Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
This topic is about Delta Force
Inspired by Wyatt Logan > Delta Force

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 20 comments Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit He's got to have read this right? Or at least the writers did. It'd provide background for Wyatt's character.

message 2: by Beth (last edited Jul 08, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Beth | 8 comments I've been looking for books on the characters as well as historical nonfiction. I thought it was neat they picked Delta Force rather than the currently trendy Navy SEALs. I was curious about the differences between all the different Special Forces so I decided to read up on it.

I picked The Mission, the Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander by Pete Blaber. I'm almost done. It's interesting!

They're definitely focusing on a narrow piece of Wyatt's skill set and probable experiences.

The book is from an officer's perspective and he's older so a chunk of it takes place in the 90's. But the second half(ish) of the book is in Afghanistan. And he does mention the differences/skills some of his Sergeants have. I'm almost done - it's really interesting.

message 3: by Beth (last edited Jul 28, 2018 04:01PM) (new)

Beth | 8 comments Aileen wrote: "Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit He's got to have read this right? Or at least the writers did. It'd provide background for Wyatt's character."

Interestingly, Shawn Ryan also created/produced "The Unit", a CBS tv show that was about Delta Force. It was based on the book Inside Delta Force so if nothing else that experience is probably informing Wyatt's character. I guess that's why they made Wyatt DF, lol. I had wondered at the unusual choice.

This book was written by an original member so it doesn't really apply to Wyatt much (the writer retired in 1990). However, the author was also involved in 'The Unit' tv show so his opinion would have certainly informed the fictional skillsets a DF guy might have. Damn, now I'm intrigued and will probably have to read it.

Oooh, or I'll just watch the show. That'll have been modernized for the current war.