Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
This topic is about The Poppy War
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Poppy War [Nov 12, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
R.F. Kuang's The Poppy War starting November 12th.

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

In! Super excited about this read :)

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Usually there's certain people that if we both 5* it the book is terrific. In this case it's Petrik and I. I hope you both enjoy it as much as both of us did.

message 5: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yanique Gillana | 1011 comments Mod
I’m here for this!!! November gives me enough time to get my hands on a copy.

message 6: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1768 comments I'm a maybe. Trying not to overbook and derail myself again.

message 7: by Kirin (new) - added it

Kirin I'm in!

Solseit | 1460 comments I am in!!

message 9: by Kemi (new) - added it

Kemi Sounds great! I’m in

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments I'm in as well. Thanks to Amazon sale =).

message 11: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Yay for Amazon sales! I'm in too :-)

message 12: by Rose☆ (new) - added it

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments I'm in!

message 13: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Vermillion (mcmillion) | 1 comments I’m in!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I'm going to try to reread this one with you guys!! I loved it and have it 5 stars when it came out! 😊

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments I was planning to start this a couple of days earlier and maybe read 40-50 pages during my 1-hour flight.

My plan failed. I sat down on the plane, opened my kindle and tore through 25% of the book by the time my flight landed. OMFG, what a start to the book. I can understand why so many people are so positive on this book. Fantastic story so far. Memorable characters, especially Jiang hahah. I’m afraid I’ll finish this book far too quickly!

message 16: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barry wrote: "I was planning to start this a couple of days earlier and maybe read 40-50 pages during my 1-hour flight.

My plan failed. I sat down on the plane, opened my kindle and tore through 25% of the boo..."

Great to hear!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Barry wrote: "I was planning to start this a couple of days earlier and maybe read 40-50 pages during my 1-hour flight.

My plan failed. I sat down on the plane, opened my kindle and tore through 25% of the boo..."

Yay!!

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments 40% in.

Really like the pacing here. Quite a bit of time has passed since the beginning of the book. And there are always stuff happening that move the plot along, unlike another fantasy book with a poor but brilliant and somewhat cocky attitude student as the main character, and an eccentric master of magic in the university as the main supporting character.

Yes, I find there are a few similarities between this book and the Kingkiller’s Chronicles. I guess this is Kingkiller’s Chronicles if Rothfuss could ever write with much much faster pacing, without too much fuss on the money problem. There are some striking similarities between the two main characters and their favorite masters as well as the supposed subject that the masters teach in each book.

The 12 provinces
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Barry wrote: "40% in.

Really like the pacing here. Quite a bit of time has passed since the beginning of the book. And there are always stuff happening that move the plot along, unlike another fantasy book with..."

This sounds great, Barry! I can't wait to start - sadly I'm going to be a little late for this one, but will enjoy following everyone's comments in the meantime :-)

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 17906 comments Mod
"Little"... I'm like 6 BRs behind schedule

message 21: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Timelord Iain wrote: ""Little"... I'm like 6 BRs behind schedule"

Haha - the cracking rate at which you read, I reckon it's possible that you could still start this before me :-)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Around 50%

Sorry guys, I’m really tearing through the book. It’s really engrossing. At this rate I may finish it by tomorrow lol. I hope I’m not jinxing it, but this has the potential to be one of the best books I’ve ever read. Period.

Jiang
(view spoiler)

The Empress
(view spoiler)

@ Iain May start a book late, but he could finish it earlier than the rest of us haha.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I'm hoping to make it! I'll be a bit late... but before my library ebook expires in 16 days!

message 24: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

I will also be a bit late, but I am determined not to miss this BR! I really want to read this one.

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7555 comments Mod
I told myself to get caught up with all my outstanding reads before I join another BR, but I'm going to try to make time for this one too lol.

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments End of Part II

Nezha
(view spoiler)

Rin
(view spoiler)

Jiang
(view spoiler)

Altan and Speerly
(view spoiler)

The Empress
(view spoiler)

I hope these questions will be answered by the end of the book. Or at least teased, considering that it’s a series now.

message 27: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Hooray - I'm starting this right now :-)

message 28: by Barry (last edited Nov 14, 2018 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Finished.

A fantastic debut novel! Really like the many interesting characters. Great pacing with actions moving the plot along in almost every chapter. Pretty intriguing magic system (though, not fully fleshed out or explained by the author, so far).

I do have some minor disappointments with the book:
1. Inconsistency in behaviors from some of the characters that felt like each character could be having random mood-swing ((view spoiler)).

