Polls for Our Souls discussion

89 views
TV, Movie, Music, Social Media > The Hate You Give movie

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peyton (new)

Peyton B. (peyreece02) So The Hate You Give has it's movie coming out somewhat soon and the casting for the main character has a lot of people upset. Starr is being played by Amandla Stenberg. This is bringing up a lot of controversy because she is of course not a dark skinned woman and her accepting this role makes her seem a bit of a hypocrite, especially considering how she willingly turned down a role in Black Panther so other people of darker skin tone could be rightfully represented. As readers and for the most part lovers of this book, what are you guys thoughts on this?


message 2: by L.C. (last edited Jun 25, 2018 06:26PM) (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments That's SO interesting that I saw this topic lol. I literally watched the movie trailer for the first time a half an hour ago.

I was surprised when I saw who was playing Starr. I'm confused as to why she isn't played by someone with a darker skin tone, but at the same time, maybe she was the only one who could do the role? I don't want to judge since I don't know what they went through to find a good actress, but it did catch me by surprise. I am disappointed but I can live with it.

What about you?


message 3: by Peyton (new)

Peyton B. (peyreece02) L.C. wrote: "That's SO interesting that I saw this topic lol. I literally watched the movie trailer for the first time a half an hour ago.

I was surprised when I saw who was playing Starr. I'm confused as to ..."


I personally feel there are hundreds of other girls that could have played Starr. But for some reason, Yara, Zendaya or Amandla are always the go to for black representation in media which is disappointing. I haven't decided if I will watch the movie or not yet.


message 4: by Kitteh (new)

Kitteh (mimikyuu16) | 8 comments I don't really care about the casting but I've got goosebumps seeing that trailer. I was freakking out while I was watching it and pretty much excited tbh


message 5: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments Peyton wrote: "L.C. wrote: "That's SO interesting that I saw this topic lol. I literally watched the movie trailer for the first time a half an hour ago.

I was surprised when I saw who was playing Starr. I'm co..."


That's true. Honestly, I hate it when Hollywood reuses actors over and over again because they're the "big" thing right now.


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

She has talked about this(Amandla) in interviews before, she and Angie talked about it but since Amandla is such a great actress she got the role. I think the casting is fine. I mean biracial people experience being seen as black as well, and Amamndla in my mind, looks very black.
I think her saying no to a black panther role was fine cause thats in my mind a whole nother argument.


message 7: by Peyton (new)

Peyton B. (peyreece02) Oda Renate wrote: "She has talked about this(Amandla) in interviews before, she and Angie talked about it but since Amandla is such a great actress she got the role. I think the casting is fine. I mean biracial peopl..."

Biracial people are black but they do not face the same oppression that darker skinned people do. There are tons of great actors, imo who could have done it. I just feel it could've been casted better.


message 8: by RyanneAndHerBooks (last edited Jun 26, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

RyanneAndHerBooks | 64 comments That's so weird. I watched the trailer 10 minutes ago and then got on Goodreads to this. Literally the first thing I said when I saw Amandla was, "She's a little light for this role."

I love Amandla and all of her gorgeousness but there has to be more darkerskinned young actors in Hollywood. Come on now. Amandla is in everything now.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Peyton wrote: "Oda Renate wrote: "She has talked about this(Amandla) in interviews before, she and Angie talked about it but since Amandla is such a great actress she got the role. I think the casting is fine. I ..."

Oki. I suppose we differ there.


message 10: by Mina (new)

Mina Rehman | 22 comments I think she's an excellent actress who will do Starr justice. I get where you're coming from, but I think it's a bit unfair of us to expect her to reject great roles in important movies again and again just because of her skin colour.


message 11: by C.A. (new)

C.A. | 58 comments Dark skin girls get barely any representation in movies and when they do it's rarely in a positive light. Amandla Stenberg, Yara Shahidi and Zendaya are not the only young black actresses in Hollywood and they need to stop being recycled for black roles. This is really disappointing.


message 12: by Peyton (new)

Peyton B. (peyreece02) C.A. wrote: "Dark skin girls get barely any representation in movies and when they do it's rarely in a positive light. Amandla Stenberg, Yara Shahidi and Zendaya are not the only young black actresses in Hollyw..."

Completely agree. Very well said.


back to top