Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Into the Water
This topic is about Into the Water
Archive - Group Reads > Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (no spoilers) - July 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Jun 25, 2018 04:47PM) (new)

Gem  | 1338 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Into the Water by Paula Hawkins and your host is Nguyen.

Please note no spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.

2017 Goodreads Choice Award ~ Best Mystery & Thriller

Summary

In the last days before her death, Nel called her sister. Jules didn’t pick up the phone, ignoring her plea for help. Now Nel is dead. They say she jumped. And Jules has been dragged back to the one place she hoped she had escaped for good, to care for the teenage girl her sister left behind. But Jules is afraid. So afraid. Of her long-buried memories, of the old Mill House, of knowing that Nel would never have jumped. And most of all she’s afraid of the water, and the place they call the Drowning Pool . . .

Beth  (techeditor) | 1011 comments INTO THE WATER is complex. Various mysteries are going on, all interrelated.

* Why does Jules hate her sister Nel?
* Did Nel commit suicide or was she murdered?
* Are Nickie’s accounts of murder reliable or is she just a nut?
* Why did Katie, a 15-year-old girl who seemed to have everything going for her, commit a most unlikely suicide?
* Are Nel’s stories of all the women throughout history who have jumped or been thrown into the river fact or fiction?
* Why does Patrick maintain the cottage by the river? What went on at this site?
* What is Lena hiding that might give more insight to the reason Katie would commit suicide?
* Why does Helen have Nel’s bracelet? Does this mean she murdered Nel?
* And why has the river that runs through Beckford been the scene of the suicides or murders of so many women there? Why is it alluring?

These are only some of the mysteries going on in this book.

This complexity is good. But don’t expect INTO THE WATER to be like Paula Hawkins’ other novel, THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN. They’re not alike at all. That is not only in storyline. While I criticized THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, I also admitted that it is unputdownable at times. INTO THE WATER isn’t, ever.

Partly that is because most chapters of INTO THE WATER are first-person, some third-person, accounts, each by one of the MANY characters in the story. While the book thus moves along, you may find, as I did, that this becomes an exercise in memorization. There are so many characters, each with his or her own viewpoint and mysteries, that I spent most of the book trying to keep them all straight and remember who did and said what. Many times I had to page back to previous chapters to remind myself.

INTO THE WATER is a good try. But, probably, readers who liked THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN will be disappointed in INTO THE WATER.

message 3: by Georgia (new) - added it

Georgia | 52 comments Thank you for your very clear and precise critique! You are good at this! We need more of this kind of report!

message 4: by Nguyen (new) - added it

Nguyen Xuan | 16 comments As I read it
I am afraid Into the Water might be misread, the reason being that part of it is misleading - on purpose.
Paula Hawkins seems to be fond of muddying the waters and tricking readers into being distracted from the real issues. Many hints and clues and innuendoes are apparently aimed at blurring the key notions - guilt and love.

Erica | 46 comments I read this book last year and was not a fan of it. I think Beth pretty much summed up what were the problems on this book.

I liked the girl on the train and was really waiting to read her second book. I admit there must be so much pressure to write a second novel when your first one was such a success. So maybe she wanted to experiment with the second one, who knows.

For me it just did not work. I don't mind unlikable characters or complex plot lines with a lot of people. What did not work for me was the whole first part of the book maybe up until halfway.
It was just jumping all over the place from one characters thoughts to another . Once you get the first half out of the way then it gets better.
I don't know was this an editing issue or it was just to try something new, but with that many characters in the book it was not working. Maybe if there weren't that many it would have worked better.

I am still going to read Paula Hawkins books and can't wait for her new book whenever it will be coming out.

Don't be encouraged though, read the book and see what you think of it.

Madison Benitez Personally I enjoyed this book more than The Girl on the Train. I enjoyed all of the different points of view although I do admit it does require a lot of memorization. This book is the one of the first times Ive experienced the changing of perspectives and I learned I really liked that style. I was excited when I read Girl on the Train because it was the same just with less characters. I couldn’t put the book down. I was disappointed by the last 4 books I read and this is the only one I liked.

RoadToReading (evalynee) I just finished this book and the only thing that popped into my mind was - finally. I really disliked the first half of the book. It was tough remembering the characters and I had to go back to see whose perspective I was reading plenty of times the first half. That was a big deal breaker for me as it made reading it very difficult. Especially since the last book I read (One of Us is Lying) was also written from different perspectives but way easier to get into and through.

At some point I got into the story though and it got a bit better. I started to see the connections between the characters and felt that I went through discovering everything with Jules.

I guess after finishing it I just don't feel fulfilled and felt like it shouldn't be this hard to even get into the story at all.

Jamie Zaccaria | 157 comments I'm a couple hours into the audiobook and so far I like it. All the different POVs can get confusing but im super intrigued by the water and the history of witchcraft persecution.

message 9: by Nguyen (new) - added it

Nguyen Xuan | 16 comments Jamie Z, you will not be disappointed !

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1284 comments I'm nearing the end and I have mixed feelings about it. I really don't care that they keep going from the future(2015) back to the past. I'm having trouble keeping up with all of the characters.

Ninna | 32 comments I also did not enjoy this like I did Girl on the Train. I just think she was trying to do too much - multiple points of view is hard enough to do well but then she adds changing timelines and tricks to throw you off track and I was like "enough already!" It's like turducken or piecaken - dude, I only really want one of those things done really fabulously, please.

Jamie Zaccaria | 157 comments This was a suspenseful mystery that had me hooked. I saw many of the reveals coming but not too far in advance so that it ruined it, and not all of them! It was a bit confusing at first with the different POVs but once you get used to the characters, it works out fine. I would have liked more background on the history of the drowning pool but that's just because of my personal interests.

Very well done and looking forward to the film if it happens!

message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue (suevc) | 1 comments I felt let down by this book as well. It really grabbed me in the beginning, but just became jumbled halfway through. There were too many stories happening at once and not all of them were resolved. I was disappointed because I really enjoyed Girl On the Train.

Dannie (danniem) | 14 comments After reading many of the comments on Into the Water, I agree with so many of them. I listened to the audio version of the book and even without reading it, I felt the beginning was slow and choppy to the point that I actually stopped listening for a while. I purchased the book as soon as it was released and it took me forever to finish listening. I couldn't find a rhythm with Into the Water, but if you have it, I do suggest finishing it. As a whole, it is a good read.