Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > August 2018 General Nominatons

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Jun 28, 2018 08:35AM) (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Hello, fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers,

Nominations for our August General Book Discussions are now open. To ensure your nomination will be included in our poll, please make sure it conforms to the following guidelines:

📌AUTHORS please note: We DO NOT accept nominations of your own work. Please see our Author Guidelines for more information. You are, however, welcome to participate in the nomination (of another author's work), polling, and book discussions in general.

📌Only members who have actively participated in prior book discussions will be permitted to nominate books for the following month. If you have recently joined the group, please do participate in the current month's discussion so you qualify as a valid nominator. A more thorough explanation can be found here.

✔️ You may nominate one (1) book. PLEASE NOTE: By entering a nomination you are agreeing to act as our Book Discussion Leader for that book if it wins. Don't worry it is neither difficult nor time consuming and the moderators are here to help in the event that you need a hand.

✔️ Your nomination should be in the crime, mystery, or thriller genres or their sub-genres.

✔️A book is only eligible if it is available in paperback and digital formats in the US/Canada and UK/Australia. We recently discovered that many books are released in the UK/Australia months before they are released in the US/Canada. Please understand we are trying to give all our members the opportunity to participate in our book discussions. We don't want to exclude a significant portion of our members because they do not have availability to the book nominated.

✔️ You may nominate any book that is in a series, it does not have to be the first book.

✔️ To ensure your nomination is included in our poll correctly, do include the name of both the book and the author. You are welcome to use the "add book/author" tool, which is located above the right upper corner of the comment window when you nominate your selection.

✔️ Post your nomination as a comment in this discussion. Do not notify the moderators of your selection by way of a private message, if you do you run the risk of your book not being including in the poll.

If you have any questions, you can leave a comment in this discussion or send me a private message directly.

The nomination period will close on Sunday, July 1 at approximately 7:oo pm MST (GMT/UTC −07:00).

Polling will begin on Wednesday, July 4.

Thank you and happy reading!

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 157 comments I would like to nominate Summer of Night by Dan Simmons.

It's the summer of 1960 in Elm Haven, Illinois, and five 12-year old boys are forming the bonds that a lifetime of changes will never erase. But then a dark cloud threatens the bright promise of summer vacation: on the last day of school, their classmate Tubby Cooke vanishes. Soon, the group discovers stories of other children who once disappeared from Elm Haven. And there are other strange things happening in town....

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 2134 comments Prey by Michael Crichton by Michael Crichton

High-tech whistle-blower Jack Forman used to specialize in programming computers to solve problems by mimicking the behavior of efficient wild animals--swarming bees or hunting hyena packs, for example. Now he's unemployed and is finally starting to enjoy his new role as stay-at-home dad. All would be domestic bliss if it were not for Jack's suspicions that his wife, who's been behaving strangely and working long hours at the top-secret research labs of Xymos Technology, is having an affair. When he's called in to help with her hush-hush project, it seems like the perfect opportunity to see what his wife's been doing, but Jack quickly finds there's a lot more going on in the lab than an illicit affair. Within hours of his arrival at the remote testing center, Jack discovers his wife's firm has created self-replicating nanotechnology--a literal swarm of microscopic machines. Originally meant to serve as a military eye in the sky, the swarm has now escaped into the environment and is seemingly intent on killing the scientists trapped in the facility. The reader realizes early, however, that Jack, his wife, and fellow scientists have more to fear from the hidden dangers within the lab than from the predators without.

The monsters may be smaller in this book, but Crichton's skill for suspense has grown, making Prey a scary read that's hard to set aside, though not without its minor flaws. The science in this novel requires more explanation than did the cloning of dinosaurs, leading to lengthy and sometimes dry academic lessons. And while the coincidence of Xymos's new technology running on the same program Jack created at his previous job keeps the plot moving, it may be more than some readers can swallow. But, thanks in part to a sobering foreword in which Crichton warns of the real dangers of technology that continues to evolve more quickly than common sense, Prey succeeds in gripping readers with a tense and frightening tale of scientific suspense. --Benjamin Reese

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments I'd like to nominate Depth by Lev A.C. Rosen

"Combines hardboiled mystery and dystopian science fiction in a future where the rising ocean levels have left New York twenty-one stories under water and cut off from the rest of the United States. But the city survives, and Simone Pierce is one of its best private investigators. Her latest case, running surveillance on a potentially unfaithful husband, was supposed to be easy. Then her target is murdered, and the search for his killer points Simone towards a secret from the past that can't possibly be real--but that won't stop the city's most powerful men and women from trying to acquire it for themselves, with Simone caught in the middle"--Amazon.com.

message 5: by Sévérin (new)

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments The Messiah Matrix by Kenneth Atchity by Kenneth Atchity

First Jesuit Pope predicted in THE MESSIAH MATRIX!

