Book Chat discussion

Book Related Banter > Article: Jimmy Fallon's Summer Reading Book Club

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 1110 comments Mod
Tonight Show Summer Reads

Summer is here and it’s time to catch up on our summer reading! Jimmy will be choosing one of the five books below to read together with you over our July vacation - based on your votes!

Use the book descriptions below to determine your pick and Vote in the poll at the bottom of this page by noon on Thursday, June 28th. Check back after Jimmy's announcement on the show on Friday, June 29th to find out which book will be our official Tonight Show Summer Read!

Make sure you follow Jimmy Fallon on Instagram and The Tonight Show on Facebook to read along with us! Interact using
#TonightShowSummerReads.

Providence

Providence is a romance, a detective novel, and a thriller, all spellbindingly bound together by the big questions it asks about life and fate.

Whisking readers on a journey through New England via the pulse-pounding story of ill-fated childhood soulmates, Jon and Chloe, and one down on his luck detective, Charles “Eggs” Debenedictus.

The book explores the complex relationship between the powerful and the powerless, love and identity, self-preservation and self-destruction, and how the lines are often blurred between the two.

The Immortalists
It's 1969 in New York City, and word has spread of the arrival of a mystical woman who claims to be able to tell anyone the day they will die. The Gold children sneak out to hear their fortunes, and the prophecies inform their next five decades.

Golden-boy Simon escapes to the West Coast, searching for love in '80s San Francisco; dreamy Klara becomes a Las Vegas magician, obsessed with blurring reality and fantasy; eldest son Daniel seeks security as an army doctor post-9/11; and bookish Varya throws herself into longevity research, where she tests the boundary between science and immortality.

Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone is a fantasy novel inspired by both West Africa and the American black experience.

The novel follows Zélie Adebola, a young woman on a quest to return the magic that was stolen from her people by an oppressive ruling class, while learning to embrace her own magic in an epic adventure set in a world that is both richly fantastical and uncannily reflective of our own society.

The Good Son

Early one morning, twenty-five-year-old Yu-jin wakes up to a strange metallic smell. He soon discovers his mother’s murdered body, lying in a pool of blood at the bottom of the stairs of their stylish Seoul duplex.

All he can remember of the night before is her calling his name. But was she calling for help? Or begging for her life?

Thus begins a frantic three-day search to uncover what happened that night, and to finally learn the truth about himself and his family.

IQ

The LAPD is barely keeping up with East Long Beach’s high crime rate. But someone from the neighborhood has taken it upon himself to help solve the cases the police can't, or won't, touch. They call him IQ.

No one expects a kid from East Long Beach to have what he’s packing - a blistering intellect, an incredible sense of perception, and some serious skills behind the wheel. It all adds up to one major advantage: when you come from nothing, nobody sees you coming.

Vote Below

https://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/...

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1188 comments Mod
I applaud any celebrity's efforts to get people to read more. But I am really not interested in any of these books. So, I'm not voting.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 1110 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "I applaud any celebrity's efforts to get people to read more. But I am really not interested in any of these books. So, I'm not voting."

Me neither...

Not to mention (but I will) I abhorred ALL of Oprah's choices as well.