What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > SiFi ; amnesia; regeneration; antigravity; interplanetary travel

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1 comments PB novel I read in early 1970s. It felt like between 1950s and 1970s in cultural, social mores, language, mindset, gender roles. A Soldier wakes up with amnesia having regenerated a Lost limb. He finds out it has happened before. This segues into somehow finding a weird alien machine (spherical...round? ) that might have to do with antigravity. Then he ends up on another planet where I think there are multiple levels of evolution or species. There is of course a woman / love interest.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
The Beast (1943) by A.E. van Vogt?

One Goodreads reviewer mentions, "...one-armed man finding a doughnut shaped machine that regenerates his amputated arm..."

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments I was thinking The Beast, as well. The only detail I really remember is that the alien machine had a constantly spinning vortex in the middle. The MC managed to insert a plane propeller into the vortex and used the machine to power a small plane.

Also, the MC found the machine while he was out riding on his horse and he was strong enough that he dismounted by just using his single arm to lift himself off the saddle and drop to the ground.

I don't know why I remember these things.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40688 comments Mod
Jo, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Beast (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

A.E. van Vogt (other topics)