To what lengths would the Vatican go to suppress the secret origins of its power? Current papal politics has made this thriller eerily prophetic! The Messiah Matrix is a myth-shattering novel whose protagonists delve into the secrets of the past—and expose the fundamentalists who hide them still.

Religious Fiction Christianity, Jesus Christ, Roman Catholic, Christian origins

A renowned scholar-monsignor is killed in Rome while a Roman coin is recovered from a wreck off the coast of ancient Judea. It’s up to his young American protégé--a Jesuit priest--and a vivacious, brilliant archaeologist to connect these seemingly disparate events and unravel the tapestry that conceals in plain view the greatest mystery in the ecclesiastical world. Together they pursue their passion for truth—while fighting to control their passion for each other. What they uncover is an ancient Roman imperial stratagem so controversial the Curia fears it could undermine the very foundations of the Roman Catholic faith--much like the secrets emerging from the Vatican in today's news.

From the ancient port of Caesarea to Rome's legendary catacombs and the sacred caves of Cumae, this contemporary novel follows their exhilarating quest to uncover the truth about the historical existence of the real "Christian Savior."

Classical scholar and Yale Ph.D. Dr. Kenneth John Atchity is the only author alive today capable of creating this literary and historically-based spellbinder.

message 6: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
I nominate The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King.

Long retired, Sherlock Holmes quietly pursues his study of honeybee behavior on the Sussex Downs. He never imagines he would encounter anyone whose intellect matched his own, much less an audacious teenage girl with a penchant for detection. Miss Mary Russell becomes Holmes' pupil and quickly hones her talent for deduction, disguises and danger. But when an elusive villain enters the picture, their partnership is put to a real test.

message 7: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew #5) by Douglas Preston The Pharaoh Key by Douglas Preston

Don't miss the this exciting, New York Times bestselling adventure from Preston & Child, in which the secrets of a mysterious ancient tablet may point the way to untold treasure--or unspeakable danger.
"I just want to be crystal clear about this: if it has value, we're gonna steal it. Are you with me?"
Effective Engineering Solutions has been inexplicably shut down and the head of the company, Eli Glinn, has all but vanished. Fresh off a diagnosis that gives him only months to live, Gideon Crew is contacted by one of his coworkers at EES, Manuel Garza, who tells him the two have mere hours to collect their belongings before the office closes forever. After years of dedicated service and several high-risk missions, theirs seems like the most ignoble of terminations-until Gideon and Garza happen upon an incredible discovery. After centuries of silence, a code-breaking machine at EES has cracked the long-awaited translation of a centuries-old stone tablet, the Phaistos Disc, that dates back to an otherwise completely unknown, ancient civilization. The mysteries of the message itself hint at incredible treasures, and perhaps even a world-altering secret. No one remains at EES to take on this most remarkable mission but Gideon and Garza. The two agree to solve the mystery of the disc's message and split the spoils: the perfect parting gift their employer doesn't know he has given. What lies at the end of the trail may save Gideon's life-or bring it to a sudden, shocking close. As Gideon and Garza soon discover, some missions are more dangerous than others. But as Gideon has proved again and again, there's no such thing as too great a risk when you're living on borrowed time.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 157 comments Besides my own nomination of Summer of Night, I'll second Prey and The Pharaoh Key.

(we can "second" things here right?)

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I nominate The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King.

Long retired, Sherlock Holmes quietly pursues his study of honeybee behavior on the Sussex Downs. He never imagi..."

An excellent read. My dad got me to read those books.

message 10: by Christine (new)

message 11: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I nominate Design for Dying by husband and wife team Renee Patrick, the first in a series featuring sleuths Edith Head (of costume design fame) and Lillian Frost, aspiring starlet and department store salesgirl. Takes place in 1937 - lots of fun, an interesting 30's style mystery and many noir characters.

message 12: by Elton (new)

Elton Menezes | 4 comments Stephen King - Outsider

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 157 comments I'll also second Design for Dying.

message 14: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Jamie wrote: "Besides my own nomination of Summer of Night, I'll second Prey and The Pharaoh Key.

(we can "second" things here right?)"

You can but it's not necessary, as long as a book is available in the US/Canada and UK/Australia and is within the group parameters we accept the nomination.

