The Reader's Bar discussion

A Kind of Freedom
This topic is about A Kind of Freedom
Open for Discussion > July Book Discussion: A Kind of Freedom

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Post your comments/questions about this month's book below.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Reserved. Looks like I should get it by 1st week of July.

message 3: by Denise (new)

MsG wrote: "Reserved. Looks like I should get it by 1st week of July."

Great! I need to do that tonight.

message 4: by Denise (new)

Did anyone start reading this book?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Today is 4th of July-Happy Independence Day!

I am doing some packing around the house for relocation in several weeks. I will try to get some night time reading in after I pick up the book.

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Not yet. I’m so behind 😑

message 7: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna | 5 comments I just started today

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Will start today. Got it yesterday from the library

message 9: by Denise (new)

What are your first impressions?

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Enjoying the book so far I really like the read. It reminds me of an article I read recently analyzing the relationship of fictional characters Whitley and DeWayne from a different world. The article was written from the perspective of the author’s change in analysis from her 16 year old self to her 32 year old self rewatching the show. She goes into detail about her opinion changed from thinking Whitley was a gold digger to respecting and affirming her choice of wanting to marry someone who could provide her with the lifestyle she desired. I’m keeping that in mind as I’m reading through the book.

So far I’ve met the family and Andrew and Reynard and the men meeting the family. I’m eager to learn what choice Evelyn makes and where her family goes from here.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Big move this past weekend. I should be back to reading.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Maria wrote: "Enjoying the book so far I really like the read. It reminds me of an article I read recently analyzing the relationship of fictional characters Whitley and DeWayne from a different world. The artic..."

Glad you're enjoying it.

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Finished the book tonight 😀

message 14: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna | 5 comments I'm listening to the audio book. Five chapters to go. The narrators did a good job. At first I didn't like the back and forth between past and present because I felt like I knew the outcome without knowing how they got there. But it worked. So far so good.

message 15: by Denise (new)

Maria wrote: "Finished the book tonight 😀"

What was your final verdict about the book? Did you end up liking it?

message 16: by Denise (new)

Do you like the author's writing style?

message 17: by Denise (last edited Jul 17, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

What do you think of Evelyn and Renard?

message 18: by Denise (new)

What do you think of Ruby?

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Denise wrote: "Maria wrote: "Finished the book tonight 😀"

What was your final verdict about the book? Did you end up liking it?"

I did. I think she did a good job with the content and developing the characters.

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Denise wrote: "Do you like the author's writing style?"

The structure of the writing was reminiscent of Homegoing. Because that was such a good novel, this one pales in comparison but was still well-written.

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Denise wrote: "What do you think of Evelyn and Renard?"

I love them together. I do almost want her to pick someone more affluent. Love doesnt pay the bills...

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Denise wrote: "What do you think of Ruby?"

Denise wrote: "What do you think of Evelyn and Renard?"

I dont like Ruby. She is so entitled and snooty. I dont like her arrogance.

message 23: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna | 5 comments I liked the story and was hoping for a better outcome for T.C. Ruby was a bit of a snob. She was like her father in that way and Evelyn was more like here mother. Evelyn and Renard were good together. It was interesting how the relationship with each one of her parents changed when they learned about her pregnancy and marriage proposal.

message 24: by Denise (new)

What were your thoughts on how Evelyn's parents reacted to Renard when they first met him?

message 25: by Denise (new)

What did you think of Evelyn's daughter?

message 26: by Denise (new)

Maria wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Ruby?"

Denise wrote: "What do you think of Evelyn and Renard?"

I dont like Ruby. She is so entitled and snooty. I dont like her arrogance."

Yeah, that is what I thought too.

message 27: by Denise (new)

Maria wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Evelyn and Renard?"

I love them together. I do almost want her to pick someone more affluent. Love doesnt pay the bills..."

They sounded so cute together. They seemed to complement each other.

message 28: by Denise (new)

What did you think of Evelyn's relationship with her parents?

message 29: by Denise (new)

What did you think of Evelyn's relationship with her sister?

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments I'm about 35% through the book now. It's getting fairly depressing :/

I was also going to make the comparison between this story and Homegoing. Honestly I didn't like that type of narration. It felt like I was reading short stories vs. a whole novel (although yes, I'm a fan of Homegoing and some of those characters still reside in my head!)

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Denise wrote: "What did you think of Evelyn's relationship with her sister?"

I dont like the relationship between the sisters. It seems unhealthy. Evelyn is a bit codependent and Ruby is spoiled and conceited. It works for them, but it makes the relationship seem less fulfilling than it could be.

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Denise wrote: "What did you think of Evelyn's relationship with her parents?"

I didnt like it at all. I kept looking for a reason as to why Evelyn's mother favored her sister but I guess sometimes there isnt one... I was sad that her dad turned away from her some but they seemed to patch things up by her wedding day.

Khadijah Maria Cole (mccole0221) | 32 comments Denise wrote: "What were your thoughts on how Evelyn's parents reacted to Renard when they first met him?"

I wanted to be upset with them but after growing up in poverty and marrying for "love", I have a hard time disliking their reaction. Based on the novel's timeline they would have had their parents talk to them about the ending of slavery and during their formation years they lived through the Depression. I dont think that they disliked Renard as much as they wanted to make sure that their daughter didnt struggle. I dont think that's an ill-formed desire.

message 34: by Denise (new)

Did the book leave you with any unanswered questions?

message 35: by Denise (new)

What do you think about how the story left off?

message 36: by Denise (new)

Maria wrote: "Denise wrote: "What were your thoughts on how Evelyn's parents reacted to Renard when they first met him?"

I wanted to be upset with them but after growing up in poverty and marrying for "love", I..."

I felt the same way but I had to also remind myself of the time period.

message 37: by Denise (new)

Maria wrote: "Denise wrote: "What did you think of Evelyn's relationship with her sister?"

I dont like the relationship between the sisters. It seems unhealthy. Evelyn is a bit codependent and Ruby is spoiled a..."

Do you think that their relationship changed as they got older?

message 38: by Denise (new)

Maria wrote: "Denise wrote: "What did you think of Evelyn's relationship with her parents?"

I didnt like it at all. I kept looking for a reason as to why Evelyn's mother favored her sister but I guess sometimes..."

It was almost as if she was jealous of Evelyn's relationship with her husband, which was also Evelyn's her father.

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments i agree with that. i sometimes felt that the mom was jealous of Evelyn's relationship with Evelyn's dad. i thought that it was ironic that jackie and Sybil seemed to have the same type of relationship that evelyn had with her sister.

i wondered what happened with ruby and Anthony. i also wondered why Evelyn's mom was fairly cold towards her and then grew warmer as soon as renard came into her life.