illustrated editions make such excellent gifts! The first three were released in Fall, so I got one for Christmas every year the last three years, and I loved it every time. They are absolutely gorgeous and captures the essence of the world perfectly.

Has anyone heard anything about the illustrated Goblet of Fire? I can't seem to find any news on its release date

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Aaand another fun and uninteresting story:
When i was a kid, my family used to go to the same place every year for summer vacation. I don't remember how old i was, probably 8 or 9, but one year i hung out with some girl the whole time and it was actually her mother who introduced me to harry potter. She would tell us the story of philosopher's stone bit by bit every day and i was hooked right there!
And the story i just told you about deathly hallows in my previous comment happened during exactly the same summer vacation many years later 😂

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Kathrine wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "The illustrated editions must be so beautiful! I'm planning on waiting until they've all been released and then asking for them as a gift :)

The illustrated editions make such ..."

I think they would be excellent for reading to children! I keep imagining myself reading them to my kids one day... And i don't even own them yet. Or have kids 😂

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Kathrine wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "The illustrated editions must be so beautiful! I'm planning on waiting until they've all been released and then asking for them as a gift :)

The illustrated editions make such ..."

I've received the first three as christmas gifts too but I haven't seen a date for book 4 yet.

Angela Jr. wrote: "Fun and uninteresting fact:
Since english is not my native language, the first time i read this series was in german. But when deathly hallows came out, i was old (and definitely impatient) enough ..."

I actually have a latin, 1st edition of this book... I don't know what possessed me to buy a book in a dead language but it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Kathrine wrote: "

Me too, there's things I'm noticing as an adult that are really worrying. Keeping (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. wrote: "The illustrated editions must be so beautiful! I'm planning on waiting until they've all been released and then asking for them as a gift :)
I love the sentence right at the beginning
"mr and mrs d..."

Those sentences definitely sum them up! They're just awfully unpleasant people.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Chapter 2 - (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "I think they would be excellent for reading to children! I keep imagining myself reading them to my kids one day... And i don't even own them yet. Or have kids 😂"

Omg, me too! Like, I'm nowhere near having kids, and yet I imagine sitting down with them and reading to them and showing them the illustrations...?

But I guess that's the power of Harry Potter: they're stories meant to be shared, treasured with others

message 41: by Kathrine (last edited Sep 30, 2018 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "I've received the first three as christmas gifts too but I haven't seen a date for book 4 yet."

I just googled, and it looks like it'll be released sometime in 2019. It makes sense, I guess, 'cause it's a huge book – and Order of the Phoenix is even bigger. Guess we won't get them for Christmas every year in the future hahaha

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Chapter 3 - (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Just completed chapter five. (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan @Charlie: I thought it was wonderful how JKR would have Vernon (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hagrid is better in the book, than the movie.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Chapter 4 - Yay Hagrid!! He's one of my all time favourite characters! Harry is finally going to escape the Dursleys!

Chapter 5 - This is one of my favourite chapters in not only this book but the entire series. Diagon Alley is the heart of all the wonder and magic in Harry Potter. When JK describes all the shops and their fantastical contents, I can imagine it all so vividly. There's just something so genuinely wonderous about it all.

Graeme Rodaughan It's amazing how JKR gets a whole chapter out of delivering a letter to Harry.

(view spoiler)

Noting that Vernon's obsession has nothing to do with caring about Harry's welfare, and everything to do with his own denial of value in the "Other World," and underlying terror of something over which he has no control. His own world is built from regularity, and certainty, each day is to be like one of the drills coming off his assembly line. The same as the day before - no surprises, nothing new or novel - and nothing unexpected.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments It's definitely a unique chapter. I really enjoyed watching Vernon unravel.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4549 comments Chapter 6 - (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Charlie, loving it too. Just finished chapter 8. No spoilers are necessary as it's mystery piled on top of mystery at the moment.

« previous 1 3 4 5