Thank you for asking!

message 15: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Danny wrote: "The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew #5) by Douglas Preston The Pharaoh Key by Douglas Preston"

Danny this book was just released and not yet available in paperback. Would you like to nominate a different book?

message 16: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Kirsten wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I nominate The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King.

Long retired, Sherlock Holmes quietly pursues his study of honeybee behavior on the Sussex Downs..."

This has been on my tbr list for far too long.

message 17: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Desperate Girls by Laura Griffin"

Christine the expected publication date for paperback is Aug 8 so it is not yet available. Would you like to nominate another book?

You are more than welcome to re-nominate this on for our September poll.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) Yes I will nominate another book and i’m sorry

NYPD Red 4 (NYPD Red, #4) by James Patterson

message 19: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Yes I will nominate another book and i’m sorry

NYPD Red 4 (NYPD Red, #4) by James Patterson"

Great! No need to be sorry. Thank you for your understanding.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) Your welcome and no problem and alright thanks

message 21: by Tom (new)

Tom | 922 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I nominate The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King.

Long retired, Sherlock Holmes quietly pursues his study of honeybee behavior on the Sussex Downs. He never imagi..."

Read this recently and thought it was excellent. Seems some folks look down on it as just another pastiche, but I found it quite well done with Mary Russell a fascinating new character well worthy of the Holmsian oeuvre.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I nominate The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King.

You might like The Case of Death and Honey by Neil Gaiman which sounds very similar. It's an excellent short story that's available in the collection Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances. I found it free online too, but not sure it's a legal post so I'm not sharing the link here.

message 23: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Randy wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I nominate The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King.

Long retired, Sherlock Holmes quietly pursues his study of honeybee behavior on the Sussex Downs..."

I will definitely look that up, thank you Randy.

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments The President is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson

message 25: by Scott (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) | 37 comments I nominate Tenacity (Lieutenant Danielle Lewis, #1) by J.S. Law J.S. Law This is J.S. Law's debute novel. For those interested in reading a thriller novel in August this book should be a real good one. I read the The Fear Within during the Spring and this was a very good read that had plenty of suspense and lots of back story and more than 2 mysteries going on a the time. J.S. Law has his readers asking questions. Also James Bond and NCIS fans should also enjoy reading Tenacity. As some of datk things that J.S writes one thing he also does write humor. All the charcacters are so well written you actually care about them and all that they go through. Tenacity is NCIS but Royal Navy Police.

message 26: by Erica (new)

Erica | 46 comments Cold Cold Heart by Tami Hoag

Dana Nolan was a promising young TV reporter until a notorious serial killer tried to add her to his list of victims. Nearly a year has passed since surviving her ordeal, but the physical, emotional, and psychological scars run deep. Struggling with the torment of post-traumatic stress syndrome, plagued by flashbacks and nightmares as dark as the heart of a killer, Dana returns to her hometown in an attempt to begin to put her life back together. But home doesn’t provide the comfort she expects.

Dana’s harrowing story and her return to small town life have rekindled police and media interest in the unsolved case of her childhood best friend, Casey Grant, who disappeared without a trace the summer after their graduation from high school. Terrified of truths long-buried, Dana reluctantly begins to look back at her past. Viewed through the dark filter of PTSD, old friends and loved ones become suspects and enemies. Questioning everything she knows, refusing to be defined by the traumas of her past and struggling against excruciating odds, Dana seeks out a truth that may prove too terrible to be believed…

message 27: by Danny (last edited Jul 01, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Danny wrote: "The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew #5) by Douglas Preston The Pharaoh Key by Douglas Preston"

Danny this book was just released and not yet available in paperback. Would yo..."

It was released everywhere in May and I checked Amazon.com, amazon.com.au (Australia), Amazon.ca (Canada), amazon.com.uk (United Kingdom) and it is available there too. Where haven't you found it?

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hall | 2 comments I second The Outsider by Stephen King

message 29: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Danny wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Danny wrote: "The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew #5) by Douglas Preston The Pharaoh Key by Douglas Preston"

Danny this book was just released and not yet available in pap..."

The hardback was released in hardback and Kindle in the US on June 12th, the paperback has not been released in the US as yet. I will include it in the poll with a note that it is not yet available in the US in paperback.

message 30: by Robert (last edited Jul 01, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) I nominate Razor Girl Razor Girl (Andrew Yancy, #2) by Carl Hiaasen by Carl Hiaasen

message 31: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Nominations are now closed for our August Book Discussion. Thank you to everyone who suggested books. The poll will be up on Wednesday.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.