2. I'd love to have the politics being explored more deeply to explain some of the decisions or policies taken by the leadership levels in both countries, but especially by Nikara's leadership. It's amazing how (view spoiler)

As it was written, IMO (view spoiler)

message 29: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Oh my goodness! I am completely absorbed in this book, it is 1.30am here and I'm going to have to make myself stop reading and get some sleep :-)

I'm 40% in, up to chapter 10.

@Barry - I definitely felt TNOTW vibes during part 1. I do love an eccentric Master and Jiang certainly qualifies :-)

message 30: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Just finished part 2 - up to chapter 21.

Intrigued by the talented but quirky regiment of 'misfits'.

Things are starting to get intense!

message 31: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nope... you beat me... I'm still behind on a couple things, but ahead on others... anyway, I started this this morning...

It has me engaged already, but I'm a little confused about the arranged marriage... I didn't expect Rin to be (view spoiler)

Maybe I'll understand that later... or I'm just lacking knowledge about arranged marriages with large age gaps...

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments @Iain
The arranged marriage (view spoiler).

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Shae wrote: "Oh my goodness! I am completely absorbed in this book, it is 1.30am here and I'm going to have to make myself stop reading and get some sleep :-)

I'm 40% in, up to chapter 10.

@Barry - I definite..."
Yeah, I kept thinking while reading this that this would be the book if Rothfuss could ever write with much faster pacing wrt the plot 😅.

message 34: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barry wrote: "@Iain..."

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Barry (last edited Nov 17, 2018 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments @Iain

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Just finished - wow, part 3 was quite brutal!

@Barry, gosh - things definitely took a departure away from the earlier Rothfuss vibe :-)

@Iain - yes, this read was certainly engaging :-)

Still trying to process those last few chapters and assemble my final thoughts :-)

message 37: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

25% in now... this book is great... hard to put down...

message 38: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Iain - Haha agreed, I gladly sacrificed a bit of sleep for this one :-)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Yeah definitely Part III was shocking!

message 40: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barry wrote: "40% in.

Really like the pacing here. Quite a bit of time has passed since the beginning of the book. And there are always stuff happening that move the plot along, unlike another fantasy book with..."

Still haven't read those, since the end is nowhere in sight... I agree, the pacing is great here... there's never any slowdown... I think part of it is that Rin doesn't spend much time inner monologuing and thinking about things... she's a woman of action :)

But her use of pain as a motivator is a bit disturbing, at time...

End of Part 1: (view spoiler)

Start of Part 2: (view spoiler)

After the Battle: (view spoiler)

Provinces: This talk reminds me I want to read Empire in Black and Gold sometime, with it's Animal Clans...

message 41: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barry wrote: "Around 50%..."

Jiang: Agreed...

Empress: (view spoiler)

message 42: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "I will also be a bit late, but I am determined not to miss this BR! I really want to read this one."

You should, it's great...

message 43: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barry wrote: "End of Part II..."

I'm a sucker for risking spoilers... I'm still pretty early in Part 2, I think... around 50%...

Romance: "There is no romance subplot or love triangle. There are relationships that could plausibly turn romantic, but they don't on the page." -- RF Kuang's Q&A response on the book page...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments I'm a little late, started today. Finished chapter 1, I really like it so far. Rin's family is awful but I really like her as a character.

message 45: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

The more, the merrier

message 46: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian | 1196 comments I’m running late too. Mother in Law is in town for two weeks. 😩😩😩😩😩. Haha!

message 47: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Around 66% now... part 2 has been slowing me down... not liking it as much as Part 1... the 3 star reviews in my friend's list had problems with Part 2 the most, it seems, and I remember Barry's comments about the Sikes

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Brian wrote: "I’m running late too. Mother in Law is in town for two weeks. 😩😩😩😩😩. Haha!"
Haha good luck Brian!

Timelord Iain wrote: "Barry wrote: "End of Part II..."

I'm a sucker for risking spoilers... I'm still pretty early in Part 2, I think... around 50%...

Romance: "There is no romance subplot or love triangle. There are ..."

I'm glad that's cleared up. I didn't check to author's page actually so I was hoping there wouldn't be too much romance haha.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments Chapter 2-4
(view spoiler)

message 50: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Nov 19, 2018 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I missed when Part 2 ended... was it around when (view spoiler)

Could someone transcribe the part with the dice-rolling? (trying to be vague to catch attention of physical book-readers outside of a spoiler tag)...

Part 3 / End: (view spoiler) (rambling pile of theories/comments)

I hear this is to be a trilogy... this book itself almost felt like a trilogy, with all that happened in the 3 Parts... but like a trilogy, Part 2 was the weakest for me... I think I'd rate this 4.5, rounded up to 5 because I liked the beginning and end so much, and it has me thinking/theorizing so much...

And I found out the author is only 22, so I knocked out young author on my Bingo card, and finished that challenge last night...

« previous 1