Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

Inspired by Rufus Carlin > Time-Travel Novels Featuring/By People of Color (POC)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mona (new)

Mona I would love to see more books by diverse authors and/or about diverse characters here. The diverse cast/crew of the show was my favorite thing about it. If you have time-travel recs that fit with Rufus' experience, please share here!

Below is my description of Kindred by Octavia Butler. I read it a few years ago, and it's excellent. Note: I also posted about this book in the Time-Travel Novels thread.

The protagonist is an African-American woman living in the mid-seventies USA (the book was published in 1979 but didn't feel dated to me) who inadvertently travels back in time to a plantation in 1815. She is assumed to be a slave.

It is much less science-fictiony than Timeless (no time machine, for example) but if you're looking for something that embodies Rufus' experience traveling through time (constantly in danger, no good time in American history to be a black man, etc.), you can't go wrong with this book. Plus, if one of the things that you like about Timeless is the diversity of BOTH the cast and writers/creators, this fits in with that theme too. It's an "own voices" novel. Octavia Butler is one of the most celebrated science fiction authors and has been credited with paving the way for many current sci-fi/speculative authors of color, e.g. Nnedi Okorafor, Nalo Hobkinson, and N.K. Jemisin.

message 2: by Mona (new)

Mona Mona wrote: "If you have time-travel recs that fit with Rufus' experience, please share here!"

One YA novel of relevance (also posted in the Timeless for Kids folder):

A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott - "Genna Colon desperately wants to escape from a drug-infested world of poverty, and every day she wishes for a different life. One day Genna's wish is granted and she is instantly transported back to Civil War-era Brooklyn." Published in 2008.